Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Robart Gear Valve Problem >

Robart Gear Valve Problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Robart Gear Valve Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart Gear Valve Problem

I have a Robart gear valve where, if the needle valve is even slightly threaded in, prevents the exhaust air from escaping so that the gear will not function. When I say "even slightly threaded in", I am talking about the difference between where the needle is held in place or gets blown out of the casing...1/4 turn maybe. I can remove the needles completely and the gear function is normal but a little to "severe" so I am pretty sure it is just a needle valve issue. Anyone ever have this problem? Anyone ever try filing a little off the needle itself and did it solve the problem?

Thanks,
George
Old 07-22-2010, 02:32 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Robart Gear Valve Problem

George,

Is this a new valve or has it been in service for a while?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM

New valve....maybe 20 flights but the problem was noted as an issue on install. I can send it back but am just trying to safe the time and hassle if I can cure it myself.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:39 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I have come across two possible causes of your issue in the past. There is possibly a burr in the hole that did not get completely removed before final assembly or I have also seen where the needle hole is not drilled completely through and the needle closes the hole off not allowing air to escape. The needle could be out of tolerance but I would tend to lean more towards an issue with valve body.

Hope this helps and keep me posted.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same exact issue on my red robart valve. What I did was cut down the needle (do at your own risk) so that the point was blunt. This allowed it to screw in further and now it works perfect. It would only engage about 1.5 threads max. Now it works great and it still regulates fine.

I would take a pic, but I have it set where I want it and don't want to mess with it.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the input. I ended up shortening and narrowing the needle and got the result I wanted.

George
Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 PM
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

similar to what i did.