Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Lookie what just showed up at my door.. >

Lookie what just showed up at my door..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Lookie what just showed up at my door..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lookie what just showed up at my door..

P160SX. Going in my Skymaster F16.

No instructions for the Kerostart and I've never had one. Do you tee off the fuel line into the kero line and use the solenoid valve the same but with kero instead of gas?

AA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ig11055.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	1389631  
Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 PM
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lookie what just showed up at my door..

Pump> Ball-Cock valve > fuel filter > then T to both Jettronics valves.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy,

Now you go buy a flash to put that motor in and get yourself a p-200 for the f-16.

Ron Long
Old 03-01-2010, 11:33 PM
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be a diagram for kero setup in the back of the manual. The diagram probably shows an external plug but the same connections apply to internal plugs.

If you don't have a manual then look on Jetcat's website under tech department...
Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Andy,

You can download the latest manual at:

http://www.jetcatusa.com/PDFFiles/In...l%20V6.0J2.pdf

If you look at page 52, just treat the connection to the kerosene ignitor shown in the drawing as the same as the connection to your 3 mm festo on your new turbine.

I have maybe 100 flights on the P-160SX, it is a very nice turbine, I think you will like it, congrats on the purchase.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 PM

Any priming issues that I need to know about? The manual that they did send has the Kero Start System (V2) in it. It looks like one could easily flood the turbine with start fluid. Is this less of a problem with the internal start verses the system?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

They are now sending them with Thunderpower 3300 7.4V batteries (20C). I also got the new FOD screen and it looks pretty nice. Fitted for the turbine.

Regarding the P-200, I agree, that would really fly nice in the F-16. But I am saving that one for my big F4 Phantom hehe.

AA
Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron has the right idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@]
Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Just diconnect the lines from the engine and place them into a container for priming.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

My 160-SX starts like an electric engine. The internaligniteris awesome. It is not even that hard on the battery. I usually get 5 flights from a 2500 mah ECU battery.

Arnaud<br type="_moz" />
Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So that is what a new 160SX looks like!! I've had my name on the waiting list for one since last Oct. [:@]

I am flying my 1/6 F-16 with a 160 class turbine (Evo Jet Booster 160) and I think it is a great combo. My P-200 is very happy in the F-4.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:14 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Dantley, there is a new 160SX in my Euro at Tam's. You are welcome to look at it but please don't touch it. LOL<div></div><div></div>
Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arnaud, you're so funny!!! If your 160SX is so new, why is there a layer of dust sitting on it?????
Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi guys,

I cringed when I pulled my P-160SX out of the LA river, that was a nice set up on my BobCat, great turbine and the starts were so smooth, time after time, no worries.

Andy, the main kerosene line (the 4mm) and the burner line (the 3mm) are primed seperately. As Wayne said, when you do the priming, just pull the associated line and direct it into a small container and run the prime till the fuel comes out of the line.

The instructions for both items start on page 52 of the manual (clipped below)

Main fuel feed purge (4 mm line)

1. First remove the 4mm kerosene fuel feed line from the engine and put the end of the tube into a small container. This step is required because the turbine would become flooded with kerosene in the following steps!
2. Fill fuel tank.
3. Connect the GSU to the ECU and select the parameter “Pump TestVolt†or “Purge FuelSystem†in the “Test-Functions†menu. (􀃆 press and hold the button “Menu Select†and use the +/- buttons to scroll until “Test-Functions†is displayed, now release the “menu select†button. Thereafter use the +/- buttons to scroll through the Test-Functions menu until “Pump TestVolt†or “FuelSystem†is displayed).
4. Now press the “Change Value†button to start the fuel pump (use the “Change value†button in connection with the +/- buttons to change the pump voltage/power). Continue pumping fuel until all air bubbles are removed.
5. Re-connect the fuel supply tubing to the engine.

