Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Skymaster Viper >

Skymaster Viper

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster Viper

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skymaster Viper

How does the Skymaster viper hold up to grass fields.

Our field is not the worst or the best. Are there any mods required??? Also what are you guys useing for a smoke tank in them?? I know alot have smoke, it is easy to fit or need alot of mods.

I think after the fin mod it sounds like that problem is fixed?

I am getting ready to order one so any other comments would be great.

Thanks
Bill
Old 01-21-2010, 02:08 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster Viper

Lots of good info on several build threads for the plane. They are usually pretty close to the top of the jets forum.

Good news is there are many out there so I am sure you will get some good advice here shortly.

The guys at Digitech just came out with a set of trailing link gear that would probably be sweet for grass field ops...

Dave
Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have flown two of my vipers from grass probably 10-15 times. No issues at all. The U/C is very strong, but remember it is also very long and thats a heavy jet ( Especially when fueled ) Although I have never damaged an U/C mount or wing I dont think it would take much of a hard landing or a diver/ pot hole to put a heck of allot of load on the bearers.
Basically what I am saying is that if you have a nice smooth strip and you are confident of landing it well ( Smoothly ) Each time then no problem. But I cant see it coping well with being dumped down on a stalled landing or hitting a pot hole. Having said that other than an Ultra bandit or an airworld jet I cant think of may other jets of this size and weight that will.
I had smoke fitted to one that we built for a customer. 2x 24 oz Dubro tanks either side of the main tanks ( Above inlets ) worked out well.
Have a read through the " Another viper jet " thread. This has pretty much al the mods and changes that we have made to the 9 viper jets that we have been involved with building/ flying.
Good luck, its an awesome plane that I have had lots of fun with, and has out sold even our highest expectations.
Regards Al
Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 AM
My Feedback: (21)

How will this plane handle a p180??

I am worried about weight with my must have smoke system and bigger engine, of a grass field.
What you think is better lighter or more power to get off the grass faster???

thanks
Bill
Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bonanzadrv

I am worried about weight with my must have smoke system and bigger engine, of a grass field.

thanks
Bill
It is usually landings that damage the gear, so I would go with a 160 turbine & keep it as light as possible. Spend the extra money on a heavy roller for the field & fill in any holes.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: bonanzadrv

thanks
Bill
Bill,
I'm running a P200SX (and several others have also a P200 in theirs) in mine, total weight is 23,5 Kg including fuel. The plane handles like a "feather" with that weight,lands SUPER slow (slower than my Boomerang Elan!), no problem whatsoever.
More details in the big Viperjet thread, I have written the weight down on all the parts of the plane (wings, elevator etc)
I will change my main struts to the Trailing Link type Digitech is offering (I'm getting a pair in short time to try out), that will make it even more perfect for grass
Old 01-22-2010, 06:59 AM

23.5kg's !! The 160 powered versions have come out under 20kg's and there isn't that much weight difference surely?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have flown two vipers with P200 set up's and a load with P-160's. For me its a no brainer. 160 every time. You can really feel the weight difference between the two, and although the viper has a load of wing that works really really well the stall characteristics between the lighter set up and the heavier 200 set is to quite noticeable.
I am still sure that I could fly a viper and put on a pretty decent display with a P120 SX. I really should get round to doing this one day as an experiment. With my 160 SX powered V Jet I very rarely find myself other than at take off using full power. I did a display last summer where I left the throttle stick alone at 3/4 power with the 160 sx and apart from a straight out of sight vertical climb ( Which isnt usually part of my flight anyway) there was not any maneuver that I struggled to get through.
But,,,,,, and here is the but. If I were flying at either altitude or heat heat/humid situations I could see how people would want more power.
Carsten... You must have a very poor set up on your elan if you can get a over 23.kg viper to land slower! [X(]