Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Oil for SM nose strut >

Oil for SM nose strut

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Oil for SM nose strut

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:44 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Oil for SM nose strut

Jeff / Anton or anyone who has already done this.

does anyone know how much oil should be added to the nose strut on the SM F4?

the mains are easy because you have the fill port on the top of the strut but the nose gear doesn't have the same set up.

thanks

buck

Old 04-17-2010, 10:55 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Oil for SM nose strut

[quote]ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

Jeff / Anton or anyone who has already done this.

does anyone know how much oil should be added to the nose strut on the SM F4?

the mains are easy because you have the fill port on the top of the strut but the nose gear doesn't have the same set up.

thanks
Buck

Yo Buck !
Just write it up on the yellow sheet,and have the Hydraulic shop work on it
I know on the mains on their (SM)1/6.5, you have to take them apart to add oil;your nose strut might be the same . But hopefully Jeff/Anton can supply you with the correct info. You be safe and enjoy Mississippi Afterburner.
Semper Fi
Old 04-17-2010, 11:21 AM

thanks UJ

i don't want to underfill or overill the thing, but before i use the TLAR method i thought i'd ask.

i'm giving the old girl a good once over this weekend before the drive to MAB. one more week of eating cheese then off to MAB woooo hoooooooo

hope you can bring the Big Eye out but i understand otherwise. You should start a small business specializing in R/C and general photography.

cheers

Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I understood you right, but here it goes. Please excuse the poor explenation in english...[:-]

Use the syringe(?), tube and nipple that comes with the plane. Fill the syringe halfway with oil and connect the nipple to the strut and bleed the strut so only clear oil with no bubbles is seen in the tube.
Then you compress the strut to the point where you don't want it to ever go lower than. Then unscrew the nipple and fill with air until you get the tension you want.

Think of it as the amount of oil is to control the stroke of the suspension and that the amount of air pressure is the hardness of the spring in a conventional setup.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Thanks Staale

no worries on the translation, i understood you perfectly and is "spot on" for SM Main landing gear. However, the SM F4 nose strut does not use this capability. it is not an Air/Oil strut.

it has a spring / some oil / a plastic plunger and a bolt that provides the leg extension.

In my F4, I don't know if the spring has gotten soft or if my oil capacity has been diminished. I think the nose is compressing during my take off roll (she weighs 40lb dry) and creating a slightly negative to neutral AOA. The end result is a "jump off the deck" take off rotation that has become more pronounced during my last few flights.

I'm contemplating a stiffer spring, a slight pre-load on the spring with the addition of a spacer or refilling with oil. I'm hoping Jeff or Anton can answer the oil quantity question.

cheers
buck

Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 PM

Got you now. Had a feeling you vere not talking about the normal setup. Haven't seen the ones you are talking about.
Good luck. I'm sure Anton or LiKai will chime in soon
Old 04-18-2010, 04:17 PM
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

Thanks Staale

no worries on the translation, i understood you perfectly and is ''spot on'' for SM Main landing gear. However, the SM F4 nose strut does not use this capability. it is not an Air/Oil strut.

it has a spring / some oil / a plastic plunger and a bolt that provides the leg extension.

In my F4, I don't know if the spring has gotten soft or if my oil capacity has been diminished. I think the nose is compressing during my take off roll (she weighs 40lb dry) and creating a slightly negative to neutral AOA. The end result is a ''jump off the deck'' take off rotation that has become more pronounced during my last few flights.

I'm contemplating a stiffer spring, a slight pre-load on the spring with the addition of a spacer or refilling with oil. I'm hoping Jeff or Anton can answer the oil quantity question.

cheers
buck

Hey Buck,

You may want to consider switching to a Matrix Machine air strut. I switched to this strut last year before Super Jets South and it worked perfectly each flight. John's a perfectionist, the air extension works great and he's added scale details that the stock strut doesn't have. http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/id14.html
Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 PM

Mike

thanks for the link. i'm calling tomorrow. is it a drop in fit into the Retract receiver and steering servo assembly?

awesome!!! i had one of the air extenders on my BV F4 and it was pretty darn cool

ORIGINAL: f106jax

Thanks Staale

no worries on the translation, i understood you perfectly and is ''spot on'' for SM Main landing gear. However, the SM F4 nose strut does not use this capability. it is not an Air/Oil strut.