Purge the kerosene ignition system (3mm inlet line)
1. First purge the kerosene main supply tubing (as described above). Fill the fuel tank.
2. Disconnect the 3mm kerosene fuel feed line and put the end of the tube into a container. This step is required because the turbine would become flooded with kerosene in the following steps!
3. Connect the GSU to the ECU and select the parameter â€BurnerValve Test†in the “Test-Functions†menu. (ô€ƒ† press and hold button “Menu Select†and use the +/- buttons to scroll until “Test-Functions†is displayed, now release the “menu select†button. Thereafter use the +/- buttons to scroll through the Test-Functions menu until “BurnerValve Test†is displayed).
4. Now press the “Change Value†button to start the fuel pump on a low power setting to pump kerosene through the kerosene-Igniter tubing (the pump runs on a low power setting, the valve for the Kerosene-Igniter is pulsed On/Off , the main fuel shut-off valve stays closed). Continue pumping fuel until all air bubbles are removed.
5. Re-connect the fuel supply tubing to the Kerosene-Igniter (3mm Festo connector).
Old 03-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Once again we are let down in this hobby. We buy expensive products and dont get comprehensive instructions.............. Shame on Jetcat I say

Dennis
Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

Go gas start Kero start more hastle than it is worth
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The instructions are in the manual you just have to read it, but being men we don't read the instructions until we have broken it.

Mike

EDIT: Kero start is easy and an upgrade compared to gas, a bit like using those new modern radial ply tyers instead of staying on cross ply's, what was good enough for my grandfarther etc:
Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 PM
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Andy, yes you do need to prime the glow plug, The setup instructions are on JetCats website. You do have to switch the ECU to kero start mode.

David
Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Once again we are let down in this hobby. We buy expensive products and dont get comprehensive instructions.............. Shame on Jetcat I say
Not sure why you feel let down. All you have you know how to do is read the manual. If you don't understand something, just ask and Jetcat reps and others will help.

As already stated, the instructions are in the manual. If he does not have the manual for some reason he has been provided a direct link to the on-line manual, and in a very timely manner.

I really don't see the problem...
Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 PM

Man, what a nice product. I installed the Turbine last night and cranked it up for the first time this morning. Fired right up the first time without any problems. The Jetcat is apparently shorter than the Rhino that I had in the F16, so I had to redo the balance. Also, these new Jetcats come with lipo batteries which are lighter than the Lithium Ion.

I went with the new FOD screen. Really nice product that is made for the Jetcat. Much better than using the kitchen sink parts for a FOD screen.

Name:	ay73443.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1393017   Click image for larger version

Name:	ok29049.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	1393018  
Old 03-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gary Jefferson

Not sure why you feel let down. All you have you know how to do is read the manual. If you don't understand something, just ask and Jetcat reps and others will help.

As already stated, the instructions are in the manual. If he does not have the manual for some reason he has been provided a direct link to the on-line manual, and in a very timely manner.

I really don't see the problem...

On line manual assumes that you have internet access............ It may surprise you but not everyone has this. I fly with several people that donot have internet access
Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 AM

On line manual assumes that you have internet access............ It may surprise you but not everyone has this. I fly with several people that donot have internet access

First of all, there is a hard copy manual shipped with every turbine sent by Jetcat. If there was not one with the engine then it is a simple phone call to get one.

Secondly, I only said that Andy (not all of your friends in the UK) had been provided a link to access the manual on-line and I assume that he has internet access since he has made a post on RC Universe.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 AM

Its in the manual on page 47. I missed it because its located behind the troubleshooting section as a supplement. See attached. The only thing the supplement missed, unless I missed it somewhere, is that the diagram doesn't show the recommended placement of the petcock valve. I put mine in between the pump and the 3 way fitting to the 4mm and 3mm tubing. Also, there is no mention on how to prime the kero start (3mm tubing) in the manual but Mr. Matts description was correct, which I assume that he got online so all was good! One other thing, I would show the UAT in the diagram for future.

Name:	ge95995.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1393469  
Old 03-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Banned

So it was in the manual...................... So shame removed from Jetcat