Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Turbine Powered Avro Arrow? >

Turbine Powered Avro Arrow?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Powered Avro Arrow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:16 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbine Powered Avro Arrow?

Hello Jet Jocks,

There have been a lot of neat planes built over the years. And, there are great kits out there. But, being a Canuck, three jets have always been of interest to me. The CT-114 Tudor, which is now kitted and looks great. A CF-100 Canuck, which is a difficult twin to build and fly. And the greatest of them all, the CF-105 Arrow.

Other than the attempts by Doug Hyslip in Calgary, (And he won't sell fuses or plans) has anyone tried to model a turbine powered version of this plane ( The Flybhr and Bob Parkinsons ducted fans were not very well done for my liking)? I'd really like to build a modest size one for a WREN 54 engine. I am not a very good designer/scratch builder. Over the last 25 years, I have built lots of kites etc. But, never became a designer.

Is there any interest out there?

DW_Crash
Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Powered Avro Arrow?

ORIGINAL: dw_crash

I'd really like to build a modest size one for a WREN 54 engine.

DW_Crash
Oh come on....In for a penny, in for a pound. "If it don't have a P-200 in it, it's Sportsman Class". Go for larger....It's not like you have a short building season up there in the Great White North. Put a big block in it!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Jim
Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Jim,

Yep, your right. We do have a long building season. But, I have to be practical. I have 5 14 lb class engines. I don't really need a sixth. Although, two are slated for a ME-262.....

I found from the F-18, your old one, that there is a size that is fun yet easy to move, handle and store. A 10 ft long by 6 ft wingspan monster just wouldn't be practical for me. That is why the smaller size. A wee bit bigger than the Hornet.

Check out KMP. They have new EDF Avro Arrow. Mine's on order.

Dave
Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave,

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was just "pulling your chain" anyway. I do enjoy the ease of storage/movement of the smaller planes especially since I got rid of my SUV when the gas prices started soaring. A 6-1/2 foot long plane is about the comfortable max that my car can handle and they'd better have removable fins. I once fit 2-1/2 Comp ARF Eurosports in it, but the canards were off and I couldn't see the right side window/mirror. Had to make left turns only on the way home.

Still, you have 5 engines in the 14 lb thrust range??? You might want to diversify a bit ....I've a RAM750 (19 lbs - Tam F-16), a P-120 (28 lbs for Gripen blow), and will put a P-60 (14 lbs) in my FB baby F-5. All three planes are about the same length (just a bit bigger than the ol' F-18).

Try to stay warm. It was nasty down here last weekend but fortunately we were able to warm our hands on turbine idle exhaust. Those "Glow Fuel Boyz" can't do that!!!!!

Regards,

Jim
Old 12-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dw_crash

Hello Jet Jocks,

There have been a lot of neat planes built over the years. And, there are great kits out there. But, being a Canuck, three jets have always been of interest to me. The CT-114 Tudor, which is now kitted and looks great. A CF-100 Canuck, which is a difficult twin to build and fly. And the greatest of them all, the CF-105 Arrow.

Other than the attempts by Doug Hyslip in Calgary, (And he won't sell fuses or plans) has anyone tried to model a turbine powered version of this plane ( The Flybhr and Bob Parkinsons ducted fans were not very well done for my liking)? I'd really like to build a modest size one for a WREN 54 engine. I am not a very good designer/scratch builder. Over the last 25 years, I have built lots of kites etc. But, never became a designer.

Is there any interest out there?

DW_Crash
These are the moulds for a giant Avro Arrow for turbine.
The fuselage will be about 12 feet long x 14" wide.
Span is about 6 feet.

The first part made turned out rediculously low at only 3 pounds, vacuum bagged. For something this size it's just way too flimsy. The next part should be about 5 pounds, , , , better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76493.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1094907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57470.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1094908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32930.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1094909  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These moulds will be for sale if anyone wants them.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:45 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike

Nice work on those moulds, I am sure there would be much interest in Europe if a little further on in development you published on the progress within Jet Power. Rather like Dave I also believe a scale model of the CF-105 for a MW44 or MW54 would sell in the hundreds and hundreds, petty there wasn't an existing one as China would have several copy versions available in weeks.
For background one of the main reasons (apart from family) I first flew from the UK was to visit the two local Toronto museums for both the two Lancs and the mainly jet wise for background on the Arrow. So I've got the tea shirt but will have wait for some people like Ron Sweeny design or Jim Fox manufacture a kit.

Paul