Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
 Getting a headache trying to pick one >

Getting a headache trying to pick one

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Getting a headache trying to pick one

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a headache trying to pick one

Im trying to decide which monster truck to go with, but for the life of me, I cannot decide.

It will be used for recreation. I wont be hard on it, but I want something relatively durable for times when things do get a little rough.

It will be my first one, so I dont want one too complicated or tempermental.

I do not wish to modify any part of it beyond what is absolutly necessary.

I want to make sure, though, that I get a quick/fast one that can be flung around some. (Donuts, powerslides, small jumps, etc.)

I guess my number one desire is sick acceleration.

So far the ones Ive looked into are:
(Please note-watching videos of them are a BIG part of my research)

Revo- Reviews of it are favorable, in the video it looks good, but Ive read that it doesnt quite accelerate like the others...if its true, thats a BIG drawback.

LOSi LST- Reviews of this one are great as well, in the vid it looks like it has MEAN top end, but it also looks like it handles bad, and doesnt have much bottom end.

Savage 2.5- This one looks fun, but I havent exacly read rave reviews about it.

CEN Genesis- This one looks like its EXACTLY what I want in the video- acceleration looks great, handling looks great, looks all around fun. I would have already bought one, but they dont seem to popular. I dont see much about them on message boards and such, so that has sorta put a damper on it.

So, whats the deal on these? Is there one out there that is known for its speed and acceleration? Is there a quick one that is well-rounded otherwise?

I'd appreciate any and all recommendations, and why you recommend it.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2006, 02:12 AM

Default RE: Getting a headache trying to pick one

Here we go again.. GO with the Genesis. I have one. and love it. Sick power.... and i mean SICK....
5 horsepower isnt kidding around. Massive wheelie bottem end and bashing fun....if you plan on racing, then go with the Nemesis 7.7 ITs the race version of Genesis.

Its not as popular because CEN is still a growing company while Traxxas , Losi, HPI are already established their reputation for years...

They all do about the same top speed and all are pretty nice..
Old 01-11-2006, 02:17 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Alright... here's my take on it... the LST2 is a great truck... and will do everything you said you wanted... the handling (from what I've experienced) is pretty nice... accelleration is probably one of the fastest... The Revo (My personal favorite) is a great all-around truck. Even though it has a small .15 in it... it packs a POTENT punch. It does accellerate nicely... again, one of the fastest... handles great, and is WONDERFUL for a beginner. (I was one once...) The Savage 25 is a durable basher... it has a high center of gravity, which makes its handling not as good as the other two previously mentioned. Cen Genesis... very heavy truck... haven't seen much about it.. other than some other people saying it sucks... I won't give a yea or nay on that one... since I don't know. For what you want, truthfully.. all of 'em would do well (barring other's opinions on the Genesis) The LST, Revo, and Savage have all been proven to be great, durable trucks. Everyone has their own experiences with them, and will obviously have a different opinion than I have... My personal choice for what you want would probably be a Revo... it has great accelleration... does great donuts... handles beautifully, it looks complicated, but it's not... and it's not very tempermental (however, the 2.5r can be kinda fun to tune...) The LST would be my second choice... for the exact same reasons as the Revo... in my opinion the reason I pick the Revo over the LST... for a GREAT bashing LST, you'll want to do aluminum diff covers, RPM a-arms, and aluminum gear cover... I had 2 Revos out of the box... and bashed 'em like crazy... didn't need anything.... the Savage would be a good one, but it's not quite as fast as the other two and doesn't handle quite as nice, either.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:20 AM

ORIGINAL: RC30GTR
Here we go again...
Sorry....for the life of me I looked and looked and couldnt find anything....now, just glancing, I just finished reading a similar thread.

Besides, I like a lot more direct info, like (blank) is definatly faster than (blank), and (blank) handles way better than (blank).

Thanks a LOT for your reply, and it brings me to another point... the Genesis is rated at 5hp, which seems very impressive, but does it really outrun comperable trucks since it is so much heavier?

I looked at the Nemesis, but I think I want reverse.

I too have heard the Gen/Nem.....esis are crappy. Like I said, on paper, and in the video, man, they look MEAN, but then I read bad things.

So, thank you, thank you, thank you very much for taking time to respond.

Your opinions and advice are very much apprecited.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:28 AM

I also have a Genesis Le, I love it. It is the ultimate basher, it's huge and I wouldn't even consider getting anything smaller for a basher now that I have it. Check out the Cen forum here on RCU. As you know it has reverse, and oh the power after having this 5hp engine you will laugh at any thing less.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Jman44
As you know it has reverse, and oh the power after having this 5hp engine you will laugh at any thing less.
How 'bout 3HP on a Revo?

