Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Tam gear failsafe system >

Tam gear failsafe system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tam gear failsafe system

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tam gear failsafe system

Hi
This device sounds really nice, but...
If it monitors air pressure in the pneumatic landing gear system and there are also an independent air system for doors, I can see only 2 ways to go:
Either you have to buy 2 devices to monitor each independent system or make a dependent air system with 2 bottles and one gear fail safe.
Am I seeing it clarly or these is other way to go?
Nuno
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99049.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	647591  
Old 03-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tam gear failsafe system

Tam's system works perfect. You connect the failsafe system to your gear channel in your RX and the reatract valve depending on which one you have gets connected in to the failsafe system. If you have 2 separate valves wether they are electronic or servo operated, you connect the 2 to the system. If one of the 2 looses air, it will tell the box to drop your gear.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:26 PM

So, the air gear and door air bottles, are connected to the Tams gear failsafe, working at the same pressure?
Nuno
Old 03-22-2007, 05:42 PM
My Feedback: (61)

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Nuno,
Most flyers have the doors and gear on the same air supply. The gear servo and door servo plug into the sequencer. The sequencer plugs into the Tams Failsafe. The tams unit then plugs into the RX gear channel. When the pressure drops the Tams tells the sequencer to go into action, opening the doors and dropping the gear. I have been saved some gear up landings with this device and highly recommend it on your jet(s).

V..
Old 03-22-2007, 05:50 PM

ok
thanks for the inputs. I have saved one.. was planning to buy 2 of these...
Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Johnny and Vin for chime in.
Our device save us from belly landing many time. Never fly without one.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:59 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Nuno,
It does make it a little more difficult the way you want two seperate air cans.
This may be a resolution.
Connect your lines for gear doors down to the gear down source line. This way when the gear is commanded down the air runs to both the down side of the retract units and the down side of the gear doors. The smaller door cylinders will open before the bigger cylinder retract units.
That way if pressure drops in your gear air tank the failsafe will sense it and command opening(gear down) before you lose all the air. You can still use an alternate source (your second air tank) for the gear closing and brakes.

Other scenario is to tee the two cans together which it sounds like you do not want.

If you keep the sytems seperate it should still be okay depending on the model.
If the gear air tank gets low the failsafe commands the gear down sequence which your doors should work normal since they are off a seperate tank with full pressure.
If the door tank gets low then worst case is the doors will partially open and then the gear should still be able to push its way out if there is no pressure in the door cylinders. (which there shouldn't be if a leak in the door air storage tank was the problem)

Thats what I can think of off hand, there is probably a few more ways as well. Depending on how many gear doors there are I would tie the door opening lines into the gear down source line.

Tam's failsafe is an absolute must either way...I have one and it has done its job as advertised. A leaking fill valve was the culprit.
Mark
Old 03-22-2007, 06:31 PM
My Feedback: (4)

All,
Another feature of the TamJets Landing gear failsafe is that the landing gear will not retract when you turn the Tx and Rx on if the landing gear Tx switch is in the "Up" position.
Test it yourself. Here's the procedure:
With the airplane on the ground or bench, and the landing gear in the "Down" position,

1. Rx and Tx off.
2. Tx landing gear switch to the "Up" position.
3. Tx "ON".
4. Rx "ON".
The landing gear will still be in the "Down" position.

5. landing gear "UP" command will retract the gear.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM

Good point there Mark. Thanks. The model is a Feibao F18F (like Skymaster)with 3 gear doors in the front and 6 in the rear. I don't necesarily want to make it with 2 separate cans, but the idea you brought in seems great.. What is the best lay-out? I guess that with all these gear doors cilinders (9 in total), might be good to have a can for down gear and doors with Tams device connected and the other can for up, both doors and gear.
Ssssshhhhhh.....don't tell anybody, it is my first jet.
Nuno
Old 03-23-2007, 07:27 AM

Final input, please...
Nuno
Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
My Feedback: (12)

All the gear valves I know about you can only use one source of air for both up an down. You need some way to vent the air from the opposing side. Usually the gear valve will vent the opposite of your commanded position. The door up would be vented through the button valve or other device you may use.
The Ultra Precision valves are very good and control both gear and door timing. UP3 to keep the doors open when the gear is down. You can find more information about those valves on Dreamworksrc website. I think great Northern models also has them.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 AM
My Feedback: (2)

It very simple.
Run one air system. The gear failsafe will do it job.
Why you need to run two air system. Our Super Hornet set up one air system and it works for 1000 of flights.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:42 AM

I’m using Tam’s failsafe on two Jets. The latest is an F16 (not yours Tam – sorry! but it does have your excellent military cockpit) anyway. I’m using two air reservoirs in parallel to give greater capacity and hence a longer available time, for any given air leak, to open doors first and then deploy the landing gear. Failsafe pressure is also set a little higher than normal.

Eric
Norfolk UK
Old 03-23-2007, 12:20 PM

use a single air system (T your two tanks together) with a two system setup one is rendered useless if the other fails. you can't bring the gear out if the doors are closed and you don't want the doors open if the gear isn't coming out, you're better off joining them or a single large can.

kc
Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM

That's the way to go. Keep it simple. Thanks guys....
Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 PM
My Feedback: (41)

I have the Fail Safe and what a great idea! Nice job Tam.

Question on the retract valve Cermark (Sorry Tam, next time though) provides with the F-16 Turbine. There are 3 nipples on one side and two on the other. I know the side with two that they are capped.
Question: The side with three, which is air in and which is retract and which is extend?
Thanks in advance,
Tom[img][/img]
Old 03-26-2007, 07:48 PM

center is air in, it does NOT have a nipple directly across from it. other 4 are in pairs, they are paired by end, not side.

kc
Old 03-26-2007, 09:14 PM
My Feedback: (31)

I was at Tams shop this weekend when he put one in my jet. This system WORKS. It does not matter whether you have sequenced gear doors, everything works as if the failsafe is not installed, the only difference is that the failsafe plugs in between. When the pressure gets to the preselected point, it drops the gear, in the sequence your jet is already setup for. Nick