Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Sophia Precision J-450 >

Sophia Precision J-450

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sophia Precision J-450

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sophia Precision J-450

Hi guys,

got hold of a Sophia Precision J-450 turbine and was asked if I could help with getting it running, motor seem fairly complete accept for a missing GCU. Will my Wren GCU work with it? Also any other info please......Thrust, RPM, build date etc.

MT

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57406.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1399352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23020.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1399353  
Old 03-16-2010, 01:26 PM
My Feedback: (81)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sophia Precision J-450

MT,
The 450 engine will not work with your Wren or the Jetronics ECU that you show.
You will need a digital speed controler and the required gages to monitor compressure
pressure, and fuel pressure. The engine should not run higher than 1.3 bars. The fuel
required is JP-4 (military fuel) or lantern fuel/Jet A (kerosene or parafen (sp)).
The Sophia requires lots of air(suba tank) and will self destruct if your supply is low
before complete start up. The mix of lantern to Jet A is about 70% to 30% in normal
temps (70 degrees), and around 90/10 in cold temps. I am assuming you have the
original fuel pump, which is about 6 inches long, and 1 1/2 in diameter. If not, you
will need a high pressure fuel pump to get it started. Good luck.

Johnny
Old 03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I recon you might get it running off that jetronic ECU because the engine has been fitted with optical sensors on the inlet although the wires look like they are missing?? Also I think the any jetcat GSU will work. As Johnny says, you will need a decent fuel pump.. The 450 used atomisers and required high pressure. If you don't have an original pump then try a jetcat one. The fuel mix can be 70% kero with 30% gasoline / white gas / panel wipe or coleman fuel. You will need a separate oil tank and oil pump, without this and it needs to be the right type it will last 30 seconds tops! The bearings are no longer available so when it breaks (which it will) then that’s it unless you can grind the shaft to fit others. Theres also an I.O board missing but these are cheap and easy to get.

The engine would have been made between 1996 - 1998

Good luck, you are going to need it[X(]

Jason
Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

The fuel pump in the box is stamped Sophia, so, looks like the original pump. Another friend of mine is the Aussie service agent for Jet Joe(D'oh), Jet Central, and a couple of other turbines imported into Oz, he will pull it apart to see if it is viable to get it running and I will keep you posted.

MT