Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 wren starter motor ??? >

wren starter motor ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

wren starter motor ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wren starter motor ???

hi guys i have a wren 54 mk3 that i have about 20 flights on and on the last day of flying the starter motor stopped working correctly it would not start running until you tapped it lightly with your finger then it would work ok , my turbine starts on the first or second spin so it was not a great issue for the day but when i landed and shut down the turbine off it would do the same thing on the cool down cycle - what are the starter motors ? a high dollar motor or a common
type 6 or 12 volt motor i need to get a new one for next year
just check in if this is common for the starter motors to go bat so soon & what do i need for a replacement
thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 10:59 AM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: wren starter motor ???

Sounds like you have a loose connection. Check to make sure that you have good solder joints at the motor terminals. The motor should last a lot longer than 20 flights.

To answer your question the motor is a common hobby motor. I don't know exactly which one your Wren uses. My Ram 500 uses a speed 280 motor. When mine went bad I just took the motor to my local hobby shop and matched it to one they had in stock for about $9.00. Someone else who owns a Wren can chime in, or you can take out the motor to see if it is marked.

Good luck,
Joe
Old 12-20-2005, 11:12 AM

Six,

The motor is a ball-raced 280BB from Multiplex. If you replace it you will need a new Bendix clutch as well, because it is virtually impossible to remove the motor shaft from the bendix.
Contact us directly on [email protected] for more information.

Regards
Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
Old 12-20-2005, 11:57 AM

Definitely worth taking the plastic cover off, checking the terminals all the way back to the ECU.

If it works fine, but intermittently, its almost certainly a duff connection. I did not do a good job of soldering when I put my kit together and it was the plastic cap being put on that made me realise I had to do a better job![:@] Not saying your soldering is bad, but maybe dislodged by the cap.

Good luck!

Gazzer
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 PM

thanks every one i will check the wiring for any issues
terry g
Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 PM
My Feedback: (39)

SIX,