Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
BVM Tire Replacement >

BVM Tire Replacement

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Tire Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 02:11 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BVM Tire Replacement

Just changed out worn tires on my Avonds F-15 which uses the BVM 3 1/2 inch mains with brakes. I thought for a moment or two at the critical point of getting the new tire on the hub that a hernia or, worse yet, dropping the family jewels, was about to occur. Darn, that was hard! I used vaseline on the tire to make the job easier - needed it on my sore muscles after that! Anyone come up with an easy way to do this job that they would like to share? Will probably need to do this task again in another 3 months. The F-15 has 112 flights to date.
Regards,
Rob
Old 02-09-2002, 02:14 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go Rob. I'll bet that chore beats out hitting balls around the golf course.

Bob
Old 02-09-2002, 02:30 AM
My Feedback: (1)

The easy way to do it is mix up some soapy water and put it all over the tire, and rim. Now put the rim on the floor on a piece of wood. Lay the tire on top of it lined up with the rim. Then STOMP it, works every time and is a helluva lot easier than trying to muscle it on.

David Reid
Old 02-09-2002, 02:36 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BVM tires

Better yet just send them back to BVM and let them do it!
Old 02-09-2002, 03:32 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default BVM Tire replacement

I have a small arbor press. It is old and ugly, kinda like me, but is does the job quite well, kinda like me too. You can buy an arbor press at many small tool outlets, like Harbor Freight, or any one of many other similar places.

Apply some dishwashing liquid to the entire bead area of the tire, place the wheel on the platen, add the tire above it, then place a scrap piece of 1/2 inch thick wood slightly larger than the tire diameter, lower the ram and pull on the handle. You now have a mounted tire!.

Squeeze the tire radially with your hand to ensure that the bead is totally seated, and the tire is ready for drilling.

Using your drill press (you do have one don't you?), and a #53 drill, drill the holes from the screwhead side of the wheel, and push the screws through. Tighten the screws down, and the job is done.

Last week I mounted up two pairs of tires for spare mains on my BobCat XL in less than an hour. Start to finish.

The field that I have been flying from is very abrasive, and I have been landing with about 50% brakes applied. Too agressive with the brakes and you have square tires in about four landings. The fifth takeoff is really a "shaker" on square hides. I think that I'll back off on the brake application to get some better tire wear.

Good luck with your tire changes. A small arbor press can be had for under $25.00 You can use the press for many other jobs around the shop.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
RAM REP
Buy American!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2002, 04:12 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

get a cheep plastic spinner that fits on the wheel/

put the tire in a container of water and put it in the microwave to boil

soap up the spinner and shove the tire over hte spinner

good luck

matt
Old 02-09-2002, 04:20 AM
My Feedback: (6)

I HAVE FOUND THAT PLEDGE DUSTING WAX IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS, WE USE THIS ON AXEL BOOTS AT OUR SHOP. IT EVEN DRIES UP. I CAN PRESS THE TIRES ON BY HAND WITH SOME EFFORT . WORKS FOR ME, YOU MUST TRY THIS!!
SCOTT
Old 02-09-2002, 04:55 AM
My Feedback: (26)

Default Tire replacement

I agree with David R, but instead of useing soppy water i used WD 40 worked like a charm ~JOHN BANNER~
Old 02-09-2002, 11:41 PM

I agree that you need some type of lubricant, and then you need some sort of press. I tried the stomping on the floor method, but I could not always stomp the correct way. I ended up placing the rim/tire between two pieces of wood, and using a C-clamp to apply pressure to the pieces of wood. This had worked out very well.

The drill press method for drilling the holes works very well as well. The hole in the rubber needs to be centered with respect to the threads in the rim. Start the drill on the side of the rim with the threaded holes and drill through to the other side. You should be able to finish a wheel/tire assembly in about 10 minutes.

Mike Danchak