Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Wren MW 54 balancing question >

Wren MW 54 balancing question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wren MW 54 balancing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wren MW 54 balancing question

I am thinking about taking the plunge into turbines and the Wren MW54 kit seems to be the most cost effective way to go, plus it seems to have had good reviews on this forum.

My question is; how difficult/easy is it to balance the turbine wheel?, and what special equipment do I need to achieve perfect balance?. This is my only reservation about buying the kit.

I would appreciate any input on this and on the turbine in general.

Thanks

Stuart
Old 04-01-2003, 09:54 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

StuartJJ,
It's not hard to do, it takes a little time and patience. The best way to do it is follow the instructions, balance the rotor, then take a break.......have lunch, whatever, and take a look at it again. It's not that bad. Hey, I'm the guy who cross-threaded a screw on my three year old son's tricycle horn and broke a tap during the subsequent repair the day before I assembled my Wren.........If I can do it, .............well, you get the picture! If you need to, you can send it back to Wren assembled and they will do a DYNAMIC balance............Do a search on RCU for Wren and you will find this topic discussed many times.

Tailwinds,

John
Old 04-01-2003, 09:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you need to balance it is a dremel with a cutting disk on it and 3 hours of unditurbed time. The instructions come with the kit.

jason

P.S
you could try a search on wren as it will pop up loads of peoples comments saying its not dificult to do.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive just finished building mine. The building is fine and good fun. Lots of high quality parts.Like an expensive meccano kit.

The balancing of the turbine was not fun , mainly because i misunderstood the very clear instructions! Doh!

Id recommend speaking to wren in person, im sure someone could email you a copy of the balancing guide to see what youre in for. ( i dont have a scanner or else i would), if wren dont mind. Or speak in detail to someone whos done it on the phone.

I bought the autostart version. I only saved a couple hundred pounds over a pst j600 or simjet 1200, and have had to buy new tools like a dremel, so probably am not much better off, but had a lot of fun building it, have a greater sense of achievement and learnt a lot in the process.

For the record, you balance the turbine yourself, then after youve test run it, at at up to soak speed of 80k rpm to let the bearings run in, you can return it to wren for final balancing on their dynamic balancer to get it perfect for a measly £40.

All the best