Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Any one paints bodies and how much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one paints bodies and how much?

Trying to get a "guestimate" on how much some one would charge me for painting a clear body (Impreza 07) in the Tamiya Metallic Blue PS-16. Just one solid color nothing fancy. I just don't have the equipment and I can't get the color here since it's a flammable substance that can't be mailed.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 PM

Default RE: Any one paints bodies and how much?

prob around $70
Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Are you out of your mind? $70 would be for a 2 tone body with maybe a light scheme. Slap on a single color, back it and clear coat it.

I'd guess that you'd be charged $35 roughly.

Tom.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:36 AM

Assuming the body comes un-cut, do I need to buy a pair Lexan cutting scissors?
Old 11-22-2008, 03:54 AM

well in the Future, if just one color, send it our way....10.00 bucks.....and we'll supply the color....
if your in California,close in Southen California come on in...first time "Free"....just for one color......
but no need to spend more than 15.00 "ABSOLUTLEY TOPS" for just a single color....we been doing it since 1978,since i was a kid at our shop...and i been doing it for the Hobby off and on since 1988
for some of the prices i have seen some of the "R/C" painters charge? you "Should be getting more"
"Primaraly" we do regular cars,trucks,choppers that kind of stuff..."Custom-Custom"
but, R/C Stuff......
most of the stuff we'll do, is around $40.00 kinda the average? some around 25.00-30.00 and there pretty much just like what you would see for around 50.00,60.00 even 100.00.....
ones around 40.00 will include the body most cases...(Yup, body and painted,$40.00)....no not a typo.....
(yea, the Guy Next Door Makes the Bodies!)

here i'll post some pics of some $45.00 and "UNDER" paint stuff....there not On-Road etc. but to give an idea....none of these were over $45.00
and they Included the Body on some......

Old 11-22-2008, 09:36 AM

RGX that is impressive work, great pricing and a very generace offer. I'll keep you in mind when I receive everything. I'm stations overseas and although we get everything via the USPS it takes longer than normal. For that reason I really din't want to have to ask for favors since it would normally take 10-15 days each way to ship leaving me withought a body for just under a month.

I hope you get new potential clients from this post beacuse the prices and work are impressive.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:18 AM
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: RGX Blade

well in the Future, if just one color, send it our way....10.00 bucks.....and we'll supply the color....
if your in California,close in Southen California come on in...first time "Free"....just for one color......
but no need to spend more than 15.00 "ABSOLUTLEY TOPS" for just a single color....we been doing it since 1978,since i was a kid at our shop...and i been doing it for the Hobby off and on since 1988
for some of the prices i have seen some of the "R/C" painters charge? you "Should be getting more"
"Primaraly" we do regular cars,trucks,choppers that kind of stuff..."Custom-Custom"
but, R/C Stuff......
most of the stuff we'll do, is around $40.00 kinda the average? some around 25.00-30.00 and there pretty much just like what you would see for around 50.00,60.00 even 100.00.....
ones around 40.00 will include the body most cases...(Yup, body and painted,$40.00)....no not a typo.....
(yea, the Guy Next Door Makes the Bodies!)

here i'll post some pics of some $45.00 and "UNDER" paint stuff....there not On-Road etc. but to give an idea....none of these were over $45.00
and they Included the Body on some......
What would that be like, working for $.50 an hour? $40 with the body!?

Body $15-$20
Paint $5-10 w/ protectant

That leaves you with about $10-$20 to invest. What about the supplies you use while painting, masking (liquid, vinyl, tape, exacto's, whatever), cleaning supplies, the airbrush and compressor, the electricity to make it all work. This stuff all costs money. Even if your bodies are free, you're not making enough to make it worth your time, or to be in a competive market, and say something like " just like what you would see for around 50.00,60.00 even 100.00....." . If you like doing, and don't mind doing it for nearly free, whatever, but some people charge for their valuable time.

With that said, $70 is a little expensive for one color... But IF I have to buy the body, trim it, mask it, cut the design or plot it, shoot the base color, shoot the protectant, and peel the masking after it all cures. You're still looking at $50.

I don't take on one color paint schemes. Seriously, if you want one color you should do that paint scheme yourself. The supplied window masks, a rattle can, and exacto/lexan scissors will get that done for less than $35, and you will have the equipment needed for doing another one later on. Now if you're not confident in your work, then yes, you should pay someone to do it. If you can find someone as friendly as this guy, take him up on his offer!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:33 AM

Custom G, like I said in my original posting the only reason I posted such a question was because being overseas and limited to the USPS I can buy lexan paint in a can since it's flammable and not allowed to be shipped via air (only way I can receive it). The Local shops around here are not very focused on cars but mostly on planes and heli's. Recently I did come across a person on eBay that sais is willing to mail me a can of Tamiya spray paint, if so that would be all I need. The other option is I get some one state side that will help me with it but like I said before the shipping time would kill me.

Either way I appreciate the feed back and the offers.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 PM
My Feedback: (17)

I understand your situation. I've shipped several bodies to APO/FPO address in the last couple of years. I think it's cool that there are so many militariants into RC!

Check this site out..

http://www.misterart.com/g8420/Krylo...or-Plastic.htm

It's a spray paint from a industrial manufacturer world-wide that sticks to every form of plasitc there is. Maybe there is some located near you.

