Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Degree of Scale >

Degree of Scale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Degree of Scale

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Degree of Scale

I guess I had forgotten that the research involved while searching for your next project is going to facilitate new questions.

In this case, I don't think there is any real answer other than the infamous RCU consensus! Which has not let me down yet.

In the world of ARF's, Excluding BVM, Airworld or other working stiff unfriendly model:

- How can one determine a good level of detail?

- Does a Skymaster F-18 (just to pick one arbitrarily) have a better scale appearance that an FEJ, JL, Fei Bao or Yellow (or others in the same price category) ?

- Most of the newer models all seem to have panel lines and rivets... Am I correct in this observation? Does any certain company have better rivets? Or more true panel lines?

- What about the overall correctness of the model? The preservation of it's full scale appearance, Fuse details, Devices, etc... Anyone doing a notably better job in achieving this?

I'm just saying, If you have X amount of $$ for an ARF and 6 companies produce the model you are considering, How the heck would you know which one you would like the most?

Thanks! Pete

Old 08-07-2010, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Degree of Scale

No better way then to see it first hand at a jet meet.
Pictures can make an otherwise nice scale model look way off just because of the angle that the picture was taken.
I think to really know you have to see what you are interested in first hand.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:59 PM
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

are you competeing with it, bragging you did the work or just want something nice to look at. WIth any and all scale models there is always moe that can be done. With detailing a scale model, your never done you just stop
Old 08-08-2010, 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Pete737

I guess I had forgotten that the research involved while searching for your next project is going to facilitate new questions.

In this case, I don't think there is any real answer other than the infamous RCU consensus! Which has not let me down yet.

In the world of ARF's, Excluding BVM, Airworld or other working stiff unfriendly model:

- How can one determine a good level of detail?

- Does a Skymaster F-18 (just to pick one arbitrarily) have a better scale appearance that an FEJ, JL, Fei Bao or Yellow (or others in the same price category) ?

- Most of the newer models all seem to have panel lines and rivets... Am I correct in this observation? Does any certain company have better rivets? Or more true panel lines?

- What about the overall correctness of the model? The preservation of it's full scale appearance, Fuse details, Devices, etc... Anyone doing a notably better job in achieving this?

I'm just saying, If you have X amount of $$ for an ARF and 6 companies produce the model you are considering, How the heck would you know which one you would like the most?

Thanks! Pete

Ive owned and built jets from most of the Asian manufacturers and the Yellow Aircraft (twin) F-18 has the best scale outline of the available Asian produced bugs. The rest are much closer to "sport scale" in overall outline. FEJ, JL, Fei Bao, Skymaster all would be very similar in this respect. Level of accuracy paint finish and decal wise is more debatable than their overall differences in actual scale outline at least as far as the F-18 Hornets and Super Hornets that these manufacturers all produce....

With Yellow Aircraft ARF's you are limited to their (twin) F-18, F-15 and F-22. I would say these three are definitely up there if not the best of the Asian produced ARF's. Der Jet Model would be very close and the next best in my opinion with their Cougar and new Vampire. Then it's a toss up between all the rest depending on which specific model, your expectations and point of view...

Cheers- Marty
Old 08-08-2010, 03:02 AM

I have to say that FEJ are getting a lot better with their scale outlines including their landing gear. The early models left a lot to be desired but they are definitely improving.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:57 AM

Marty,

With all dew respect i would like to know where you based your facts on. As far i i know Y/A f18 twin competed in WJM F4J class in Thailand and in Ireland. Thailand was by Andrew Robinson twin DF and in Ireland Dewey from USA. To make a long story short - The subject is not worth entering in serious scale competition. Before you shoot me down... I have one and it flies better than the rest! Why? Because wing loading. End of story. But more scale than rest of asia....... please proof me wrong.

PETE.

If you want a serious scale model - then you need to go the old fashion way and scratch build it. That will be the cheapest but best option. Second option is go with the names that have won scale competitions before, but they come at a price...

my 2c

Morne
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can add all of the bells and whistles you want but if the jet isn't scaled properly from the beginning from the actual blue prints or taken off a real subject then I don't think its very scale at all. I don't see how anyone can properly do it off pictures, although its probably done all the time. They usually do a pretty good job on the fuse then they mess up the wings. There have been several instances of this from the China made kits, ie, as of late, F18 wings, Stealth fighter wings not being thin enough, F86 inlets not correct, F100 canopies not correct to scale. The list goes on. These are the worst kinds of scale mistakes because they are not hidden very well with all of the falsies stuck all over them.