In my F4, I don't know if the spring has gotten soft or if my oil capacity has been diminished. I think the nose is compressing during my take off roll (she weighs 40lb dry) and creating a slightly negative to neutral AOA. The end result is a ''jump off the deck'' take off rotation that has become more pronounced during my last few flights.

cheers
buck

Hey Buck,

You may want to consider switching to a Matrix Machine air strut. I switched to this strut last year before Super Jets South and it worked perfectly each flight. John's a perfectionist, the air extension works great and he's added scale details that the stock strut doesn't have. http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/id14.html
Old 04-18-2010, 07:25 PM

Mike

thanks for the link. i'm calling tomorrow. is it a drop in fit into the Retract receiver and steering servo assembly?

awesome!!! i had one of the air extenders on my BV F4 and it was pretty darn cool

Buck,
The steering pushrod will need to be moved to the opposite side of the servo compared to the OEM strut. Other than that, it's a drop in.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:12 PM

SWEET!!!!!

Buck,
The steering pushrod will need to be moved to the opposite side of the servo compared to the OEM strut. Other than that, it's a drop in.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:05 PM

Hi Buck:

I think your F-4 nose strut is is early model and there is no filling port on the strut body, it is spring supported and oil damped design. To fill oil in the nose strut, you have to unscrew a 2mm bolt on the torque links then pull out the sliding shaft and now you can fill oil into the strut. The volume of oil for nose strut is about 7.5ml, but you can slightly adjust it for your favorite nose height setting.

Best regards

Li Kai
Old 04-19-2010, 02:06 AM

Hey Buck,

What type of oil are you using for your struts? I need to get some.

Thanks!
DD
Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 AM

Mr. Li Kai

thank you very much for the below information. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

ORIGINAL: Likai

Hi Buck:

I think your F-4 nose strut is is early model and there is no filling port on the strut body, it is spring supported and oil damped design. To fill oil in the nose strut, you have to unscrew a 2mm bolt on the torque links then pull out the sliding shaft and now you can fill oil into the strut. The volume of oil for nose strut is about 7.5ml, but you can slightly adjust it for your favorite nose height setting.

Best regards

Li Kai
Old 04-19-2010, 07:17 AM

Hey amigo

i got it from my LHS. it's called OFNA racing Diff-Lock silicone oil 3000 wtg p/n 10232

Vin out of Phoenix had some recommendations a while ago for something similar. maybe he'll chime in or you can pm him also.

cheers
buck

ORIGINAL: dubd

Hey Buck,

What type of oil are you using for your struts? I need to get some.

Thanks!
DD
Old 04-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Mike

have you had many flights on the new nose strut since Super Jets South? I may try and get her on my F4 before Mississippi next week

thanks
buck

Hey Buck,

Old 04-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Buck,

No flights since SJS....the cold and snow started shortly after I returned from Georgia. [] Next flights should be Memorial Day weekend at First in Flight in NC. Hope to have the new SM ViperJet done for FiF also.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 PM

well.......pack up your shtuff and head SW to Mississippi!!!!! between me, you and Andy we could have some fun racin' F4s around the pattern for a couple of laps.

thanks again for the link. i'm waiting on contact info from matrix.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM

well.......pack up your shtuff and head SW to Mississippi!!!!! between me, you and Andy we could have some fun racin' F4s around the pattern for a couple of laps.

thanks again for the link. i'm waiting on contact info from matrix.

Man, I'd love to get to MAB but I'll be headed to the shore for a get away with the missus instead. You thinking about getting to Lewis Patton's gig in TN or Georgia in Sep?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 PM

I think work is gonna keep me pretty busy amigo but if i can make it i sure will. It's always fun to go to meets in different parts of the country to rendezvous with old friends. How's the son-in-law? LOL

take care amigo. i look forward to trying out the nose strut.