Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Does the brake/retract valve from Altecare use one or two air tanks? >

Does the brake/retract valve from Altecare use one or two air tanks?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Does the brake/retract valve from Altecare use one or two air tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the brake/retract valve from Altecare use one or two air tanks?

http://www.altecare.com/retairsysaccess.htm
Or since its one valve does it use one air tank? I like to have two air tanks. And NOT share the retract/brake air tank
Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Does the brake/retract valve from Altecare use one or two air tanks?

It looks like you could have as many airtanks as you want. You could plumb them in parallel and just get more carrying capacity.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 PM
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Does the brake/retract valve from Altecare use one or two air tanks?

ORIGINAL: ianober

It looks like you could have as many airtanks as you want. You could plumb them in parallel and just get more carrying capacity.
[sm=confused.gif] ditto...doesn't matter if you use 1 or 100 tanks, just plumb them in parallel...each tank will be at the same pressure. More capacity = longer period of use before the pressure drops to the point where the pnuematics won't work (or get sluggish).

Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using this setup with one tank for more than two years, no issues at all, I do have the tams unit hooked up to them.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 PM

Thanks...
Old 09-04-2008, 11:03 PM
My Feedback: (4)

With this type of valve, one air leak will disable both the landing gear and the brakes.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Harley is right, yet in the case of a leak, retracts would not go down after they have been raised, therefore not having brakes is irrelevant, I have used mine for about 5 months on a C-ARF Flash, no leaks at all, actually, this is one of the best systems I've had in terms of having no leaks, I have NONE since day one, I have kept air pressure for a whole week, haven't tried it longer since I fly every weekend. What I do though is that I do not use the brake output for braking, what I do is I use an electronic valve feeding off the brake output, retracts going down would do full throw on the valve servo opening the brake output, braking would actually be done by the electronic proportional valve, while retracts are up, there is no air in the brake system, thus no accidental loss of air due to a partially open brake valve, plus I still only use one air tank...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 AM
My Feedback: (34)

The idea for this valve is to save an extra brake valve and an extra tank.
If you do your installation correctly, they will not leak and you will have a long and reliable life out of them.
I have been using them on all my air systems (jets or otherwise) for over 4 years now.

The system stays pressurized for a long time.

ORIGINAL: NightFlyer1
http://www.altecare.com/retairsysaccess.htm
Or since its one valve does it use one air tank? I like to have two air tanks. And NOT share the retract/brake air tank
Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 AM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, I have had no failures or leaks on this valve either. It is bulletproof on the 4 or 5 I have installed and used. Coupled with the Tam's unit, is a great deal. Plus, it's only $35.00! Or at least that what I paid for them.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine has worked well on my Flash. The only downside is that it's not proportional, but a little lube takes care of that.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:21 PM

How are you guys mixing this for function? I have a Futaba 9c I take it I would make the gear switch the master? Since I only want the brakes to work when the gear is down..
Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 07:30 PM
My Feedback: (69)

How are you guys mixing this for function? I have a Futaba 9c I take it I would make the gear switch the master? Since I only want the brakes to work when the gear is down..
Thanks
Mix retract into retract. Pick a toggle or level. I prefer a toggle switch.

Dave
Old 09-14-2008, 06:06 PM
My Feedback: (39)

Hi,

Got my new valve and finished farting around with my radio to get it to work.....

Heres how i set mine up on 10C 2.4.

1. Valve on ch5. set the end points so flipping your retract switch properly moves valve enough to get up and down retracts.
2. OFFSET PMIX for channel 5 to allow extension of servo to activate brake. Activate the offset mix with a logic switch that only activates with gear down and with what ever switch your using for the brakes.

LSW1
SW : H (my brake switch)
Posi: down
mode: x/and (required both gear down and brake switch flipped to activate brakes)
SW: G (my retract switch)
posi: up (retracts in down position to allow use of brakes. cant activate brake with gear up)

Pmix
Rate: -25%
Master: OFST
Slave: CH5
Link: off
SW: LS1 (sets logic switch as brake on and off switch)
Posi: norm

End Point:
CH5: 50%, 50% (depends on your servos and setup)
Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 PM

Hopefully I can set it up so that when my gear is down the brakes are on and when my gear is up the brakes are off. I use channel 5 for my gear. They are on a switch. And then for my brakes, they are on a slider. I don't want to have to flip my gear switch THEN flip another switch to activate my brakes. We'll see how it goes.....
What I meant was, gear down, brakes active!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 PM
My Feedback: (69)

Hopefully I can set it up so that when my gear is down the brakes are on and when my gear is up the brakes are off. I use channel 5 for my gear. They are on a switch. And then for my brakes, they are on a slider. I don't want to have to flip my gear switch THEN flip another switch to activate my brakes. We'll see how it goes.....
Gear down, brakes on? How ya gonna taxi? Maybe "gear down, mix on"?

Dave
Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 PM
My Feedback: (39)

brake is not propotional so using a slider is more effort than switch, but its up to you.