Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 GT models Hawker Hunter build >

GT models Hawker Hunter build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

GT models Hawker Hunter build

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:25 PM
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT models Hawker Hunter build

Ok guys just getting started on the GT models Hawker Hunter. Plane is around 1/8th scale. 70" fuse length and about 52" wingspan. All I got with the kit was plans and the fiberglass parts and the foam cores for wings,stabs and fin. Have to make the fuse formers myself from the plans. Plane will be set up for turbine. Will take care of the problems the original kit had such as the balsa dorsal spine and the balsa fin leading edge. Will make molds to make those out of fiberglass. Will post some pics this weekend as my computer is messed up. Going all out on this rare kit as it is maybe the last of the last.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: GT models Hawker Hunter build

I have one also. I will be very interested in your ideas.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:50 AM

Same as last year for elecrtic jets?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 AM

Hi

I never owned one of these, but a friend did and I seem to remember that the kit had some problem regarding wing angles, in that one wing root had more incidence than the other. My memory could be playing tricks and I could be wrong here, but it might be a good idea to check this out and see if some correction is needed before you add the wing panels.

Gordon
Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 PM

Hey Jets, you have canopy,sabrinas and speed brake in your kit? Mine doesn't have the canopy. Plans say something about these parts being made of abs. I will be making molds for the dorsal spine and fin leading edge. I will make those out of fiberglass. Make an extra set if you can get me copies of what I am missing. Gordon, I heard tales of wing roots having incidence problem. I have a precision level and will check and let everyone know. Will post pics this weekend. Jets if you decide not to build Hunter give me first shot at buying. Gordon aren't you the one that built a Mick Reeves Hunter?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Forgot this cool pic of a real hunter
Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 PM

Henschel- I have all you need plus both styles of drop tanks long and short. We can work something out.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:21 AM

Almost done with the stabs and fin. Question, cores for the stabs are 1/2-3/4 inch longer then the plans. Should I make the stabs as they came from the manufacturer or should I cut the excess off the core and make them the same length as the plans show. Any of you guys that have built this plane ran into the same problem? Pics will be posted this weekend for sure.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 AM

ORIGINAL: henschel

Almost done with the stabs and fin. Question, cores for the stabs are 1/2-3/4 inch longer then the plans. Should I make the stabs as they came from the manufacturer or should I cut the excess off the core and make them the same length as the plans show. Any of you guys that have built this plane ran into the same problem? Pics will be posted this weekend for sure.
Henshel,

I cut mine down to the plan size.

Cheers,

Dick
England

Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Dick thanks for the info. Cut the stabs according to the plans. Have to get a bunch of balsa and ply tomorrow at Lone Star balsa. Will get those pics posted Saturday.
Tim
Old 07-31-2009, 12:46 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does GT models have a website, if not where could i get information/purchase one.

Regards

Loukis
Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 AM

ORIGINAL: henschel
Gordon aren't you the one that built a Mick Reeves Hunter?
No, that's not me Tim. Gordon Mc is the one I think.

Unlike the other Gordon, I've only recently bought my first turbine (a MW44, which would probably be just right for this size Hunter).

Gordon
Old 07-31-2009, 03:21 AM

ORIGINAL: loukos

Does GT models have a website, if not where could i get information/purchase one.

Regards

Loukis
Loukis,

GT models stopped production/stopped business a very long time ago...the Hunter moulds, etc were sold to Jim Fox Models, who sold them to the guy who took over JFM (forgot his name...Adam somethingorother), and then got lost in a big black hole somewhere!

Cheers,

Dick

Old 07-31-2009, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gordon, you also got a turbine

CJ2002 what about the Mig 29 and other old models from JFM!?
All in a black hole

regards Martin
Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: MaHo

Gordon, you also got a turbine

CJ2002 what about the Mig 29 and other old models from JFM!?
All in a black hole

regards Martin
As far as I'm aware, the Mig moulds do exist, but I don't know who has them; I think the Hawk and Sabre that Jim's been doing recently are decendants from his original JFM moulds; no idea what happened to the Hunter and Mig moulds, or those for the Gnat, but the Sea Vixen moulds are with a guy in South Africa. Maybe someone with more up to date knowledge will chip in and let us know.

Cheers,

Dick

Old 08-01-2009, 02:23 PM

Here are the pics of the Hunter. Stabs and rudder. Heineken beer is not part of the kit More to come.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:53 PM

This sucks. Pics didn't come through. Even used a buddies computer to send pics because I thought my puter was messed up. Can download pics on for sale site. Maybe going to have to get ahold of RCU
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM

Drank too much wine. Head feels like Stuka dropped a bomb on me. Hey wait a minute, I think Gap Band made A song like that. Anyway, think I will sell the Hawker. Awesome plane. Only one left maybe. Made all the parts on the plans. Sheeted or halfway sheeted wings. Upgraded landing gear plates made out of phenolic and carbon fiber. Made all the hard to make like dorsal spine and leading edge fin. Fin is complete and sheeted as well as the stabs. All wood is included. This as well as you know the rarest jet on the market. You chaps from across the pond know this kit. Jump on the last one before it is gone or ye Irish knight straightens up and flies right. All the formers were customer made. Sabrina,dosal spine and fin forms are done. All you have to do is either have the forms made out of ABS ore fiberglass. Wings are half way sheeted over with custom made lading gear plates made out of phenolic and sandwiched with carbon fiber. Trade for a Century Jet F-105G or a good bottle of 12 year old Scotch. Just kidding on the Scotch.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Dick,

Would you email me your product review and any personal comments on this kit? Thanks. I are planning on taking this 1980 vintage kit and upgrade it to 2010 Americanize standards to accommodate today's ducted fan, EDF, or turbine engines. Once we get all the parts and pieces, we will begin validating accuracy of the wing saddles, installing the vertical stabs, and make it a one piece fuselage. Our goal is to produce an excellent flying aircraft, light weight, easy to construct, and easy on the pocket book.

Thanks for you help!

Bruce Sanders