Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 How fast can non-turbine jet can goes >

How fast can non-turbine jet can goes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How fast can non-turbine jet can goes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How fast can non-turbine jet can goes

Hey guys,
Here is the fast one on video. Many of you had witness the CARF'S Spark I was flying at Ca-Jets.
This is only few non-turbine jets can kept up with turbine aircraft.
Problem with electric going fast use a lot amps and over heat motor. But not this one with TJ100 power plant.
Here is 4 minutes video showing how far electric are coming along.
The flat level speed pass was doing 189mph. Diving speed easy hit way over AMA legal speed limit. Wait a minute. This an EDF.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Spark...on-12s-5000mAh
Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How fast can none turbine jet can goes

DAMN, that thing was movin' will have to get one pretty soon, but all this rain is keeping my turbine flying going strong this year.

Kevin
Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That thing really hauls the mail Tam.
Nice flying Russ.
Paul
Old 05-03-2009, 11:02 PM

Here is another video done by Jon Barnes over this weeken San Jose Electric Fun Fly-in.
It rain and the event was cancel. But still fun with bunch of guys staying for some flying.
Thanks to Jon and Terry put ltime to capture the video and it was fun watching it.

http://vimeo.com/4455926

Click the bottom of the page to download full version in HD.
You might had to sign up to download.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:29 PM

I know! The power of these electrics is amazing.

Here's another cool electric jet video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g20kvxJ79Es

The power of that jet in the vertical is amazing, and the cost isn't bad either.

One of these is definitely in my future! Nice, clean, easy, no support equipment....I'm looking forward to it.

Chad
Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 AM

I know. Electric power is amazing.
If you refer the price of running the Electra is not bad. I had to disagree. I own one myself.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 AM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tam,
How much is a Spark ready to fly with your setup batteries and all?
Scott
Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 AM

Scott,
You be suprice how inexpensive it is for the high performance and quality products you getting.
Kit, gear, complete fan, servos and lipos you can get it under $3400.
That is with new 30c Thunder Power 11s set up.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tam,
She is fast, great job. Joe C!!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: f16jc

Tam,
She is fast, great job. Joe C!!
Joe,
Thanks....
Old 05-04-2009, 12:46 PM
My Feedback: (15)

I've been considering electric something for a while, but the cost has always turned me off. Seemed like you would need thousands of dollars in batteries to fly more than once.
It looks like your getting 4-5 minutes flights. How long to recharge? How many sets of batteries do you take to the field?
Price seems reasonable for the spark.
Scott
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
My Feedback: (4)

There have been many developements in the electric jet arena lately.
See www.bvmjets.com

On the front page, click on "More C's-More Speed" for the story about BV's demo camo Electra, that went 235 MPH. On the same flight, it had already attained mid 220's.

This is a early kit built Electra....a standard production airframe, with "off the shelf" 40C batteries and EVF unit.

These speeds were documented by the Eagle Tree telemetry system.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

See www.bvmjets.com

On the front page, click on "More C's-More Speed" for the story about BV's demo camo Electra, that went 235 MPH. On the same flight, it had already attained mid 220's.

This is a early kit built Electra....a standard production airframe, with "off the shelf" 40C batteries and EVF unit.

Video...where's the video? By the way can you leave the throttle buried for 2 or 3 minutes on that set up, or do you need to do 10-15 second bursts and then cool down?

I have put hundreds of flights on the spark/TJ100 and it doesn't matter how long I keep the throttle on...it's idiot proof I tell you and trying to keep my eyes on it takes all my attention. The last thing I need to be worried about is "Do I need to back off the throttle?"
The spark sure is a kick in the pants!

Russ
Old 05-04-2009, 02:17 PM

See www.bvmjets.com

Harley,
I'm curious about the speed was claim with 40c cell. Someday I'll get to see it myself.
All the Electras I had see flying by BVM reps in California Jets not even close to reach 180 mph level pass. Maybe all this Electra I see still on 30C.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:17 PM
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: How fast can non-turbine jet can goes

HOLY BALLZ Tam! That is insane man!!! Looks like you guys figured out the right combo of airframe/fan/motor!! WOW[X(]
Old 05-04-2009, 02:42 PM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tam,
How many battery packs and how long to charge them?
Scott
Old 05-04-2009, 03:05 PM

Tam,
Unless you have the ability to clock them (electronically by radar gun, or by telemetry), you are just using the old non-calibrated MA-1, Mod 0 eyeball method.
Don't forget, that when a radar gun is not directly in front of or behind the object being mesasured, the "Cosine Effect" will cause an error, showing a speed slower than the real speed.
An off angle of 25º will show an error of about 10% lower than the actual speed.
Most r5adar guns are accurate to +or- 1MPH.

The 30C Electras have been measured at over 200 MPH.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:35 PM

Tam,
Unless you have the ability to clock them (electronically by radar gun, or by telemetry), you are just using the old non-calibrated MA-1, Mod 0 eyeball method.
Don't forget, that when a radar gun is not directly in front of or behind the object being mesasured, the "Cosine Effect" will cause an error, showing a speed slower than the real speed.
An off angle of 25º will show an error of about 10% lower than the actual speed.
Most r5adar guns are accurate to +or- 1MPH.

The 30C Electras have been measured at over 200 MPH.

