Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 How fast can non-turbine jet can goes >

How fast can non-turbine jet can goes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How fast can non-turbine jet can goes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How fast can non-turbine jet can goes

Sweet! Now there are two jets out there that can tear it up with the turbine toys. Looking forward to Ohio.

Russ
Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi Russ at MS Afterburner this past weekend I had no trouble flying with the turbine boys with my new Electra powered with the 5212 EVF. I made 13 flights over the three days on one set of the new TP 40C packs! The reason you can leave the throttle wide open on the Spark is the because you are drawing less than 110 amps. If I was to dial back the power on the EVF so as not to exceed 110 amps continuous I could keep the go stick buried too.

The Electra is so clean there is no reason to fly it wide open and NO I do not fly it like a glider either. The limiting factor is the the Castle 110 ESC.
Once Castle produces an HV controller that can handle more current the true power of the EVF can be unleashed.

FWIW at the 2008 SEFF demos Chris True flew his 5012 EVF powered Electra wide open for three minutes.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:42 PM
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini
The limiting factor is the the Castle 110 ESC.
Once Castle produces an HV controller that can handle more current the true power of the EVF can be unleashed.
Bob,

I'll be using the Schulze 40.160 controller with the EVF 5212 and the new 40C TP batteries in my Fury when it's finished. We may have to start a new thread titled How Fast can Scale Jet Go With the Throttle Hammered for Several Minutes.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Bob,

Great...now you get my point. If you dial it down to 110 amps, what speed could the Electra produce? Would it hang with the Spark or the turbine toys at that point? I know, we can't wait for the new ESC also. We don't even need the 40C cells yet, we are still using 25 and 30C packs. Thanks for the info.

Russ
Old 05-07-2009, 01:54 PM

Deleted, double post.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:02 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

Not a problem Russ.
The beauty of the 40C cells is not only do they produce more power they run so cool that they will have much better life and they can be recharged almost immediately after a flight.

I have been flying E power since 1998 and started flying high power electrics in 1999, http://liaison.ms.u-tokyo.ac.jp/agus.../r-agusta.html
there has always been a limiting factor always will be in our quest for more power. Presently it is the Castle ESC that is available domestically. As stated above the use of the Schulze ESC would eliminate this issue but they are very expensive ($800) and not a viable option for the domestic market.

I'm having a great time flying my Electra! E-Jets is going to be a blast in September.

ps the brushless power system that I used in the Agusta cost $700.00 in 1999! We only 2400 maH Nicads so flight were pretty short!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:08 PM

It sure will. I have been having a blast with Tam flying all his jets. I just hope we get the same weather as last year.

See you there,

Russ
Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron,

That's not an entirely accurate statement. Last year at E-Jets my Starfire hit the mid 180's straight and level on the first pass of the trim flight and it had an Aeronaut TF4000 120mm fan. It cost about $1500 (kit, fan, motor, controller, and retracts). It was faster than Tam's Spark which was radared at 170 straight and level and 190 out of a dive (witnessed by Kevin and myself as we were standing next to the guy with the radar gun). The Starfire was also faster than all of the Electras including the ones with the TJ100. It'll be at E-Jets again this year and it will have special tail art on it just to show my "fondness" of Tam. With the new TP batteries Tam is using he is getting more speed from the Spark than last year, but the Starfire will also being using the new TP batteries.

Hide Signatures

Kirk... I was thinking in the ARF's sport jets.. but you are right the Starfire is another great option if you want to save a few bucks and build a kit.
I've never been a big fan of the Starfire.. yours looked good

The best looking one I've seen is Tams with the new intakes him and barry made. It looks really nice. The new intakes just make it.
I'm sure it could run all day with the big boys too. Here's a link : http://www.tamjets.com/starfire.php

I'd really like to try a TF 4000 but my problem with it is the lack of 8mm rotors in the U.S.
If you need a replacment you could really get hosed waiting. I also don't like having to assemble it. If a glue joint lets loose you'll have a mess when the rotor take out the ducting.
Kirk I don't know if you read my update on my Tam Jets A-4.. but my DS-94 with the 1521 1.5y is now putting out a 4700 watt brust with a steady 4400 watts at 100 amps
with the new Thunder Power 30c cells. I'm so impressed with these new cells.... I had to buy a set of 11s for my spark ... I havn't run them up to see what my stu max will put out with them
but I'm sure it will be very impressive. I can't wait to fly both of these planes on the new cells!!