EDIT: LOL... sorry.. had to say it... don't want to start a war over here...
Old 01-11-2006, 02:35 AM

ORIGINAL: REVOFAMILY

As you know it has reverse, and oh the power after having this 5hp engine you will laugh at any thing less.
How 'bout 3HP on a Revo?

Yeah yeah lol we all know u love your Revo and all other Revos, but how does it handle that kind of power eh?
Old 01-11-2006, 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: REVOFAMILY

How 'bout 3HP on a Revo?

Yeah yeah lol we all know u love your Revo and all other Revos, but how does it handle that kind of power eh?
LOL... [link=http://www.renegaderevo.com/Videos/firstvid.wmv]Great... glad you asked.[/link]

Wait... before you post... let me guess what you're next comment will be...

"Yeah, but the TM323 doesn't have 3hp"

And to that I would have to say...

[link=http://www.rcpics.net/img/70380]Yeah, but the OS .30 does... [/link]

But, to any who doubt the power of the wonderful OS .30... I think we can all agree that the EB Modded Novarossi .28 has plenty of power...

[link=http://www.rcpics.net/img/71558]Thanks freez... [/link]

Now, see... I didn't want to start a war...and I still don't...
Old 01-11-2006, 02:57 AM

Whoa...cool vids[8D] but I dont wanna do any engine swaps, not yet anyways.

If you took a stock Revo, Genesis, and LST, and set them all next to eachother at one end of that parking lot, and nailed em all at the same time, which one would cover the first 10 feet first, and then which one would get to the other end first?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:00 AM

That I don't know, I don't own all three. Are you looking for a racing truck?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:01 AM

TO be honest with ya... I don't know... they're relatively evenly matched... since I've never seen a Genesis run.... I don't know how fast it is.... depending on who you ask... the Revo and LST would be a good competition (never seen stockers out of the box put in a drag together)
Old 01-11-2006, 03:16 AM

No, not looking for a racer, I just wanted to try and see if I could get any concrete idea on how they acceleration would actually compare between them.

I notice on Ebay the Revo is about $100 cheaper than the Genesis, and about $150 cheaper than the LOSi, new in box.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:19 AM

Yes the genesis is quite expensive, I guess larger size larger price.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:22 AM

They're all fairly evenly matched... and I don't believe there's ever been an actual race between stockers... One thing to consider... with the Genesis... you're NEVER going to find more power... (unless you strap it to the back of your car) since it has the biggest engine on the market... The LST has a little more upgradability when it comes to engines... but the Revo has the most upgradability.... so in the future... you will see more of a difference with the Revo... the same engines you can put in the LST to make it more powerful.... you can put in the Revo... and make it a LOT faster.... Just something to consider. Personally, my choice would not reside around the Genesis... but, that's just me... local support for CEN products is nill to none. (at least it is here...) Losi, Traxxas, and HPI will all have good support...
Old 01-11-2006, 03:33 AM

So the Losi doesnt handle like poop, and has decent bottom-end?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:35 AM

From my experiences... nah.. the LST handles great (just ask 2DMaxLST... he'll tell ya... LOL) bottom-end power seems to be pretty good.... most of the ones I've seen have loose slipper clutches.... which take away from the wheelie-ability.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:00 AM

Is it a bad idea to buy used, since I dont know the history, or is it common for people to buy used?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:00 AM

buying used in most cases, you should factor in the price of replacing the engine very soon. also, about the prices found on ebay you listed, look at the difference in electronics included and you'll warrent the purchase and be getting a larger vehical too.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:52 AM

All of them are fine trucks, and you will have a blast with whichever one you choose.... so get the one that your LHS supports the most. I have yet to meet anyone who uses their r/c that hasn't broken something. THis is especially true for someone who wants to 'go fast!"
I want to make sure, though, that I get a quick/fast one that can be flung around some. (Donuts, powerslides, small jumps, etc.)
Congratulations on your new Revo/Savage/LST/Genesis! And if you find yourself getting more and more drawn into the hobby, think about this:
For those of you who have been racing your RC cars for years, and have a friend or two who you have been trying to get out to the RC tracks, this article is for you. Feel free to forward it to them.

For those of you who are fanatical bashers, and have avoided racing your rc cars at the local track, hear me out, because I have 5 great reasons you should take a run at it.