Harley,
Distance travel by second is another source to do speed run. Sound also another source.
All you had to do is had the camera set far back. Fly flat level speed for 2 second before the camera and 2 second after the pass the camera.
It not that hard Harley.
Telemetry is not that accurate recording.
It can show the speed during the dive.
Unless you had the GPS and speed sensor are recording accurate.
You can download and see the graphic display speed and altitude over many second frame.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:38 PM
My Feedback: (32)

The flat level speed pass was doing 189mph.
By the way can you leave the throttle buried for 2 or 3 minutes on that set up
A few observations from the above statements and watching the videos:
1. The Spark did not make any flat and level speed passes in the videos. They all started from a dive.
2. The Spark did not make any 2 to 3 minute "throttle buried" flights in the videos.
3. Rob Lynch's flight routine with the Electra last in the 6 minute range. The video of Rob's flight had parts edited out because the camera lost track of the plane. (This information is on RCGroups).
4. Rob makes his speed pass at the end of his flight routine when the power from the batteries are at there lowest. Here's a short clip: [link=http://www.flylowandfast.com/Files/Video/Misc/Speed%20Run%20(HD%20720_L).wmv]Rob Lynch End of Flight[/link]
Old 05-04-2009, 04:09 PM

Tam,
Are you doubting the speed reading from the telelmtry system?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Did I say I held the throttle wide open on the video? No...I fly the spark all the time and can leave as much power on as long as I want. My question was if the Electra/BV fan has a burst throttle setting for high speed passes and needs to let off to save equipment. Again, can it be left full throttle for half the flight or not?

A lot of people are concerned with having to manage power for the sake of the motor and ESC. With the price of all the parts to make these jets go like they do, who wants to be worried about frying an ESC or other electrical part and then have to dead-stick their jet?

Ask Doug about throttle position. He left it burried the whole flight down at California Jets last month! Turbine guys love the spark because you can fly it just like a turbine.

Russ

Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
My Feedback: (80)

All I have to say is that I flew Tam's entire fleet at Speedworld and CA Jets 2009. The Spark was OFF THE HOOK!!! I was passing up turbine powered jets with ease (Non "Big Block" birds of course). The cool thing about it was that I did not have to pull back the pepper stick at any time. At CA Jets I more than once heard the pilot standing next to me say, "What the hell is that?" I replied, "The electric hair dryer that is passing your ***** up".

I'm not an electric jet owner but if I was I would be installing Tam's setup in whatever I decided to purchase. I have seen other EDF setups with good performance but not awesome troublefree performance of Tam's unit.

2 cents.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:52 PM

Tam,
Are you doubting the speed reading from the telelmtry system?
Harley,
I don't doppler my own planes. I let other want to know how fast it goes and let them doppler it. We just fly it level long enough for good video and sound recording.
BTW, the videos just done for fun fying,
You can't doppler it never does level speed pass long enough to doppler.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Tam,
How many battery packs and how long to charge them?
Scott
Sorry Scott,
I got carry with BVM chime in with their Electra speed claim and forget to answer your question.

With the Spark you can do few different set up.
That depend on how fast you want to go.
1. You can just having fun doing 150mph on simple 6s system I got. That is the 30C TP 5000mAh. You can charge it in 35 minutes average with 8.25A charging rate. That is Thunder Power 1010 charger and balancer.
That can do 3-5 minutes flight depend on how long you want to hold the throttle.
2. Next step up is doing 8s system. You need 2 x 4s 5000mAh TP. If you go with this set up. You can get the Hyperion charge and can chare 2 pack at once. This also can charge about 35 minutes.
3. Next step is the 10s set up. This you go with 2 x 5s 5000mAh . Hyperion charger can charge this 5s pack about the same charging time.
4. Now we going with 11s hot set up for speed you see in the video. This need 2 x 4s 5000mAh and 1 x 3s 5000mAh to made 11s set up. You need 2 charger to charge these 3 pack in 35 minutes.
5. Last is the 12s set up. This set up is for the old 25C cell. The 30c cells 11s set up is more than you ever need for the Spark.

Here is what is out there today with Lipos.
There is batteries capable to do 5c charging rate.
If you had 5200mAh 2p pack. You can charge less than 10 minutes. But the problem charger is not available to charge at this rate yet.
Charger only can do 10A max with Thunder Power 1010 and Hyperion. Other charger can also within the same range. But this only two brand I have use.
But my fan system doen't need anything more than 30C. It only draw 100-110A max for high power set up. So the higher C rating doesn't do much for low amps draw fan system. You can use it. But only slight different in performance.
The high C rating cells is good for the fan that draw 130-150A. It need the high C rating to handle it.
Electric do take little understand how to set up your power right.

If you had question. Feel free to call me.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:33 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Video Tam!!
Right now the spark is the only plane out there that can hit these speeds, with it's good size,
and cost. At $3000 it's a bargain

Some of the high cost planes are about that for just the plane...
If I drop over $6000 for the higher cost ARFs.. it better come with a playboy bunny for the pit crew

you have a real winner on your hands and will introduce many new jets pilots to are world

Great Job
I just hope this thread doesn't turn into mine is faster than your thread..
and you lose the credit that is due for what you have done with your setup

Ron

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.