Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
gp lEAR JET WITH FLAPERONS >

gp lEAR JET WITH FLAPERONS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

gp lEAR JET WITH FLAPERONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gp lEAR JET WITH FLAPERONS

i HAD A PREVIOUS POST ON THE GP LEAR JET. I HAVE ADDED FLAPERONS TO THE PLANE. DO YOU THINK THIS WILL HELP SLOW THE LANDINGS.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:27 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try pulling back on the throttle and raise the nose. It'll slow down.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:47 PM

Default landing

this airplane when landing slow will tend to flip over after a main gear bounce. it would land slow with out flaps. but at the high angle of attack,slow speed, and as it hits the mains it would flip onto its back. mine did this and have seen others do it. just come in above stall not "fast" and it just stuck to the ground.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6864_5221.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	4900  
Old 03-26-2002, 05:54 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Learjet

It does not need to land that fast, remember the Learjet only weight 7 or 8 pounds so its not that heavy. The learjet does not need Flaperons.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:10 PM

Yes, the flapperons will slow the landing speed and also help to slow it down quicker than just cutting throttle to idle. If you haven't flown a plane with flapperons before, be aware that the aileron response will be reduced somewhat but you can compensate by using rudder in conjunction. Be careful on your first flights with flapperons deployed because they may cause "induced washin" on the tapered Learjet wing resulting in tipstalling. Test out the stall characteristics of the flapperons with plenty of altitude first before you try to land with them. Good luck :thumbup:
Old 06-01-2002, 05:08 PM

Default Falperons on a lear...

Tried it, repaired the airplane, disabled them.

The posts above are bang on. I had mine tipstall on landing with about 30deg of flap down - flipped so fast I hardly knew what hit it. On the other hand, I did not notice any real slowing of the aircraft. This means no real benefit. I have since recreated it in the GP Real Flight simulator - same results, with the computer calculating only a 3mph difference in stall speed with full flaps down.

I recommend against on this bird.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:00 PM

I used flapperons on mine and it's now in the land fill... Flipped so fast all I saw was the aftermath!!!
Old 01-17-2003, 03:17 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Default GP Learjet

Just wanted to know if this plane is still available? I cant find it in tower or any where.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2003, 03:41 AM

The problem is not stall speed, it is drag, or lack thereof. If you fly the same approach profile with this airplane as you do with a lighter, draggier sport plane, as soon as you stuff the nose down and dive at the runway, it will accelerate and come over the runway way too fast. What you need are either drag devices or a low, gradual approach. Like 2 or 3 deg instead of the 10 deg approach like a trainer would use.

The heavier an airplane gets, the more it accelerates when you stuff the nose down. So if you have a low drag, heavy model, you need drag devices to balance that. If you have more of a weight component along the flight path than your drag component, you have to make the approach more shallow, or add drag. That is why all jet fighters have airbrakes of some kind.

Many turbine models fly at 50 oz wing loading, which is horrendous, but they do it without a problem because they deflect their flaps to 50 or 60 deg, they have airbrakes, and they have gear doors that provide lots of drag and their pilots have figured out how to fly a very shallow, smooth approach at the right speed. Practise is the key. What I would suggest with this model is to deflect the flaps to large angles and practice smooth approaches. When you go around don't climb up to 500 ft and then dive at the runway. Climb to 100 ft and start your turn to final well out. Then maintain a smooth flight path using throttle, and the maintain attitude with elevator. If you start to sink don't pull up - give it a click or two of throttle.

If you just dive at the runway you will overshoot and bounce like hell every time. We've all seen guys do that again and again.