1) Hanging out with other RC car enthusiasts- You will absorb new ideas on how to keep your RC cars running at peak performance, just by hangin' out in the pits. Not all of them will be good, some could even do more harm than good. but if you are careful who you listen to, you can learn some terrific stuff that will make your ride handle better, run faster, and be more durable.

2) The game within the game- Its not just about racing, and being first in the heats (altho, that is a huge thrill) but its also about pushing the limits of your RC cars, and fighting agianst the track itself in a measureable way. When your bashing, you don't really get a precise way of knowing how fast your vehicle is. When you race, you will actually know to the millisecond what your vehicle, limited by your driving skills, can do.

3) By being at the tracks, you get to see the latest RC technology in action- You can go to the hobby stores and look at boxes of RC cars and buggies all you want. But if you really want to see what a Hot Bodies Lightning Pro or an XRAY T1'FK05 can do, there is no better, and cheaper, way to do it than hang out at the tracks. You get an even better idea when you race against them.

4) Making new friends- Not that you need new friends, but it's great to have a friend who knows RC cars tips and tricks. Someone you can ask questions, or bounce ideas off of. Or catch rides to the track when your full scale car is in the shop.

5) Just like when your bashing and you finally nail that jump you set up in your backyard, mastering a track is a total rush- Everyone will tell you when you first start racing rc cars, just try to do crash free laps. Isn't that essentially what you are doing in your backyard?

Why not take your Monster truck to the track, and do some racing, and see if you can handle the track's jumps and rhythm sections? I bet it will be months before you have a crash free lap. Howse that for a challenge?

If you have put off racing rc cars because it looks intimidating, your worried you will make a fool of yourself, or smash up your car or buggy, or piss off someone by smashing THIER car up... well, your right!! All of that can happen!

In fact, when I first started racing my RC cars, I made every racing mistake there is. I embarassed myself, I smashed my poor little car up, I was totally confused. Frankly, I didn't have much fun.

But, I fought through it, learned from my mistakes, got some great advice, and now I enjoy every weekend at the track. I strongly suggest you give racing a chance. I think it's the best way to enjoy your RC cars hobby.
courtesy JP Turner
Old 01-11-2006, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: RXPAddict

Is it a bad idea to buy used, since I dont know the history, or is it common for people to buy used?
I agree with tashspop... buying used is OK... just factor in you might be buying a new engine (or piston/sleeve).... the engine is one of the most expensive parts (aside from the radio on an LST) Any other parts are going to probably be easy to fix if they're damaged....
Old 01-11-2006, 03:21 PM

I have a Genesis LE and love it. I have been hard on it, but it is easy to to fix and I get parts shipped in by headrushhobbies.com Pretty fast delivery and my LHS is carrying more and more parts for it. On asphalt my bodies TMAXX is faster in distance but when it comes to dirt, grass, or anything else it can't keep up, just to small I think.. The Revo-TMaxx will turn better and stop better then the genesis, one problem with the genesis is the smaller steering servo. Not that it is small 144 oz but needs a bigger one for the massive truck it is. I clocked mine over 30 mph ( Before hitting a curb) I needed more room to run it and to get to high speed. Out bashing the other day and it is great.

Was looking at the Nemesis and would have gone with that and put in the reverse kit. But for a good bashing truck go with the Genesis LE. About 100 more then a Revo but it comes with the FM radio, fail safe, and is quite larger. The only thing that I like about the Revo is the electric start comes standard.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:08 PM

I suggest a Revo, it's simply the best in my book, for the following reasons:

1. Parts availability.

2. After market support.

3. Durability and dependability.

4. Excellent engineering.

5. Overall quality

6. Most advanced technology incorporated in an R/C kit.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:08 PM

LST doesn;t hadnle bad.. it;s the best if not almost the best handler out there, and has a HUGE top end.. it can wheleie, if that;s what you want to know, and can get out anything it gets stuck in, provided IF the wheels/tired are able to touch flat surface..
Old 01-11-2006, 05:34 PM

good stuff guys keep it coming.

Right now Im thinking LST, MAYBE an Genesis, depending on what I get a better deal on.

I like the way the Revo looks, but what I keep seeing, is "I had a Revo/Tmaxx and really liked it, but now I have a (Genesis/LST) and its so much more fun."

That does concern me.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:39 PM

In order to compare or surpass my Nemesis and LST2, in performance, fun factor and value, I had to put $300+ of upgrades in my Revo, that's why it's now my favorite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.