Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Air tanks, Fuel tank fastners... >

Air tanks, Fuel tank fastners...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Air tanks, Fuel tank fastners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air tanks, Fuel tank fastners...

Just curious as to what most do to secure these items. The books says to use Silicon but Im not liking that very much.

I was thinking glue some plywood and velcrow strap them. Maybe even a little spray foam.

Thanks, Peter
Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Air tanks, Fuel tank fastners...

Peter depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you require the tanks removable then this works where you have formers supporting the tank area...... an aluminium tube is aeropxied to the tank top and bottom, and then two cf rods as slid through the tubes into the formers 'suspending' the tank. Another method is to glue some ply tabs to the tank (reinforce with some glass cloth) and then these tabs locate onto a fixing where a couple of servo screws or bolt into blind nut would secure.

marc.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34629.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1074957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81141.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1074958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37716.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1074959  
Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 AM

Hi Peter,

I use self adhesive Velcro (heavy duty) to retain the air tank and silicone sealant to retain the main fuel tank and either self adhesive Velcro or a Velcro strap to hold the UAT. No problems so far

Roger
Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 AM
My Feedback: (12)

I still stick to small amounts of the old standby silcone stuff to be on the lazy side.
My preferred is EF6000 from arts and craft stores like Michaels and AC Moore..both which usually have a convienent 40-50% off coupon in the paper every Sunday. I just got some the other day from Michaels and it was $2.01 with a coupon. It is the same as the product known as PFM. Similar to Goop.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:22 PM

Ok thanks,

The CF tubes look cool but I think I like the ease of the wood and velcro, Ill look into that EF6000. Thanks again!!

Peter
Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM
My Feedback: (24)

When possible, I make a cradle out of lite-ply and mount it (permanently with AeroPoxy) to the fiberglass fuse and use elastics to hold the item in the cradle. Sometimes I incorporate the hook/bends (that the elastics grap) into the shape of the cradle .... sometimes I use small cup hooks attached to the cradle. Bob
Old 11-25-2008, 04:26 AM
My Feedback: (33)

Ease of removal is the idea. The heavy duty commercial Velcro, sticky back, is the best. Add a bit of thick ca and you can't get it off with dynamite! Use horizontal and vertical strap with the opposing tab, pull tight, and there you are! The stuff is good for securing lines and other goodies to get them out of the way. I have recievers, match boxes, batteries, air and fuel lines, all with Velcro. Makes for easy take out.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:07 AM

As teebox said you must use some cyano in addition to the velcro pad glue, clean the fuselage with acetone or something similar and give it a scuff, everything should then stay put.