Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 The People You Run Into.... >

The People You Run Into....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The People You Run Into....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The People You Run Into....

Hi,

This story isn't really jet-related, but I thought you guys might find it interesting. It's kinda corny, but for aviation-nostalgia types like me, it has some meaning.

Earlier tonight, I took my wife and son to dinner at Hometown Buffet (I eat a lot, so they HATE to see me coming...). It was relatively full, and it took us a while to find a table against a wall (because my wife is nursing and she likes the extra privacy). We found one and started to have our dinner. It wasn't long before we noticed that the table next to us seated a bunch of unsupervised kids who belonged to an uninterested pair of women at yet another table. Across from the rowdy kids was seated an old man, alone, and not enjoying the noise and mess the kids were making. The kids were running around, throwing handfulls of salt at each other, shooting ice-cream toppings at each other through straws, etc. At one point, after giving the moms the 'hard stare' for a long while, I finally asked the kids to settle down, or at least stop bumping our table. When I said something to the kids, the moms began to say something unfriendly-sounding in a foriegn language. I smiled and said, "Lady, we're just trying to eat our dinner."

After a while, the old man got tired of salt and ice-cream sprinkles landing in or near his food, and decided to get up and try to relocate. Unfortunately, there was really nowhere else to sit. As he walked past us, with his food and drink in-hand, he noticed my son in his car-carrier. He immediately began to smile at him and make baby noises. He excitedly asked his age, told us he was cute, then started to try to tickle him under the chin. Now, normally I draw the line at people touching his face, but this poor guy seemed so irritated before--but now so suddenly happy. That's when he noticed the copy of Model Aviation that I had brought. Now, normally I don't have much use for that mag, but it's something that keeps showing up in the mail and it helps me tune the baby out when he starts fussing...

When he saw the magazine, he lit up like a Christmas tree! Before long, he was asking about models, engines, and whether anyone made a really nice model of an Me-262. Finally, I invited him to sit with us, and he gratefully accepted. The conversation went from 262s to modern model turbines. He was amazed at what I told him. When I asked about his fascination with 262s, he dropped the bomb: He was so interested in them because he had gotten a couple of shots off at one over the skies of Gernamy in WWII! He told me that he was at the controls of a P-51D for four months when he encountered his 262. He was at the controls for about 6 months when he was shot down and captured. He broke several bones by landing in a tree and spent several months as a POW.

At the time we met him, we were about ready to leave. We ended up staying there for another hour and a half. This fellow gave me advice on everything from safe civil aviation to 'love and marriage' to staying healthy by drinking red wine and dancing! He was a delightful old guy who loved life and loved talking. It was clear to me that he was very happy to have someone listening to him and treating him with the proper respect he deserved--not only as a vet, but as a senior citizen. By the time it was time to leave, he did tell me that my courtesy made up for the shameful behavior of those women who didn't care to corral their kids. He mourned the fact that young people these days don't seem to have an respect anymore. After that, he did a little two-step move, complete with a smile and a wink for my wife, then went on his way. Before he did, I stood up and shook his hand, then thanked him for his brave service to our nation and the world in our time of need. Then, he was gone.

After he left, I asked my wife if she saw the way he lit up when I showed him my magazine. She asked me if I saw the way I lit up when he told me he was a combat pilot in WWII. I really felt honored that he had dinner with us. I really felt like finding and choking those kids when I remembered the disdainful looks and comments they and their parents gave him when he moved away from their table. My folks taught me to respect my elders, and I'm glad they did, too. To some people in that dining hall, he was just some old man. It turned out he was a real live hero in a conflict where no less than the freedom of the world was at stake. I guess you just never know....

By the way, I let him keep the magazine.

To all you WWII vets (and all war veterans) who are RCU readers: Thank you for putting it on the line for the rest of us. I appreciate, admire and salute you all.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:53 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The People You Run Into....

Great experience! the WW II vets will be gone sooner than we realize. sometimes its hard to talk to the "old folks" but its amazing what some of them did in there lives. my dad is a Marine that fought in the Pacific, I try to talk about that stuff with him and his buddies that are still with us. they were there! we just read about it.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:12 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Nice story Shaun,
Chris
Old 10-12-2005, 06:25 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Shaun, I grew up in Baltimore flying in the Radio Control Modelers of Baltimore (RCMB). We had a VERY active member, John Kirk. He flew a P-51 towards the end of the war. He was credited with 5 kills (IIRC), one being the very first 262 ever shot down. When I was a kid, the club would have him show some gun camera films that he had acquired from about three of his missions, including the fateful ME-262 shoot-down flight. I always looked forward to that. Mr. Kirk was a fantastic person and his son was one of my friends in the club. Sadly Mr. Kirk died of cancer about 1.5 years ago. I am very glad that I had the opportunity to speak to him a week or so before his final flight and thank him for everything, WW II and all the great times we had as kids in the club.

