Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Tank plumbing help - MiG15 >

Tank plumbing help - MiG15

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tank plumbing help - MiG15

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tank plumbing help - MiG15

I am building a MiG15 (BVM) kit which has a thread running here on RCU, as this is my first jet, and its a commission build I am looking for some pointers for plumbing the kevlar tanks, mainly as a result of reading a thread regarding 'flameouts'.

I have the plumbing worked out as to the links etc but need to know what is the prefered system.

The three tanks all have connectors for 6mm tube, which I will connect via 6mm Festo anti-static tube, with various Festo push fit connectors - here are my questions:

1 - Do you need to prepare the ends of the tube, other than a clean cut before inserting into the Festo connectors?
2- Will a 6mm tube connect directly onto a pump, or do you have to make sure the pump has the right connector?
3- The turbine I believe will be a P80 (Jetcat), what size is the fuel feed connector to this?
4- I assume you need to keep the pump to turbine fuel feed as short as possible?
5- Do pumps have smaller outlet connectors than inlet, and if so is it OK to connect say a 6mm inlet, to a 4mm outlet?
6- What is the prefered fuel line to go between the pump and turbine?

The flameout thread discussed poor siteing of fuel pump, too far away from turbine, and also the use of thinner more restrictive fuel lines, I think 4mm for the whole system.

Any pointers would appreciated.

Marc.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:06 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tank plumbing help - MiG15

ORIGINAL: marc s

I am building a MiG15 (BVM) kit which has a thread running here on RCU, as this is my first jet, and its a commission build I am looking for some pointers for plumbing the kevlar tanks, mainly as a result of reading a thread regarding 'flameouts'.

I have the plumbing worked out as to the links etc but need to know what is the prefered system.

The three tanks all have connectors for 6mm tube, which I will connect via 6mm Festo anti-static tube, with various Festo push fit connectors - here are my questions:

1 - Do you need to prepare the ends of the tube, other than a clean cut before inserting into the Festo connectors?
2- Will a 6mm tube connect directly onto a pump, or do you have to make sure the pump has the right connector?
3- The turbine I believe will be a P80 (Jetcat), what size is the fuel feed connector to this?
4- I assume you need to keep the pump to turbine fuel feed as short as possible?
5- Do pumps have smaller outlet connectors than inlet, and if so is it OK to connect say a 6mm inlet, to a 4mm outlet?
6- What is the prefered fuel line to go between the pump and turbine?

The flameout thread discussed poor siteing of fuel pump, too far away from turbine, and also the use of thinner more restrictive fuel lines, I think 4mm for the whole system.

Any pointers would appreciated.

Marc.
Hi Marc,
1. Clean cut works fine / is required.
2. Find fuel connectors that are made to step up or down in size. Example 6mm > 4mm. I believe festo makes these. I believe the fuel pump connectors for all JetCat pumps are 4mm. In fact all fuel system tubing as depicted in their manual shows 4mm, except for a step down connector to 3mm for the starting gas line. The JetCat fuel system diagram does show 6mm coming from the UAT stepping down to 4mm into the fuel pump.

http://www.jetcatusa.com/PDFFiles/In...al%20V5.1E.pdf

It is critical to have a very tight leak proof fit with all fuel system connections...a fuel pump sucking air from any point in the fuel system will cause flame outs. Air bubble flameouts are usually followed by smoke puffs.

Clean shutdowns / flameouts are caused by electrical malfunction of some sort or just running out of fuel.
As short a line from the pump to turbine is best.. JetCat supplies very good quality tubing. Once setup properly it will remain leak proof for several years. My MIG's fuel system was working perfectly after 6 years!
Lee