If you want to get an idea of what good scale should look like take a look at the new Tomahawk BAE Hawk and the new L-39 they are comming out with. In my opinion the amount of detail these guys put in their kits is something to emulate:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._1/key_/tm.htm

One of the best F18 models that I have seen is this (Jorges?) Cold Lake CF18 and I think its a Yellow. I mean look at that gear!:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92...tm.htm#9236242

I believe BVM actually took scale mesurements off a real F4 when doing that jet. They probably did the same on others but I don't.

Marty where does the Tams F18 Super Hornet fall in your list? Just curious.

Thanks, Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ol31293.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1480718   Click image for larger version

Name:	jf11479.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1480719  
Old 08-08-2010, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 234 Likes on 122 Posts

From the models i have seen in person, owned or know alot about, none of the asian manufacturers Except Comp-Arf make anything that would fair well in any of the higher scale competitions. The Yellow F-18 is off in places on outline and is slightly higher in correct-ness than most sport-scale models, But i wouldn't even classify them as an "asian arf" because i'm about 95% sure each one of their arfs are HAND built here in the USA. Skymaster probably comes next in line, and then FB and FEJ are about the same. From what i have seen with the level of detail put into the FEJ, FB and skymaster F-14, i am not impressed by their "scale fidelity" as the f-14 from all 3 of those manufacturers have Huge outline issues, but it looks like an F-14.. so thats close enough for them i guess..

If you want a true "scale" model, you will either have to build it from scratch or pay the $$$$ for the kits that are available. If you just want something that is going to look about right and just be a good looking weekend jet, then go with what you like and look at previous build threads, pictures, etc of previous and current models from that manufacturer to see how much detail they put into the models. which IMO skymaster seems to be about the most detailed with all of their models.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 AM

That F-18 gear is great for sure. Problem with all the jets out there is that people are led to believe that adding some rivits and panel lines on a mould makes the model more scale. It does not as both Morne and Andy say, if the outline aint right in all views then the model aint right at all. Problem also is that ARF's have no place in "real" scale comps as "assembly" of a model isn't in anyway like "building" a model at all and once a comp allows ARF's in the door, the comp goes south. Then there those who say they don't have the time to build, but spend coutless hours in fornt of the tv at night. Adding a few bits to ARF's to make them "more scale" or "individual" does not make a scale modelller in my view. I have great admiration to those who make there models from a kit or scratch build as they keep the interest aliveand produce some damn fine stuff.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:51 PM

Well in my humble opinion the Yellow Aircraft F-18 leaves the other bugs for dead both in scale outline and overall level of finish.... I was suggesting among the asian F-18 offerings and (F-18's only) It's not a matter of proving anyone wrong just an observation and if there is a better ARF bug being mass produced Iam simply unaware of it. Sticking to F-18's here mind you and Iam not saying the Yellow twin version is perfect but I think it is the best of the bunch overall. Competition wise you can make anything into a potential winner with enough effort, again the Yellow Aircraft version likely would require the least amount of effort I think.

Again sticking to F-18's for sake of comparison... Like I said you could argue about the other manufacturers bug's varying degree of scale fidelity and you would more than likely find no "clear cut" winner I believe....

Andy- I thinks Tams Super Bug is very close to the top of the rest after the Yellow (twin). The "custom painted finished" versions of Tam Super Hornet are extremely well finished, the paint and detail work is exceptional and on par or better with some of the best I've seen. Not sure about scale outline accuracy at F3A, World Scale or Masters competition level's though. Definitely a well proven design and flyer overall and Tams a great guy to deal with also so if I was shopping for a Super Hornet I would be looking at Tams for sure.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:41 PM

The China companies generally Rush a poorly researched and developed model to market, knowing there will always be a bunch of westerners who claim to have no time, but have plenty of credit cards.

Prepainted is standard, which hides any possible workmanship problems. These companies often know next to nothing about the particular type of jet they are modeling, but astonishingly always have a long line of people excited about their next release.

I often hear the terms scale, super scale, ultra scale, mega scale, but one look at their landing gear and cockpits tell the whole story.... and the outines are usually very suspect. They are a great deal if you simply fly ovals every weekend, but if you want to get into REAL scale, better you be willing to pay for it or just build it yourself.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I love to fly ovals on my partially scale Chinese arf jets....

Foto courtesy from a Finnish RCU friend who was a pleasure to meet this place this week!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87893.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	1481167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35634.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	1481168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74838.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1481169  
Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

My Elan is a nearly perfect scale model of the XL! The outline is perfect and my Pro Link gears are a dead on match for the XL gear.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

My Elan is a nearly perfect scale model of the XL! The outline is perfect and my Pro Link gears are a dead on match for the XL gear.

Now that's funny!