Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Servo Wire Extensions >

Servo Wire Extensions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Servo Wire Extensions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Wire Extensions

Are there any advantages using the braided servo extension wires with the 2.4 technology radios that are out? Thanks in advance ...

Old 01-31-2010, 11:05 PM
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo Wire Extensions

I believe the twisted was good for 72mhz, but for 2.4 I don't think it's necessary. However, I still go with twisted as I get all my extensions from TBM because they are pretty cheap in price.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM
My Feedback: (2)

My understanding is that twisting is effective to reduce noise (spikes) on the servo signal line and probably is not concerned with the RF carrier frequency of the radio.

I have used a .001 cap from signal to ground right at the receiver decoder chip to slow down the rise time of the servo pulse and this was very effective in reducing servo jitter on very long servo leads.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 PM

twisted wires reduce both transmitted (from the servo lead) and received (from outside sources) RF, it's just as important in 2.4 Gig as it was in 72 MHz, far too many people think 2.4 is immune to interference but that is only partialy true of the signal between the TX and RX link, the receiver is just as susceptible to induced noise as any other band receiver.

i saw a guy a few months back who had his 2.4 receiver strapped directly to his ignition module on a gas engine and swore up and down that it had to be a bad receiver causing his glitching because 2.4 is ROCK SOLID to interference and wasn't interested in hearing otherwise........
Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: KC36330

twisted wires reduce both transmitted (from the servo lead) and received (from outside sources) RF, it's just as important in 2.4 Gig as it was in 72 MHz, far too many people think 2.4 is immune to interference but that is only partialy true of the signal between the TX and RX link, the receiver is just as susceptible to induced noise as any other band receiver.

i saw a guy a few months back who had his 2.4 receiver strapped directly to his ignition module on a gas engine and swore up and down that it had to be a bad receiver causing his glitching because 2.4 is ROCK SOLID to interference and wasn't interested in hearing otherwise........
2.4 has far less problems with 'noise' as it operates on a frequancy that is many times higher than a lot of the interference we get in our planes.

Dennis
Old 02-02-2010, 03:14 AM

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

2.4 has far less problems with 'noise' as it operates on a frequancy that is many times higher than a lot of the interference we get in our planes.

Dennis

again, the induced RF feedback that the receiver sees from the servo leads has absolutely NOTHING to do with the transmit/receive frequency.