Schubeler makes such a high quality product I'm having a hard time not useing his fans.
The DS-94 come assembled and you can do like my and get it plug and play from Tam... when you add up all the parts you pay Tam like $50 to wire it up, cut out the tail cone, assemble it with a heat sink, test run it...
pretty good deal in my book.

Some really great stuff out there! EDF just keep getting better and better.. I love it

Ron
Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 PM
My Feedback: (80)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

It will be different this year, that for sure.

Poor english as well... Tam was born and raised in Vietnam. What is your excuse? Don't throw stones Mr. Glass House.[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15707.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1194079  
Old 05-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Well personaly never tried to run at one set throttle position for more than thirty seconds just because of my flight routine. I can tell you I use a throttle to throttle mix just for the simple fact I dont need the extra power from running 100 percent I have it there but I just dont need it for what i am doing. I am very happy with what I am getting out of my set up.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

It will be different this year, that for sure.

Poor english as well... Tam was born and raised in Vietnam. What is your excuse? Don't throw stones Mr. Glass House.[X(]

Well said,
I can't wait to see your Yellow EDF F-18 break 200mph [:-]

Gene
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: rcjet lynch

Well personaly never tried to run at one set throttle position for more than thirty seconds just because of my flight routine. I can tell you I use a throttle to throttle mix just for the simple fact I dont need the extra power from running 100 percent I have it there but I just dont need it for what i am doing. I am very happy with what I am getting out of my set up.
Rob,

I love the video...Great flying! I like the low slow rolls! I just got back from more stick time at the field. I just flew the Electra tonight on 10S and it scooted around awesome only at 3.3kw. I flew over 5 minutes and it only used 4000 mah. That Electra is a great airframe, I hope Tam doesn't sell it.

Russ
Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 AM

Double post
Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Reverend Russ

Sure your Starfire may have been fast on it's one or two flights at Ohio last year but it shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread anyway! This thread is about Electric Jets that can fly with the Turbine jets, NOT flown as a glider half the flight. Wide open for ten seconds and then flown as a glider for 30 seconds doesn't count.
140 at half throttle. [link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Starfire-3rd-Flight-wmv]Nice glider.[/link] And no BVM equipment in it.

Oh yeah, my flights were made on Sunday after the awards dinner, therefore my Starfire wasn't considered for the award.. It will be different this year, that for sure.
I will ask the question one more time...can it fly with a sustained 175+mph for a minute or two? Yes or No

Russ
Yes. The Aeronaut TF4000 fan with the Neu 1527 1.5Y motor can run at full throttle until the batteries are drained. The amp draw is 112 amps, the same amp range as the TJ100. The motor temp during the full throttle runs only gets to 90 degrees and doesn't need a heat sink because the TF4000 is turning at a lower rpm than the TJ100 and isn't working the motor as hard. The TF4000 fan/motor combo can handle a lot more than what it is currently doing. On top of all of that, it is several ounces lighter than the TJ100 with a 1518 motor.
90 degrees? More like 190 degrees. You better check your temp guage. There is no way over 4kw and 112 amps without heat sink could even be below 160 degrees. Amp and Watt determine heat not RPM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 AM
My Feedback: (2)

The best looking one I've seen is Tams with the new intakes him and barry made. It looks really nice. The new intakes just make it.
I'm sure it could run all day with the big boys too. Here's a link : http://www.tamjets.com/starfire.php

Thanks Ron,
That is good kit to built if you had the time.
Let watch the video again on 10s 3.3kw.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/StarF...s-4450mAh-3-3k

Here is the Electra on 10s 3.3kw.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Elect...TJ100-on-10S-3

Mig-15 weight 21 lbs
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Mig-1...J100-video-wmv

Only Bandit ARF's fly with TJ100.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Bandit-EDF-TJ100-12s-wmv

Tamjets 1:8 Scale F-16
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Tamje...Razor-Back-vid
Old 05-08-2009, 02:26 AM

ORIGINAL: rcjet lynch

Rob,

I love the video...Great flying! I like the low slow rolls! I just got back from more stick time at the field. I just flew the Electra tonight on 10S and it scooted around awesome only at 3.3kw. I flew over 5 minutes and it only used 4000 mah. That Electra is a great airframe, I hope Tam doesn't sell it.

