Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 KYOSO SABRE F86 - HELP NEEDED PLEASE >

KYOSO SABRE F86 - HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

KYOSO SABRE F86 - HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYOSO SABRE F86 - HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Bit of a long shot, but here goes.....later versions of this kyosho kit had a "Power Pack" added to the contents. It consisted mainly of a bungee, sheet of lightweight glass sheeting and a few other bits and pieces [including a black bin bag which should come in handy], I think it was an attempt to improve thrust/grass strip takeoffs after some critism of the early kits in this area.

Has anyone got a copy of the instructions regarding these mods [preferably in english...dont ask, or can anyone translate german model terminolgy to english...dont ask]. I think the observant will have spotted the problem I have by now!!

The mods suggested by kyosho look as if [from the pics which are in english] they will be easier to carry out whilst assembling rather than retro fitting. All reviews Ive come across were of the early kits and none mention the mods. I have contacted kyosho but they might as well be talking chinese for all the sense they make!

Looking forward to some interesting replies [and plenty of horror stories of this kit]
Old 10-19-2005, 02:14 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: KYOSO SABRE F86 - HELP NEEDED PLEASE

I have the "new" F-86.

The only news is it has the glass exhaust duct included to improve performance.

My pics: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...Cf%2D86/tm.htm

Video of mine here: http://media.putfile.com/f-862
Old 10-19-2005, 03:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi , I had one and now it is hanging up in the shop, put to rest after a great year of flying. I had 219 flights on the original motor and fan. Flew it at alot of jet rallies and burned alot of fuel having fun.

If you want it to fly great, cut a large hole in the bottom of the wing just in front of the fan. You will be able to close up all of those other holes after this they just cause drag. I too added a plastic thrust tube in the rear and it helped alot. This is what you are looking for in a cheap mod.

Good luck , I have moved on to my BVM Bandit now, but had a great time with the little plane.

William "BANDIT BOY #1"

Old 10-20-2005, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Have you got any images showing how and where you positioned the extra wing air intakes, and also where you felt the best balance point should be [as far as I can tell this ranges from 160-190mm from the leading edge], and it seems a few met any early demise due to an incorrect cog! Also what % nitro fuel did you feel worked best?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:59 AM
SJN

I flew min at 16-17cm. I think this is whats stated in the updated instructions sheet i got with my kit.

I used 30% cool power fuel in mine, with an OS A4 plug.
I have see the wing intakes mod on another plane.
You just cut the skin away from the upper and lower part of the wing just infront of the aileron servo.

I have been thinking of moving the fan further forward under the cockpit. It needs too much lead balast in the nose at the moment to get the correct CG.
this would move the CG forward, and move the fan closer to the intake......
Old 10-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SJN

I flew min at 16-17cm. I think this is whats stated in the updated instructions sheet i got with my kit.

I used 30% cool power fuel in mine, with an OS A4 plug.
I have see the wing intakes mod on another plane.
You just cut the skin away from the upper and lower part of the wing just infront of the aileron servo.

I have been thinking of moving the fan further forward under the cockpit. It needs too much lead balast in the nose at the moment to get the correct CG.
this would move the CG forward, and move the fan closer to the intake......
I moved the fan forward on one of my Sabres, causes more complication that it's worth.

I don't know about any new supplemental instructions, but the bungee should be pretty self-explanatory, and the tailcone is easy.
Use even MORE nitro, 40% and up, and a McCoy 9 plug.
MANY met an early demise from an incorrect CG on the plans on the early kits. Total blunder by Kyosho. Low power and aft CG and first time jet pilots, man, that's a bad combination.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:04 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

how its flyes?????

very nice lookin plane

can you relax while fly it or its demanting??

rgerds

george
greece
Old 10-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Banned

Very demanding because it has so little power, you can't get too slow, you need to watch it or you fall into a spin. Much more of a pain to fly than most planes. Not fast, though.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:34 AM
SJN

You cant realy relax when flying this plane....it wants to loose altitude all the time

maybe if it had more power........
Old 10-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Lambert Micro turbine anyone?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:38 PM
My Feedback: (1)

You can relax after you make you first turn after take off.

