Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 SR71A Help?? >

SR71A Help??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SR71A Help??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SR721A Help??

I don't see any pipes?
If he has two pipes, and one fan, that's a good place to start getting the other components to match. You are right, that's a dynamax, not a ramtech.
I still stand by any of the BVM engines and fans being the best and most reliable out there. Performance improvement, well...dunno, if you have to neck down the original ducting to match, you might be losing some performance. But performance is relative, in that the BVM engines RUN better, and I'd take a little less peak thrust and a lot more reliability...in other words, total loss of thrust when an engine stops is no performance at all, and in my own experience, BVM setups stop less often than all the others. The OS 91 is a close second...but definitely a second!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Countryboy

Flyjets,

Man, that is like finding the proverbial 63 Corvette that has been stored in some little old ladies garage for the last forty years...well, maybe not to that extreme!!! I say find a local museum for it and let the man's work live on through the eyes of others. There is a reason that you don't see them at many event's....the few Yellow versions I have seen fly were rekitted in short order. Sure, everyone would love too see an R/C version of the SR-71 fly, but the odds of it's success from takeoff to a controlled landing are not in your favor despite your flying ability. Some things are just best left alone for obvious reasons. As an R/C modeler, you have found an R/C treasure...treat it as such.

Ughh, wice mans words.
I entirely agree.

Gudmund
Old 08-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gudmund Malones

ORIGINAL: Countryboy

Flyjets,

Man, that is like finding the proverbial 63 Corvette that has been stored in some little old ladies garage for the last forty years...well, maybe not to that extreme!!! I say find a local museum for it and let the man's work live on through the eyes of others. There is a reason that you don't see them at many event's....the few Yellow versions I have seen fly were rekitted in short order. Sure, everyone would love too see an R/C version of the SR-71 fly, but the odds of it's success from takeoff to a controlled landing are not in your favor despite your flying ability. Some things are just best left alone for obvious reasons. As an R/C modeler, you have found an R/C treasure...treat it as such.

Ughh, wice mans words.
I entirely agree.

Gudmund
Maybe I'm a snob, but the 1933 Winkle Bird factory salesman demonstration model, in it's original shipping crate with all papers, that I was looking at the other day up at Rhinebeck, well...THAT is a museum item. This one, well, it's a 10 year old semi-scale ducted fan model, it's a nice model, but not museum-worthy. Just my take on it. If you CAN find a museum that will take it, you could get a fabulous tax write-off, far beyond what the model is really worth. But I would fly the sucker!
Survive that first flight, THEN look for a museum. And I tend to think the scare stories on SR71s being impossible to fly are myth, I flew a little one(not that it really compares) and at least several of the Yellow ones were flown very successfully, I don't think there is any inherent problem with the design.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:44 PM
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

The pitot fitting for the Ramtech is not ramtech specific, any of the fans can use either pitot or pipe pressure, and it's one of those "two schools of thought" things, I always used pipe pressure, but I'm beginnign to think pitot pressure is better because if the pipe comes out, you engine will still run. Just saw a freind do that the other day with a JHH hawk...something came off the airplane, I did not realize it was the entire pipe!
LOL! I resemble that story .

The Hawk is back in business, I managed to launch off 400 feet of grass a couple times on Thursday night...
Old 08-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Banned

I wasn't namin' names! I should have figured out right away that it was the PIPE that fell out...but I was trying to watch you and BV at the same time, and I wasn't listening to your engine...
Hawk flew pretty well, I have a line on getting them very cheap, I may pick one up. I need it like a hole in the head, of course.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:43 AM

Seal that sucker up and make a plug out of it. You WIll sell every model pulled from the plug. I will buy one for sure!! This pics were taken mid '80s at Woodland-Davis. Still waiting for Cliff?/Chris? to get back to work on this model so that I can buy a fuselage. He is currently working on a U-2 last I heard. Currently living in San Diego. The only all wood kit that I know of is the plans built plane from Knights of the Air plans. There was a guy in Oakdale that I lent to the plans to that had one all built up from balsa and plywood. I lost contact with him and the plans. If anyone knows this Cliff?/Chris guy in San Diego, please get him to get back to work on that SR-71. I am dying to put a single turbine ala Hot Spot/Kangaroo style in the rear of one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70092.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	313054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42122.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	313055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64033.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	313056  
Old 08-21-2005, 02:04 AM

http://www.mmrca.org/lance/sledframe.html

Check out Lance Cambell's project for inspiration. There are threads out there of electric pusher-prop foam models of the SR-71 as well as EDF models. The videos that I have seen show that the SR-71 CAN be flown. I know the light foamies are so much different from the heavier glow/turbine type's but if the power is there, the flight should replicate the smaller model. I have an Enforcer kit in the box that I was thinking of bashing into a Wren powered SR-71. As described in my other post, single engine between the rudders, Hot Spot style. I guess it could be fitted lower inside the fuselage as the one picture shows. I have got the RC Airplane plans for the pusher prop through the wing for the SR-71 also that I may incorporate into my Enforcer bash. If I could get my hands on a fiberglass fuselage, all the better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41821.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	313058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12910.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	313059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98033.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	313060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39527.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	313061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57592.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	313062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du21173.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	313063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs30472.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	313064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kj31334.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	313065  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70976.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	313066  
Old 08-21-2005, 03:57 PM

Ian,
First of all, nice looking plane, I always liked the SR71.

It is good to see you working on installing the gear to fly her. I agree with EASYTIGER, the builder would want it to fly.

Secondly, I work in a National Museum and know we are only really interested in collecting originals, models and/or reproductions are not desirable as storage space is always limited.

Good luck with the test flight.

Peter
Old 09-09-2005, 09:35 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: SR71A Help??

Does any one know where to get the SR-71 plans by Ralph Saldivar?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Banned

A company called Ross Hobbies had the rights to those plans, last I looked.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:33 PM

Ross hobbies is no longer in business appearently.A fellow by the name of Chris Good has them on his web site but trying to download those compromises them to the point of being nonusable.I bought a set drawn by a George Mendenhall off a guy on E-bay but it only had 4 formers for the fuse and nacelles and was missing the other 18 for the fuselage and the other 6 for the nacelles and no wing ribs visible.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:37 AM

im not a jet person so i have no usefull info... but that plane is awesome... you gotta fix her...
Old 11-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Banned

Finally remembered.
I do beleive that is the B-line Models Sr-71.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:10 PM

If it is a B-line model kit -- I found the guy that produced the kits in Grayland WA.
He is going to back into the business after a small break and is in fact at this moment
not only cutting a kit for me but is also building it.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: lowell

If it is a B-line model kit -- I found the guy that produced the kits in Grayland WA.
He is going to back into the business after a small break and is in fact at this moment
not only cutting a kit for me but is also building it.

Lowell,
Which kit? The SR-71? Could you share the contact information?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:54 PM

Yes - The SR-71 I will contact Him and see if He would like his info shared at this time.
If He does -- I will have him get hold of you.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:33 AM

Wayne --- I talked to Buzz and He said I could post His web site here for you.On it you can see some of the planes He has built along with the business name of Sunset Models.He also has pics of the Blacckbird He is building for Me.Although not on his web site I know He also does the A10 Warthog .
His web site can be found at < http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/buzzman56 >
Old 01-13-2006, 01:31 AM
My Feedback: (44)

Ian:

Have you thought of installing ONE 26 lb turbine in the center pod and fly it? You can install a cone that would hide the center turbine when not in flight...(two turbine will end up over 32 lbs...too heavy)