He is greatly missed.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:16 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Thanks for sharing Shaun!...
tODD
Old 10-12-2005, 07:21 AM

Thanks, great content there.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:51 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Shaun

Thanks for the great story!! I too have had the great privledge of meeting quite a few WW II & Vietnam pilots/heros in my 12 plus years in my business so far-approx. 30-40% of my customer base is senior citizens.I love hearing the stories & I have engaged in hour long conversations as well with these great men of the Wars.I never get tired of talking about the subject of the wars.I have taken a very big interest in the Vietnam war in particular over the years & have done a fair amount of research on it as a result.My old man was in Vietnam altho not a pilot but a doorgunner .He was my biggest hero & growing up I used to love hearing the war stories and he had a lot being that he was there for nearly 3 tours.Thanks again Shaun for the great story!!

Steve
Old 10-12-2005, 08:00 AM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

I was filling my car up a while back, and noticed an older gentleman at the next pump. I am retired airforce, and notice when someone else has a base sticker on their car. As I looked at his car I noticed a World War II Glider Pilot sticker! I walked over and asked him if he was a glider pilot in WWII, and he said that he had landed in Normandy during the invasion! Wow, talk about guts. We chatted for a few minutes, and I thanked him for being a hero. It is not some guy who can hit a baseball or a 3 pointer who is a hero in my book. It is the guy at the next table or gas pump just going about his day who had the courage to do the remarkable when the chips were down.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:07 AM
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Great story. I work with a P-47 pilot who flew in Italy, he is a really nice guy, a true officer and gentleman
Old 10-12-2005, 08:17 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Amen to that,you sure got that right.The biggest heros in my book other than my father that I have seen in my lifetime thus far are the great men that made the ultimate sacrifice at 9-11 & the pilots/soldiers that fought for the freedom & honor of our great country.There simply are no greater heros than these great men!!

Here is a long story short ,last month I did a job for a customer (a woman) whom at first I thought to myself what a bitter woman with a attitude problem.It wasn't until I was at her house for an hour or so that I realized the reason for her position/demeanor.She recently lost her husband-a Seal team 3 member & sniper(only 32 years old) He was one of the local five Navy Seals that were killed last year in Afganistan when their mission went terribly wrong .She was ok to talk about it for about 15 mins before she broke down.She showed me his metals,many photos taken & the makeshift memorial that she had setup in the room over the garage.I felt so aweful for her and her kids are so young to have lost their father.All 3 of her kids were under the age of 10.I told her as I left that day that your husband is a great hero of this country,be proud of him.I could tell she really appreciated that

Steve
Old 10-12-2005, 09:55 AM

Shaun:

That's a great story, and I appreciate seeing stuff like that here.

What amazes me about these WWII fighter pilots is how full of life they still are. I have had occasion to meet a few at various airshows around the country and of course to hear them interviewed on various television programs. These guys just seem to seize every moment of life and live it to the fullest. It's almost as if what they saw as kids has prompted them to enjoy every second of life. It also blows me away how many of them are still excellent pilots. Wow!

Anyway, thanks again.

Antony
Old 10-12-2005, 11:44 AM

very nics story with the old man.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 10-13-2005, 12:15 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Good stuff all the way around! I too have had the priviledge of meeting a few WWII pilots, USA, German, Russian, and Brit. All were, as already said, full of life and lit up when talking about their experiences. Not many chances like this any more.
Rob / katchmarek
Old 10-13-2005, 02:17 AM
My Feedback: (1)

