Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Carbon Fiber Plate, How to cut it? >

Carbon Fiber Plate, How to cut it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Carbon Fiber Plate, How to cut it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 03:35 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Plate, How to cut it?

I was making a landing gear support for my Eurosport from 3.0 mm carbon plate. I cut the plate out on my scroll saw but it took three blades to cut the support out. The teeth on my blades were worn right off..... What is the correct tool/blade for cutting this type of material??

TIA,
Todd
Old 11-08-2002, 04:18 PM

i use hand saw with steel blade(the yellow kind) or the dremmel fiber cutter, i had the same problem with the scroll blades;-)
good luck!
Old 11-08-2002, 04:45 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Check out Art's Hobby...he carries diamond cut-off wheels for
carbon fiber plate cutting.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on what kind of saw you are using you should be able to get an abrasive composite blade for it. This is the same type of blade that is used for cutting formica. They do not have teeth on them, instead they have and abrasive surface bonded to the front of the blade.
I use a cheap little Black and Decker scroll saw and I can get the blades for it at Home Depot.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:09 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default Cutting CF Plate

We use & recommend abrasive type cutters for CF plate. We cut plates to size, in our shop, with a wet tile cutter abrasive wheel or with a 10" diamond table saw blade (big $). For small parts and occasional use, use a diamond wheel, diamond rotary tool bits or carbide rotary tool bits. Abrasive sanding drums also work well for final shaping. Make sure you use gloves and wear a dust mask. Nasty stuff to breath or get into your skin.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:48 PM

Default cutting CF plate

Aw c'mon Todd -- don't you have a high pressure water cutter in your workshop? Get with the program man :-)

Seriously though, if you put that stuff as the landing gear support you have simply transferred the point of failure to the next weakest component in line. That could well be either the point at which your landing gear mounts into your wing, or part of your gear.

Antony
Old 11-08-2002, 09:13 PM

Anthony...
True! Although this is for the nose gear on the Eurosport. The original plate was Glassed Ply and seemed a bit weak for grass field usage, I duplicated the plate with Carbon and only threaded the gear into the carbon with no nuts. Still have a weak point if it is needed but it wont break the gear plate and send the gear thru my intakes! Rather rip the gear out of the plate then break the plate and destroy my intakes (and possible FOD! .
Thanks for the heads up though.....

Regards,
Todd
Old 11-08-2002, 11:46 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default CF plate

Speaking of CF plates, what exactly is the 'Flex' plate landing gear mount, or design.

A LG mount plate fixed or held at one or 2 sides which 'gives' a little?

What would be the minimum jet weight at which the 'flex' plate design is beneficial and worth its added weight?

L Turner
Old 11-09-2002, 11:14 PM

Default makes sense

Hey Todd:

I should have known you would have thought it through. It sounds like a good plan since the screws into the CF are now most likely the point of failure

Antony
Old 11-10-2002, 12:49 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a router (or even a strong moto tool) then just buy a solid carbide spiral bit, 1/8" diameter. You can cut tons of CF sheet and fibreglass with that and they are available at any woodworking tool shop.

I use my full size bandsaw with bimetal teeth blade - keep an old blade just for cutting FG and CF. It isnt much good for cutting wood afterwards since the set is gone right away, but it still cuts the composites fine. Scroll saw blades arent made out of agood enough steel.

Both methods work well, spiral carbide bit is better for cutting out holes and small sections.

AJC
Old 11-10-2002, 01:21 PM

Default CF Plate

Hi Todd:

Nice chatting again at FIJR. What a great FlyIn!

I did some tests on the 2.5mm CF plate I got from "Art's Hobbies" Gajewski before using it to beef up the gear in my 25lb dry AD F-16 with heavy Airmagic Gear.

I threaded the plate for 6/32 steel machine bolts--no need for blind nuts then. I then took a small piece and hammered it, put it is a vice and used a small crow bar---->this stuff does not strip out. The bolt will snap first. I mean, it's like hardened steel.

The stuff BV uses for his flex plates is different, and quite a bit softer and will strip out, but it takes allot of force to do it.

Like Antony say, the stress will be transferred, so be sure you have as much contact surface as possible area to distribute the rip-out forces.

I love this stuff. Agree with all the cutting comments. I use a Sears 10" Bandsaw with a 1/4"--15 tooth blade for the rough cuts and a carbide spiral and various sanding drums for finish work. Like AJ says, once you cut CF, the blade looses it's hone for fine wood cutting, especially hardwoods, so I keep it as a spare.

Enjoy the weather down there. We're freezing up here.

Tom
Old 11-12-2002, 03:13 PM

Hey Tom,

Yes, it was good to see you too.... Looks like it is going to get a bit cold here in the next few days (60's ) I guess its time to break out the winter jackets .

I found a spiral blade that fits my scroll saw that seems to hold up well to the CF. Not sure how long it will last, only did some small cuts with it but so far, so good.

I did test the bolts into the carbon last night and your right, it really does hold! I ended up drilling out half the threads to reduce the amount grabbing the CF, hope that works. On the ES the gear plate is huge and I dont want it ripping out!

Guess the next time i'll see you is FJ 2003?
Stay warm!
BRG,
Todd
Old 11-15-2002, 10:50 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default breathing

Todd:

You're wearing a mask when you cut this stuff right?

It's worse for lungs than asbestos - no exageration required.

You prob'ly knew that...