Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Re: Can I use R/C car batteries with brushless motors? >

Re: Can I use R/C car batteries with brushless motors?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Re: Can I use R/C car batteries with brushless motors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 06:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can I use R/C car batteries with brushless motors?

Originally posted by ssyed
would it be possible to use a 9.6 volt TYCO rechargable battery with a speed 400 brushless motor because i don't want to spend 300$ on battery and charger and that is only like 20-30$ right? maybe i can use two for enough power or what???
Ssyed,
I do not see any reason why you cannot use them.

Jackjet
Old 08-31-2002, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use R/C car batteries with brushless motors?

You'll find most of the price difference is in the charger, not the batteries.

It is not necessary to get the expensive charger, butyopu have to pay better attention to the battery status durring charging, especially if you use a quick field charger based on a simple timer and resistance element. The more expensive chargers with battery cycling capability can add to battery life. (don't cycle too often... its not needed more than once, such as every 3 months, in a while to verify capacity hasn't deteriorated.)

Its easy to overheat a battery with a fild charger that doesn't auto-detect full charge. I have had a NiCd battery pack explode on a field charger when charged immediately after discharging in an R/C car. (I haven't used a simple timer and resistance charger since.)