There are more posts lately thanking WWII vets for their service. My avatar is ballgunner because I was one and darned proud of it.
Now it is the turn of the WWII vets to thank all of you who can remember. We were boys suddenly turned into men and thought we were pretty hot stuff. We missed the folks back home but didn't worry about them because they were in the good 'ol USA workiing to give us what we needed. Our B-24 was shot up one one mission. When we got back it was scrapped on the spot. Two weeks later we were shot down good and had to jump over enemy territory from 16,000'. I was asked when I got home if there were any practice jumps and had to explain that "there ain't no such thing". I now am a member of the American Ex POWs. Late in the war so it didn't last long for me. I just received a letter yesterday advising the my Tail Gunner just went to his reward a week ago. He never really recovered from his POW experience. There are now just three of Vosper's Vultures left. Waist Gunner, Radio Operator, and the Ballgunner. We will always be like brothers as we werein Italy.
For all of the younger people who have taken the time to think about us old coots and say thank you let us say a heartfelt thank you for remembering. You make me proud that what little I contributed to the Great Unpleasantness. THANK YOU
Old 10-13-2005, 11:38 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

This is a great story.
Here is mine.........
I have always respected all of those who fought and continue to fight to protect our freedom. I'm Canadian, but I do believe the USA provides the blanket of freedom we all sleep under. You don't have to agree with me, but since we are free, I hope people respect my freedom to believe that.
When I painted my Harley over the past winter, I wanted it to represent who I am, and my feelings and respect for the USA and those who have fought to protect the freedoms we enjoy. Being in Canada, I do get some very negative comments, but it's all worthwhile when I get the good comments.

Twice now, American Vets have seen my bike here in central Alberta, and shook my hand thanking me for what I have presented on my bike. They are amazed when they find out that I'm 28, and feel the way I do. My bike represents who I am, but more importantly, it represents my gratitude to all veterans out there.
The back fender is what really gets to most people. It amazes me how many people don't even know what the POW*MIA flag is, but those who do, truly appreciate that I proudly show it. It has nothing to do with OCC, or being cool, I painted my bike this way, not to receive compliments, or have people thank me for remebering, but to thank those who should be remembered.

Jeremy

Old 10-14-2005, 12:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice Jeremy!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome paint job Jeremy (as usual). I can never seem to achieve that with Krylon!
Old 10-14-2005, 10:41 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Since we're telling stories, I have to tell you mine. A long time ago, more than I care to think about, I was in the Navy as a hospital corpsman. I was stationed at Oak Knoll Naval Hospital in Oakland. Most of the time, patients would pass through the SICU in a whirlwind fashion, not staying long enough to get to know. However, one older gentleman was admitted for what turned out to be an extremely long stay. A very quiet soft spoken man who felt embarrassed to "bother" anyone. One of his family told me he used to be a pilot. I grew up in the Air Force, been around planes all my life, so I started talking to him about his past. Turns out that this man has a place in history. His name was John Macready. He was a test pilot during or just after WW1. He also was one of two pilots that made the first transcontinental flight. I think he appreciated that someone had similar interests and was willing to listen to his stories. I'll never forget him, because he became more than just another patient passing through. Rick
Old 10-14-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Shaun,
I don't think your story is corny at all. The number of these people around are getting fewer every year, but I never fail to feel humble when I meet one of these people.
I never met my paternal uncle. He dissapeared in a Hurricane over France in early 1940. He was 18. I have just been sorting out some possesion of my aunt. Amongst them were photos of 3 of my maternal uncles, all in khaki fighting with Montgomery at El Alemein. Two of them were decorated. I never knew this until now. They would never talk of what they did or what they saw, only that it had to be done.
Last week I went to a lecture by a guy who was a Spitfire ace in the Battle of Britain, and then went on to join 617 Squadron after the dams raid.
Tony explained to us the most famous operation that he was involved in, bombing the Tirpitz. It took them 3 goes to get it but in the end 617 squadron caught up with with this most menacing axis capital ship. Two direct hits from 15,000 feet with tallboys condemmed her. Apparently the boffins maintained that the near miss produced a trough in the sea bed under her that was big enough to suck her over and capsize her. Nearly 1000 German sailors (honourable combatants) lost their lives. 6 ton supersonic bombs do not need a direct hit to be deadly!
18 bombs went down in 41/2 minutes before the Lancasters turned for home.
At the end I shook his hand and told him that he and his comrades had been heros of mine since I was a boy of 10. They still are. He just smiled at me and said it was just a job. That such brave people can be so modest, so matter of fact is amazing.
Can you imagine any one of our kids understanding what these people sacrificied and why? I doubt it.
I am hounoured to have met this gentleman and am grateful for the sacrifices that were made by all these brave people so we can be free today.We will remember them
John
Old 10-16-2005, 09:58 PM

