Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
 HPI nitro mt2 or Jato 3.3. what should i buy >

HPI nitro mt2 or Jato 3.3. what should i buy

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

HPI nitro mt2 or Jato 3.3. what should i buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI nitro mt2 or Jato 3.3. what should i buy

i can decide whats better and want your opinion on whats better for jumping, handling, durability and all around better. I want something that will last me and i wont have to always tune and have to worry about somehting being broke or not starting. Let me know which one you would pick out of the too and why you would pick it. thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 12:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: HPI nitro mt2 or Jato 3.3. what should i buy

I JUST bought the Jato 3.3 yesterday and its on the way. I heard very good things about them, except the stock tires suck off road. So i bought some dirt hawgs and extra rustler wheels for it. From what i see and hear this things are sickly fast. i can't wait to get mine!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:24 AM

ya i have heard the same thing to but i have also heard from different ppl that the suspension isnt the greatest and needs to be set up alot different. if anyone had a jato 3.3 and knows how to set up the suspension let me know. thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 10:41 AM
My Feedback: (2)

If you want something that you don't have to tune, go electric.

Plan on tuning/adjusting your needles EVERY time that you go out. If you run 5 tanks in a row, then you won't have to worry about it after you first tune it. It doesn't matter what the vehicle is. Every Nitro motor (Big block and small block) requires adjustment for temperature, elevation, humidity, etc.

Now, once the truck has been broken in, you may only need 1/8th turn here or 1/4 turn there, but you should ALWAYS verify your settings and performance. Don't simply figure that it is close enough. The people that end up with blown engines (Outside of the very few with true manufacturing defects) are the same people that don't touch their needle settings or don't tune for the weather. If it is 5+ degrees colder than yesterday, you need to richen your mixture - even if the engine temp is close to spec. It is not uncommon to have to wrap the head in tin foil to maintain temps (You want to be above 200 degrees F, but not lean) in extreme temps (Below 30-35).

Trust me, with proper break-in and proper tuning, you can get 10+ gallons out of a nitro engine before needing a rebuild. Also, you will be much more satisfied with the engine's power if you keep it tuned & maintained properly.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 AM

ya thanks on the tips for tuning it i wouldnt have a problem doing that its just a matter of me understanding how much to adjust it so i dont lean it out to much.. and also how lean can u go in hot temps without hurting your motor. i was also wondering if the moto that comes in the jato 3.3 are good motors and if i should get a good life out of it if i take care of it and alwasy keep it tuned. thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 12:08 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Once you get it, you will develop an ear for how it should run. Also, buy a good infrared thermometer like this one: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMG5&P=ML so that you can check your engine temp (Aim it from the top of the cooling head down toward the glow plug). You want to see at least 200 (even during break-in), but not exceed 270. Average temps should be in the lower 200's. Say 215 - 250 on any give 70-90 degree day.

You want to see some exhaust smoke whenever you are on the throttle and Traxxas says to stay under 270 F at all times.

In addition to a good tune, a quality fuel will help you to get longevity. I run 20% and 30% Trinity Monster Horsepower - Power Blend with 12% Synthetic Racing and castor oils. I have run gallons and gallons of this fuel in all of my engines (HPI .25, SH .28, Traxxas 2.5, Mach .26, OS .32) with excellent results, easy tunability and great power. Less oil than 12% is more for experienced tuners, while more oil can make tuning difficult and temperatures hotter than they need to be.

Traxxas has a good engine manual (Also available from www.traxxas.com) that comes with your truck (also, I believe that it comes with a tuning and break-in DVD), so those 2 things should answer most of your questions and ease your worries.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:40 AM

The shocks on Jatos are REALLY good. I live on a rocky street in the usa and i dug holes 6 inch deep on the road like potholes. They were all in a line zig zagged. i took my jato right down the center and it acted like those potholes weren't even there!!!! it just rolled right over them. only 1ce i bottomed it out and that was from putting a big jump at the end. Oh yea and the shock caps will pop off easily. Make sure you have extra shock oil. I popped mine off and i can't find any shock oil in china so i am running them with motor oil. Im sure this is not good but i dont really care at the moment. more things to worry about.
Dan
Old 10-30-2006, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love my jato 3.3..... mines out of commision though ....the only traxxas lhs didnt have the turnbuckle i needed..they had the other parts though ... its a well rounded ST .....
Old 10-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Banned

go with the traxxas a jato 3.3 because traxxas products are really dependable and last for ever i dont really know about hpi that much i bought the micro rs4 and its completly modified and its constanly brakes go for the same on most of hpi's products... go with jato 3.3 better overall!!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

MT2 SS you just cannot beat 4 wheel drive but I would not get the RTR only the .18SS.