Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Skymaster Large Viperjet Owners, do you permanently attach your wing-tip winglets? >

Skymaster Large Viperjet Owners, do you permanently attach your wing-tip winglets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, it's safer so they don't come off in flight.
20.59%
Yes, but only after I run my lights to wingtips.
5.88%
No, they are better to screw on/off as needed for a variety of reasons
73.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Skymaster Large Viperjet Owners, do you permanently attach your wing-tip winglets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skymaster Large Viperjet Owners, do you permanently attach your wing-tip winglets?

Hey All,

I realize there is a giant SM Viperjet thread started by Ali that likely has this answer posted somewhere in it, but this is a simple question:

Got my SM Viperjet back from my builder RTF. The curved winglets at the tips of the wings have not been permanently attached but can be screwed on/off by 2 screws . My builder did this in case I choose to go without them. I want them on, but am not sure if:

1. there are any benefits/detriments to permanently attaching them
2. If attaching permanently how would you suggest doing so? Just sand down, hysol on, and crank down on screws?
3. If permanently attached does this prohibit effective running of wing tip lights later?
4. What have you all done to your winglets/lights/wings?

By the way, as a shameless plug for my builder- my builder is Bill Hatcher - his builds are phenomenal and VERY affordable and fast-his builds are as nice or nicer than most anything I have seen online or off. Planes are sturdy, retracts work with no leaks, support equipment is intelligently placed with future service in mind, it's all done very clean. Let me know if you want his contact info.

Shaz
Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster Large Viperjet Owners, do you permanently attach your wing-tip winglets?

No real reason to glue them on. No structural or even apperance issues in my opinion. With just 2 small screws on the bottom, they can easily be removed for transport, repair/replacement or lighting installation/maintenance. Don't mess with a good thing!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:31 PM
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster Large Viperjet Owners, do you permanently attach your wing-tip winglets?

They would be the first victims of Hangar Rash!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 PM

The carbon pins hold the winglets just fine. I just added a strip of clear tape over the joint on the underside of the wing. Works fine for more than 75 flight so far.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:36 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Meesh

They would be the first victims of Hangar Rash!
+1
Old 08-12-2010, 02:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Stig Andersen

The carbon pins hold the winglets just fine. I just added a strip of clear tape over the joint on the underside of the wing. Works fine for more than 75 flight so far.
+1
Old 08-13-2010, 02:28 AM

Here you'll see my solution for both version of wing tips. I prefer to fly with the wing tip tanks.
Regards
Fritz/Switzerland
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11781.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1483215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72183.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1483216  
Old 08-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had vipers with them both permanent and detachable. No real difference either way to be honest.
I never took them off the detachable version, and never once found myself wishing they were detachable from the fixed version. I guess just in case, its better to make them removable.
Regards Al
Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 AM
My Feedback: (46)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shaz …….Scratch a wingtip……………..nooooooooooooooooooooo[sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

we made them permanent on Paul's Viperjet only because when he was trying to take them off, the bolt head broke off of one of the bolts, after that it was either use a brass tube to cut around the existing broken bolt, or just glue them permanent, so we glued them. Once we blended the joint with filler and painted it, it does look nicer, but that's just opinion
Old 08-13-2010, 11:24 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

we made them permanent on Paul's Viperjet only because when he was trying to take them off, the bolt head broke off of one of the bolts, after that it was either use a brass tube to cut around the existing broken bolt, or just glue them permanent, so we glued them. Once we blended the joint with filler and painted it, it does look nicer, but that's just opinion
Wow Jeremy, it took me a while to understand what you meant by copper tube and what that had to do woth a broken bolt, but now that I am visualizing it in my mind, that is A GREAT TIP on how to reomove broken bolts!
Usually I try to drill them out and make a small disaster into a much larger disaster

This one belongs in the "Useful Tips Thread" that is fizzling out on page 2 or 3 of the jets forum!
Thanks!

Shaz
Old 08-13-2010, 03:55 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 235 Likes on 122 Posts

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

Wow Jeremy, it took me a while to understand what you meant by copper tube and what that had to do woth a broken bolt, but now that I am visualizing it in my mind, that is A GREAT TIP on how to reomove broken bolts!
Usually I try to drill them out and make a small disaster into a much larger disaster

This one belongs in the ''Useful Tips Thread'' that is fizzling out on page 2 or 3 of the jets forum!
Thanks!

Shaz
+1 wish i would of known this tip about 4 days ago....
Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup, when you're dealing with wood or composites, all you need to do is get a brass tube that the ID of the tube will fit around the broken bolt. Sharpen the end of the tube, even cut some teeth into it if you want, and chuck it into a drill, let it cut around the broken bolt and you can pop the broken bolt right out of there
Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Heer

Here you'll see my solution for both version of wing tips. I prefer to fly with the wing tip tanks.
Regards
Fritz/Switzerland
Heer,

I know it's a very old thread but could you please advise where you got your wing tip tanks from??

Thanks
Regards,
Old 05-29-2012, 04:46 AM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yup, when you're dealing with wood or composites, all you need to do is get a brass tube that the ID of the tube will fit around the broken bolt. Sharpen the end of the tube, even cut some teeth into it if you want, and chuck it into a drill, let it cut around the broken bolt and you can pop the broken bolt right out of there
but then you end up with a larger hole. no ?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey folks not sure if this thread is still alive. I have a 2.6M viperjet that needs a repair. Where the mains attach to the wings, in the top side of the wing, there is a crack that needs some attention. How do I repair a crack from the inside/underside of the wing? Thanks! Tom
Old 06-17-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Tips/WingStressCracks.htm
Old 06-18-2015, 04:25 PM

Thank you!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Anytime!

This is the way I use to fix stress cracks, however I use laminations of fiberglass with ca glue.. you can customize the strength of it adding as many layers you want.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:04 PM

Roger that!