Great stuff, but lets try to remember that ALL the vets that fought in ALL the wars are as much Heroes as the Pilots. None of us need to wait to meet a Fighter pilot to pass out thanks and show our gratitude. We come into contact with folks in all walks of life that spent time
"Over There", and we should Thank them. Every Time. I know I do. Thanks for allowing me to post.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

We should always cherish these brave men and women for their contribution during the wars. Never forget all the other nations who shared the fight also. They've all earned their respect, even if sometimes they're not given it.
I am always in awe of these people - I hope I get the chance to sit and talk to a hero someday.
Great story Shaun...
Old 10-17-2005, 06:07 PM
My Feedback: (94)

Great Story Shaun thanks for sharing, let's not forget though there are still a lot of young people with respect for the past even though there are definately some disrespectful kids and irresponcible parents out ther.

While we're sharing stories, last summer when my friend Chris graduated AF pilot school (He's flying F-15's now so that gives me a must do future project) his grandfather in-law (sisters husband's father) was there. He flew P-47s right at the end of the second war and was also a Tuskegee Airman. It was really great to be able to spend time with him, even though he didn't like to talk much about the past I was really honored to be in his presence and be able to shake the hand that not only flew the planes that saved the free world but also made a stand in the United States that help to change unjustices here at home. It was really a touching moment when he pinned the "wings" on Chris at the "pinning ceremony" (I know thats probally not the right wording). It was an eary yet delightful feeling to see the "wings" being passed on from one generation to another, kind of made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Here's a picture that we took that day.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my mum (mom)! had a minor operation a few months back. the lady in the bed next to her was fascinated to hear all about my love of airplanes and models. i went to visit and was soon in indepth discussion with joyce about the construction, engine ground running and her liscence to taxi beaufighters in australia during ww2. her eyes light up with when i mention the nickname "whispering death", sleeve valve engines made the beaufighter quiet and sudden. then tears begin as she tells me about the girls who built these aircraft and the way they kept track of every plane in every squadron for over 50 years, some are still lost she explains. and then visiting is over and i have to go. and joyce thanks me!! just for knowing!! humbled doesn't even begin to explain.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

To all you WWII vets (and all war veterans) who are RCU readers: Thank you for putting it on the line for the rest of us. I appreciate, admire and salute you all.
Shaun, and all others who've posted,

I just came from my grandfathers house this evening, he was on the phone talking to his buddy Col. Carter (pictured with him below next to P-51 taken last summer) I figured I'd go hang out with him for few before he heads off to Iraq for two weeks to talk to the troops. The two of them as well as 4 other Tuskegee Airmen are leaving tommorow. I showed him this thread when he got off the phone and he sat there at the computer for about 30 minutes reading through all the posts and stories then he had a few things to say, so as usual, I got out my pen and paper....................................

"Thank these guys for their appreciation of what we all went through. It's nice to see the whole world remembers all the veterens of the wars. It was'nt just the pilots, it was everybody that was involved in one way or another and we all suffered, so we appreciate it when there are things like this for us to see and read about; every statue, picture or article matters............even more so these days.

As far as the Tuskegee Airmen are concerned, we had to fight two wars. We had the prejudice at home to fight as well as the enemy overseas. There's not a lot of coverage on us in the books; so we are the books."

I asked him why he feels it's important to go to Iraq now............."Because when we were enlisted men, our goal as Tuskegee Airmen was to prove to America and the world, that we could do all the things they said we were not capable of. It's an honor to be called back to speak to the current heros of today just as much as it was an honor to defend the freedom we all enjoy now over 60 years ago. The reason why we made it is because we stuck together and helped each other out.

It gets real lonely over there from time to time and these men and women right now are looking forward to us coming there to talk for a bit. It's nice to know when your in a battle like this that the folks back home are thinking about you."

Even after WWII my grandfather spent time in Germany helping to train what would become the new German Airforce then returned to the states as a recruiter for the Army and the Air Force (last pic) for 4 years. (flying jobs were'nt available here) As he looks back on that duty now, all he said was "conditions never really changed from how the were overseas." with a chuckle.
Finally he said...................."When it's all said and done, its important to never give up and if you have a goal, you will eventually reach it, you just do what you can and work together for peace."

George Watson Sr.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62661.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	341822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74162.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	341823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29542.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	341824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19886.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	341825  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.