Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 How do you empty your o/b Fuel tanks >

How do you empty your o/b Fuel tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How do you empty your o/b Fuel tanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:56 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How do you empty your o/b Fuel tanks

Hello guys,

In my installations, i always use BVM UAT connected to 1 or multiple tanks depending on jet needs. The problem i am having is that i am not finding a nice easy way to empty tanks at the end of flying day. Therefore i leave fuel inside tanks and close the overflow, but due difference in altitude between my house and flying field (4000 ft. difference in altitude) i am having fuel spills in my car and it is becoming messy.
Therefore thanks advising:
a) if ok to leave fuel in tanks (not only in UAT)
b) what would be a nice way to draw back fuel, bearing in mind that BVM UAT is in upright position.

Thanks. Regards.
Dany
Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 231 Likes on 120 Posts
Default RE: How do you empty your o/b Fuel tanks

how bout just attaching a start tank to your overflow vent, so it allows fuel to vent into the start tank during transport?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 AM

That's exactly what i do but still have some spilling and fumes evaporating from overflow tank....

Thanks. Regards.
Dany
Old 11-18-2008, 07:42 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't quite understand why you can't draw the fuel out the fill line on the BVM UAT. I do that with all my jets and it works fine. It pulls all of the fuel out of the tanks and pretty much stops on its own when the UAT is the only thing with fuel in it.

Bob
Old 11-18-2008, 07:48 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dany: I just don't get it. As the other guys, I fill and empty through the same tube., and stop it when
I see the main tank lines bubbling. The UAT will stay filled. Put a plug in the overflow line. As simple as that.

Hector
Old 11-18-2008, 07:49 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same with me. I just use the same line I fill with. I normally leave a little in the main tanks though but the only way that fuel could get out of the vent is if the model turned upside down which means the car would have to as well and at that point I'd have bigger problems..........
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

I don't quite understand why you can't draw the fuel out the fill line on the BVM UAT. I do that with all my jets and it works fine. It pulls all of the fuel out of the tanks and pretty much stops on its own when the UAT is the only thing with fuel in it.

Bob
What bob said.
If you can not pump the fuel out the fill line then your turbine will not either, and you will be ending up with air in your UAT often.
Maybe you just need a better clunk setup in the main tank(s).
Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 AM

Thanks guys....
Believe it or not as simple as it may sound, i've never thought of this

Regards.
Dany
Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dany, as well the rest of fellows I always empty my tanks from the UAT fill line. Plugged the vent tubes only for transport. As soon I let my plane sits on the stand at home, I remove the plugs until next flying day. Remember there is always vapors and fumes inside the tanks so is a good habbit for me to unplug the vents when storing my plane. Had a friend that almost broke a tank for not removing the vent plugs for long time. BTW it was a BVM kevlar Bobcat tank.

Alex
Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Believe it or not as simple as it may sound, i've never thought of this
Dany, don't worry, you're not alone [] I had the same concern with my first Baby Boomerang Jet, I thought that I only would get the first few drops of fuel out of the UAT, and then there would be air coming only, but not so, it actually works.
Actually the first few times I needed to empty the main tank, I would "plug in" to the fuel line coming from the main tank to the UAT as I thought I could not get the fuel "backwards" out from the UAT
Old 11-19-2008, 12:54 PM

Guys,

thank you all for taking time to reply on this thread. I believe this is a problem i should not be worrying about anymore!!!

Regards.
Dany