Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 propane light off >

propane light off

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

propane light off

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default propane light off

I have Wren 54 that I cant get the propane to light off during start sequence. at first I thought maybe I had a dead plug. I removed the plug and grounded it to the case and initiated a start. the plug lit nice and bright as it should. Then I removed the gas line from the thumbscrew and tried using the powermax straight into the turbine. Still no glory. Then I tried blowing into the gas line and although it was a little hard, there was air going into the chamber. Does anybody have a suggestion what I should try next? Im wondering if there is a blockage or something but I can hear gas passing into the chamber[]
Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Default RE: propane light off

Does the plug coil protrude slightly out of the casing? I had a RAM 500 a few years ago I could not start. Tried everything but after gently extending the coil she started up and never had another starting issue.
Good Luck
Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 AM
My Feedback: (39)

Several questions need to be addressed before we can evaluate this problem.

Is this a new install?
Had the motor always started prior to this?
Any fabricated extensions being used to the starter/glow ?
Onboard propane or direct from a bottle?
Solenoid connected properly? (proper flow direction and properly connected to the ECU)
How many turns c/w on the propane needle?
Location of glow plug (top-side bottom?)
Verify that the solenoid is actually working?

my cell# 260-701-8936

Old 08-02-2010, 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Wren Turbines USA

Several questions need to be addressed before we can evaluate this problem.

Is this a new install?
Had the motor always started prior to this?
Any fabricated extensions being used to the starter/glow ?
Onboard propane or direct from a bottle?
Solenoid connected properly? (proper flow direction and properly connected to the ECU)
How many turns c/w on the propane needle?
Location of glow plug (top-side bottom?)
Verify that the solenoid is actually working?

my cell# 260-701-8936

Thanks for the suggestions Ron and others. After not sleeping thinking about this I went out and tried to sort it out. This engine has always started with no issues EVER. I hadnt ran this turbine for about 4 months. I checked the gas line to the engine again and tried to start it with the powermax directly into the turbine bypassing the thumbscrew. Bad idea, as I got it to light in a BIG way[:@] Massive fireball but a quick spurt of the extinguisher took care of that. So I knew at this point it was def. getting propane! Next I hooked the gas line back to the thumscrew and oened the screw 1.5 turns abd tried it again. VOILA! Glory!!!!! Although I inverted the powermax can, I quickly learned how little gas this turbine needs to light off. I think I was trying to start with WAAAAAY too much gas. I did a proper shut down and started it again just to make sure it wasnt a fluke.

I also learned to ALWAYS have an extinguisher nearby and to NEVER EVER get complacent with an extinguisher. If I had, I would have had some fire damage for sure!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 128 Likes on 111 Posts

Congrats!!!!! and thank you for been safe by keeping the extinguisher near by, I can't tell you how many guys I have see BBQing their jets just because the extinguisherssssss yes, many, were way far away (including their own) to get them in time to the jet. [:@]
Old 08-02-2010, 02:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Number one gas related problem, Too Much Gas! most people dont realise how little gas is needed to start these turbines
Old 08-02-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

Number one gas related problem, Too Much Gas! most people dont realise how little gas is needed to start these turbines
Couldn't agree more, congrats check6,

The hotter the ambient temperature the less propane, has everything to do with propan/oxygen ratio. I use on board and typically dial down to 30 to 35 percent, and a shot of Robart 4 oz tank will last an entire weekend.

Barry
Old 08-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Bingo! Last time I ran the 54 was early spring. Most likely about 65 or maybe 70 degrees TOPS and humidity not close to what it is this time of year in mid. TN. when it lit off today it was 90 and 80% humidity! It paid off to purge the gas, use the thumbscrew and use VERY little gas. Embarrassing? Well, ya a little. But Im thick skinned so its all good.

As for an extinguisher, if I am even working on a jet with both batts plugged in and switches on I always keep an ext. right there. No exceptions. And no brainer when it comes to even testing an engine. Mostly because its the safety factor involved, murphys laws, and I dont know what it would take for my wife to say yes to replacing something I "cooked"!!!!! If I wasnt prepared I would have baked that sucker good by the time I ran and got it, tried to use it, realised I didnt pull the pin etc......you know how it goes[sm=drowning.gif]