Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Hot Hot Hot >

Hot Hot Hot

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hot Hot Hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:14 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Hot Hot

Hi gents.

If anyone could help, thanks.

I did a ground run today after a very long hangar rash period. The engine runs fine, but seems like the pump is a little out of whack, because
it never reach sufficient idle level right. I could hear the fuel was just a little short from the ideal idle setting.

Anyway, the real help is that. Is there anything i can do to help with the heat in the aft section of the model. It got so hot that it actually
soften the fiberglass and burns my hands when i put it there for more than 2 seconds. Currently, i had a few coats of BVM heat shield on
and that's it. Do i need to install the heat blanket too, or more layers of heat shield? Just to clarify, the model was in the process of building and
was stop due to cash issue. It just now restarted since i saved enough. Thanks a bunch gents.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hot Hot Hot

Can you post some pictures of your setup.

Also what airplane are you talking about?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:19 PM
My Feedback: (171)

a couple thoughts since i went through a hot fuse a while back make sure the end of the pipe is about a half inch inside the end of the fuse and the end of the turbine has a gap of half to one inch depending on who you talk to. sure the fuel filters are cleaned not just look clean very little difference in the look of dirty and clean that could help the idle
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 PM
My Feedback: (6)

I will try to get some pics as soon as i get in states.
The end of the pipe is situated about 1.5 inch inside of the end of the fiberglass exhaust tail cone.
The engine is in full ducting with the pipe's moutn nounted on the outside of the bypass. The bypass
was very cool to almost the same as outside ambient temp during the run. Only the last 20 inches or so from the rear
of the model was so hot. I used the bypas airflow to help mix and cool down the exhaust in the pipe, but i guess it is not
enough. Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:38 AM
My Feedback: (2)

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%">You might want to check the alignment of the turbine exhaust and the pipe outlet. The exhaust could be hitting the side of the pipe and heating it up. You also might want to check for leaks in the pipe or hot exhaust gas getting into the outer pipe. Most by pass setups that I have seen and worked on were hottest at the bypass - pipe junction after that the outer pipe should be able to do a good job insulating the fuselage from the heat of the exhaust. </span></div>