Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Any feedback in BVM Smooth Stop II??? >

Any feedback in BVM Smooth Stop II???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Any feedback in BVM Smooth Stop II???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:39 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any feedback in BVM Smooth Stop II???

Ok....let me hear the bad things about this improve (??) system.
The previous one was a....[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
The point is I need a proporcinal brake for a new jet I'm working with....uhm....Any other brand sugestions?
Thanks in advance.
Miguel
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Any feedback in BVM Smooth Stop II???

ORIGINAL: Miguel Santana
Any other brand sugestions?
http://www.up-1.com/upsix.html

I started with Smoothstops, didn't like their flakiness and moved to Jetronics valves, then found the UP-6 and have never looked back.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any feeback in Smooth Stop II???

Hello Miguel

I haven´t got experience with the Smooth Stop II but can recommend the UP6 break valve. This valve works great in my F-16. No air leaks etc. just a great product!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:49 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: Any feeback in Smooth Stop II???

plenty of choices, good luck but my smooth stop II has worked fine.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

For $69, sounds like a steal.

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1478

Here's the up6, also for $69.

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=238

I've used Smooth stop II as well. $99 ouch

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=899

Here's the jettronics for $79.

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1462

I gotta say, I using jetronics now exclusively 'cause they're easy to use and easy to set up. I know some people say that they can waste alot of air, but I've always found them to be adequate for me.

Raf
Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Jet-Tronics have got a new break valve. One advantage of this new product is the efficiency. You can choose a smaller air tank and the valve ist easy to install because you don´t need a servo!

Here you can find some information

www.jet-tronics.de/
Old 04-17-2008, 04:36 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Used the original Smooth Stop back in my DF days. Never had any problems. Been using the Smooth Stop II since it came out (replaced the plungers in my original Smooth Stops.) Even less problems.

What can I say, they work for me.

...jim
Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBrown

Used the original Smooth Stop back in my DF days. Never had any problems. Been using the Smooth Stop II since it came out (replaced the plungers in my original Smooth Stops.) Even less problems.
Ummm ... if you "never had any problems" with the original, how can you possibly have "even less problems" with the new one ?

Clealy the shortcomings with the original were quite real, otherwise there would not have been an improved model.

Gordon

Old 04-17-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine works fine. It's a good product in my opinion.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote is altercarerc, their brake/retract valve combo is 35.00. Can't beat that, two functions in one. Best I have seen to date, works every time and I have never had a problem with it, ever, not even once.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I have several of the original smooth stops, and several of the smooth stop II's never had a problem with either one.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Smooth stop is a very good valve. Very efficient with air useage. I have had 2 ver. 1 and both leaked. If you clean them out, replace orings and oring lube, they are good to go. Geometry of servo to valve is a lil critical and the air in line needs to be "loose" to move around as the valve slides in and out. Smooth stop II with new plunger has addressed the problem of geometry but can rotate around due to the ball link linkage they use now. Still a nice valve and the rotation problem is easily addressed.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Ummm ... if you "never had any problems" with the original, how can you possibly have "even less problems" with the new one ?

Clealy the shortcomings with the original were quite real, otherwise there would not have been an improved model.

Gordon

Or....why he changed to the new plunger?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Miguel Santana

Gordon

Or....why he changed to the new plunger?
I thought about that too, but figured it could be potentially be written off as preventative maintenance.

I do still want to know how he managed it that the number of problems he had was 0 with the old valve and less than zero with the new one. How do you get a negative number of problems ? [)]

Gordon
Old 04-18-2008, 12:17 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Miguel,
It is a simple matter of product improvement.
Many original Smooth Stops are in service and have had no problems at all, but why not make an improvement change?

The new plunger design was incorporated to simply installation and eliminate actuation side loading.

All of the original Smooth Stop brake valves can be updated by replacing the origiinal plunger with the type II plunger.

The BVM Smooth Stop brake valves also function as a parking brake. There is no air pressure loss when the power switch is off, unlike electronic valves. Also, unlike electronic valves, the Smooth Stop is user serviceable. An o-ring replacement kit is available from BVM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:29 PM

BTW, on the topic of service etc ... the guy from Ultra Precision (Phil ?) really takes care of his customers. I had a UP-3 valve that got damaged in a crash, with all of the nipples bent and/or broken. I called U.P. to see if I could buy replacement nipples, and he said "No - you're not buying them - I'll either send you the parts you need free of charge, or you can send the unit back to me and I will repair & service it for you and you pay only for shipping, not for parts or labour".

Hard to beat that kind of customer commitment.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Miguel,
It is a simple matter of product improvement.
Many original Smooth Stops are in service and have had no problems at all, but why not make an improvement change?

The new plunger design was incorporated to simply installation and eliminate actuation side loading.

All of the original Smooth Stop brake valves can be updated by replacing the origiinal plunger with the type II plunger.

The BVM Smooth Stop brake valves also function as a parking brake. There is no air pressure loss when the power switch is off, unlike electronic valves. Also, unlike electronic valves, the Smooth Stop is user serviceable. An o-ring replacement kit is available from BVM.

Don't you wish all Reps were like this on the internet........?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM

Harley's the greatest, no question. I wish there was a pop up everytime he posted, very informative guy. A true know it all, that is willing to help even the little guys. Can't say enough good things, and you are right, if all reps were like him, the manufacturers would probably sell more models.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:33 PM
My Feedback: (47)

Interesting comments about the problems with the SmoothStop - I have used 8 or 9 and every one has been great. I set my linkages and airlines up per BVM instructions and have never had a leak. I do maintain mine once a season (pull plunger, change O ring, lube and re-assemble).

I just used the last one of a batch of three I bought at a big discount from an unhappy user and they have worked fine as well.

The parking brake "feature" of the mechanical valves (UP acts the same) is very nice, especially when working with the model on a short table.

Barry
Old 04-18-2008, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: dbarrym
I just used the last one of a batch of three I bought at a big discount from an unhappy user and they have worked fine as well.

LOL !

Not sure, but that unhappy user may just happen to have one or two more somewhere in the loft, in an untouched BVM T33 kit and a Bobcat XL kit. If they work as well as you say though, the price may just have to go up for the next batch ! [)]

Gordon
Old 04-18-2008, 05:13 PM

The altercare one has parking brake feature as well, very nice indeed! At half the price of the others out there, and even less considering it operates retracts as well!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:42 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I do still want to know how he managed it that the number of problems he had was 0 with the old valve and less than zero with the new one. How do you get a negative number of problems ? [)]

Gordon
Just a bit of humour. Bottom line, I've had no problems with either version. Changed to version II due to easier set up and less maintenance.

Regards,
...jim
Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 PM

Hey,

I've never really had much use for proportional systems, to be honest. I use the little on/off valve that we ship with our gear sets and then put a Robart restrictor in the line. Grease up the brakes and they come on gradually enough that I've never missed the proportionality feature. Can't beat the price, either!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I have 3 of the first version smooth stops with no issues. I keep them clean, greased and set the linkage up per the instructions.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:23 AM
My Feedback: (47)

ORIGINAL: dbarrym

LOL !

Not sure, but that unhappy user may just happen to have one or two more somewhere in the loft, in an untouched BVM T33 kit and a Bobcat XL kit. If they work as well as you say though, the price may just have to go up for the next batch ! [)]

Gordon
Didn't want to name names

Gordo, call me when you decide to dump 'em. Might even take the T-33!

cheers -

Barry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.