Russ

Only reason I go to sell my Electra is getting new BV F-86.
Just imagine use my new light weight 6s system in the new BVM F-86.
I miss my Red Bull one.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/F-86-...flight-video-w

Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron101
I'd really like to try a TF 4000 but my problem with it is the lack of 8mm rotors in the U.S.
If you need a replacment you could really get hosed waiting. I also don't like having to assemble it. If a glue joint lets loose you'll have a mess when the rotor take out the ducting.
Kirk I don't know if you read my update on my Tam Jets A-4.. but my DS-94 with the 1521 1.5y is now putting out a 4700 watt brust with a steady 4400 watts at 100 amps
with the new Thunder Power 30c cells. I'm so impressed with these new cells.... I had to buy a set of 11s for my spark ... I havn't run them up to see what my stu max will put out with them
but I'm sure it will be very impressive. I can't wait to fly both of these planes on the new cells!!
Ron,

Production has finally caught up with the demand for the TF4000 and the fans and parts are readily available at [link=http://www.icare-rc.com/]http://www.icare-rc.com/[/link] If you use hysol to glue the stator in place you would never have to worry about a glue joint coming loose. If hysol weren't up to the task, none of us would use it to glue our jets together.

Good news on the new batteries. What are you seeing, about 700 to 1000 watt increase in power? Can't wait to see what that bump up in power will do for the Starfire.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM

90 degrees? More like 190 degrees. You better check your temp guage. There is no way over 4kw and 112 amps without heat sink could even be below 160 degrees. Amp and Watt determine heat not RPM.
Believe what you like. I know the efficiency of the TF4000/1527 system very well and you have no experience with it. See you in Ohio for some hammer down flying.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Ron,

Production has finally caught up with the demand for the TF4000 and the fans and parts are readily available at http://www.icare-rc.com/ If you use hysol to glue the stator in place you would never have to worry about a glue joint coming loose. If hysol weren't up to the task, none of us would use it to glue our jets together.

Good news on the new batteries. What are you seeing, about 700 to 1000 watt increase in power? Can't wait to see what that bump up in power will do for the Starfire. "

I'll say it again I'm not a shill for anybody ... I pay for everything I own.
And the new Thunder Power battieres are just insane ... I'm getting a 1000 watt more burst (10sec) and a steady 700 watt increase... I can't even imagine the 40c packs.
I will have to be careful with the flight time sucking up the extra amps.. but it should be worth it
I'm sure your right about the TF 4000 if it's glued up well ... it just makes me a bit nervous... I also don't like the lack of a tail cone
What do you do to mount your ESC kirk?

"Only reason I go to sell my Electra is getting new BV F-86.
Just imagine use my new light weight 6s system in the new BVM F-86.
I miss my Red Bull one. "

Tam to date the best flight I've ever seen on a EDF jet was that flight that Russ did out at Oakdale with the Redbull F-86... That was just an awsome looking plane.
I forget just how impressed I was with your fan and that plane. I was also suprised at how much quiter your fan was in person. For some reason video cameras make it sound much louder than it is in person.
The mic must really pick up the high ptich sound and loose some of the air being sucked threw the ducting sound.
But hats off to Russ for that great flight.. it's ingrained in my memory It was just SOOO HOT that day... 110 !!
I remember my friend Ken that has been flying turbines for years being really impressed with that plane and said he would fly that plane anyday.. and that the preformane made you forget it was an EDF

Ron
Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, non turbine jet can goes fast. How were able you to make goes so fast?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

He stuffs grass into the tailpipe just before takeoff Andy
Nothin like a scale jet sittin' in thick grass to really enhance that scale effect.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

He stuffs grass into the tailpipe just before takeoff Andy
Nothin like a scale jet sittin' in thick grass to really enhance that scale effect.
Grass makes the world go round. Thanks for reminding me. Come to Arkansas sometime and discover the Natural State.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Kept the plane light and with right combo power package.
Look my Electra. Even with 10s 3.3kw it still performance very good.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:25 AM

Believe what you like. I know the efficiency of the TF4000/1527 system very well and you have no experience with it. See you in Ohio for some hammer down flying.

So do you.
Ohio E-Jets last year you didn't have a single flight. You so afraid to fly your StarFire and ask Terry maiden flight for you remember.
I'm bringing a keyboard to Ohio Jets and boxing ring match just for you.
You can sit there and challenge everyone for a fight. If anyone there interested.
Most of them too busy flying.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tamjets

So do you.
Ohio E-Jets last year you didn't have a single flight. You so afraid to fly your StarFire and ask Terry maiden flight for you remember.
I'm bringing a keyboard to Ohio Jets and boxing ring match just for you.
You can sit there and challenge everyone for a fight. If anyone there interested.
Most of them too busy flying.

Tam,
Now that is funny, K Sonn, I think Tam is calling you out, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.