On take off , I always used a hard runway, 40% nitro, oil my axles good, don't have a steep climb out , easy and level on the first turn, go for air speed not altitude!!!!!!!!!!!!

The plane is what it is something to have fun with unless you want to dump a turbine in it , just have fun with low passes and lots of touch and go's to learn how to land better. I could only get it to go to 500 ft once , burned too much fuel tring to get there, forget it , just have fun.

William

p.s. the only reason that I stopped flying the plane was that the pull cord broke off after 219 flights and I was not going back into that tight space to replace it, but she was very very good to me I would fly her for hours and pass it over to my buddy Jim Hiller to have some fun with over and over, it was sick how much fun we had.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dave03B

Lambert Micro turbine anyone?
Oh, that would be :PERFECT. I think Dave Wilshire may be working on one like that.

I have to say, I have had a LOT of fun with this model, I think I have gone through three of them. My current one has a Tokifan in it, a little better performance, but she's hanging on the wall awaiting overhaul.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:04 AM

Thanks everyone, how does this plan sound:

40[ish]% nitro
hotplug
COG 160 [early flights]
hard strip
use the modified thrust tube
dont make any additional air vents initially
remove u/c after trim flight
gentle climbout after takeoff and fly real smooth

Ill post the results if anyones interested, in a couple of weeks time
Old 10-22-2005, 10:26 AM
My Feedback: (7)

I would have to agree with t33jetman, the F-86 is a blast to fly. I have over 300 flights with the old version without a thrust tube, I later closed up the aux inlets and added a cheater hole in the wing center section. This increases the top speed, but the climb rate is about the same.
With 30% heli fuel, the model will loop from level flight and take-off in under 200ft. As others in this post have said, keep your take-off climb and turn out very shallow and all will be well.

Rob B.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Banned

I just got a brand-new Sabre yesterday, it has the Toki engine and pipe, in the Kyosho fan. Will try it out tomorrow.
Anybody remember the CG on this plane? I don't have the manual, and the marking is wiped off the bottom of my other sabre...
Old 10-22-2005, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

I just got a brand-new Sabre yesterday, it has the Toki engine and pipe, in the Kyosho fan. Will try it out tomorrow.
Anybody remember the CG on this plane? I don't have the manual, and the marking is wiped off the bottom of my other sabre...
Old 10-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Banned

Wiped off because I drew it on with a sharpie, and sharpie ink is not fuelproof! Not because I crashed it!

So...who remembers the correct CG?
Old 10-23-2005, 04:17 AM
SJN

16 to 17 cm`s in the update sheet........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80092.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	342756  
Old 10-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

Not very interesting, but here's a photo of the new Sabre I picked up, all built, with two out of four servos, a Hitec 555 RX in the wrong(airtronics) pulse shift I can't use, battery, and Toki 18 and pipe installed. It was cheap. Did not get a chance to fly it yet.
SJN, you know, you could have ironed that instruction sheet flat before posting it! Is that 160 back from the LE?

Name:	Vt57161.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	343086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51810.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	343087  
Old 10-24-2005, 04:12 AM
SJN

Get a better monitor, so you can read it

yes, it is 160mm to 170mm from the LE.

Name:	Mk27680.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	343304  
Old 10-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: SJN

Get a better monitor, so you can read it

yes, it is 160mm to 170mm from the LE.
I'm using a MonitorJoe, it works fine! Mostly.

By the way...there is ANOTHER brand of engines coming from China soon. That's all I'm saying!

I took the Sabre and three other planes out to FBF in the howling wind and rain late this afternoon. After just a minute of running, it went BANG and the rotor flew off. The engine would not turn over, I bet it's a thrown rod. I have spare engines, though. Maybe later this week. So much for instant gratification.
All my planes refused to start or otherwise gave trouble today. I think it was their own sense of self-preservation, not being wanted to be flown in a measured 35 knot gale. Went home pengiun style. Having done no flying.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:31 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have converted one to EDF with great results. It flies better than the glow version. Just bought another one to convert.
Bob