If that doesn't work, they do make a water base paint as well that is not flammable. That would ship to you no prob, and for $4, I'd give it shot. It's made for a more porous surfaces, but since your going with a one color scheme, sand the lexan where you will painting, rinse it out, and spray. If you give it something to hold onto, it's flexable enough it will stay.

http://www.misterart.com/g4198/Krylon-H2O.htm
Old 11-22-2008, 01:08 PM

Thanks, yet another option from a fellow RC'er.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:58 PM

Blade at RGX does some fine work and at a reasonable price. He painted a couple of lids for me and they came out awesome. Any of you who are looking for a painter, give Blade a call.

Here is another sample of his work.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:36 AM

rgx blade i have a new heil was thinking of aliens 3 for paint job here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19132.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1080712  
Old 11-29-2008, 06:29 PM

I want to thank every fellow hobbyist who either made an offer to help me or gave advice regarding paint options. I was finally able to find a seller on eBay that would ship a can of Tamiya paint to the APO and I did the work myself. It was a very basic project since it was one color but it was my first paint job and Lexan trim (which was not very enjoyable even with the right Lexan scissors). As you can see it’s a basic Tamiya Subaru 2007 Impreza, but I put my own twist to it by hand painting the tire logos. This was done with white nail polish, a nettle for a paint brush, good lighting and a good pulse (no coffee before this part of the project). Hope this helps any other future RC Subaru modelers and thanks again.[8D]

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40747.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1080994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50624.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1080995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74404.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1080996  
Old 12-03-2008, 04:54 AM

"True" if i were just a "R/C Painter" then it would "Cost Me"[]

but since we paint everything, it kinda makes up for it...and since we'll sometimes blast out up 20 bodies a day, like the one we did for "Tree"
it makes up for it...cause right along side we might be doing a 32' rod or a 90,000 Harley....
and since the place right next door "Makes" the bodies, makes it a little better....
"myself" personaly i can do the one i did for "Tree" in about an "Hour" if i am farting around we even have it one one of the Video's we sell,
kind neat has a bunch of little tips we use and do i picked up over the years...
i think that one i did in about 45 mins? and no the Quality doesnt suffer...
heck that place next door sells the bodies too...there like 10.95? better than some of the pices i have seen for the bodies !!
WOW, in Sweeden there the Equivalant of $47.00 USD !!! for JUST THE BODY !!!! it's crazy !!
i just have a "God Given Talent" which i also help to teach our students, i have fun with it...we like to help
Oh i get blasted alot from it??...always have...?? kinda wierd?? we like to help and people rag.....LOL..

i guess one could say we do it in bulk? not like the big "Auto makers" now folding? like a Corvett that sells for 103,000 !! when a Honda or Toyota,etc. are better get better gas mileage,perfom better and safer for under 25,000 ....many will argue that point but fact is you'll see MORE japanese cars than corvett's....
same what we'll do..i mean if a kid comes to my shop and doesnt have 80.00 90.00 for a paint job? i am not going to turn him away??
for example, the pictures you see is one i'll do for 40.00 and we supply the body...
there basic, very limited....but alot of time we'll see the over all basic same design selling for over 80.00???
see for us, and my crew...painting is not a hobby? it's our "Job" so when someone needs it we paint it,then and there be a chopper,a dragster,helmets, really just about "Anything" even R/C cars..and Controlers....so with the Little r/c cars it's fun....i race too, and see all the time how frustrated some guys can get from a $100.00 paint job they got just got "Tore" up because someone stayed on the throttle while on there car? and sometimes, a 25.00 30.00 even a 40.00 job hurts a little less?
so when you do the "Math" if you were doing at our "Peak" we'll do 20 bodies a day....some magazine did a Artical on it about 5 years ago???
at 40.00 ....not counting the other stuff(stickers, masking kits,custom window masking etc.)..."Personaly i can do 15 a day if i put myself to it...it's not hard?? but the other guy with myself,thats some "Coin".....

heck a guy came in yesterday with a sedan? he just wanted a "Red" color nothing fancy? one color? so i told him no prob...he was going to go?? i told him hang on,
5 minutes later it was done?...he asked how much?....i told him no charge....did not want to bother with the paper work...LOL....
he came back bought me Lunch.....so it payed off.... i mean the paint cost me all about .10 cents? maybe less?
we dont pay for "Electricity" were off the grid....were all "Solar Powered" in fact funny "Edison pays me"!!.....tape we buy in huge bulk cause of the Automotive stuff we'll do
so cost are pretty low there....the R/C dept i think buys the Xacto blades in bulk for about it come to around 2.75 for a pkg. of 100....which rounds out to my .02 cents...LOL.
so no tricks no gimicks.....just some cool pricing keeping it fun and simple....nothing serious.....

Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 AM

heres some more stuff was having some fun with hope everyone enjoys !!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:28 AM

someone mentioned Heli Canopy's...???
sure we do those too.....can write me if there is an idea you have etc.
right now were doing one up that is like "Alien" H.R. Giger style....Bio-Mechanical look...kinda cool...!!!

but let me know at [email protected]

and some one emailed about our site?? they couldnt find it...???......no, you wont find it we took it down....if you can believe it it was getting too busy !!!!
was taking away from our regular stuff doing custom Automotive stuff....and when you get someone that drops off a 75,000 dollar chopper they kinda want it Done as best you can.....so i couldnt give my full attention to the R/C stuff...
and the regular stuff...one had to give?
and the 2 guys i had working for me "Doing Just the R/C cars" couldnt keep up with there demand....we were getting up to a 3 week wait on the r/c bodies....and some customers were getting upset?
which i can understand as well being a racer sometimes it could be frustraiting....we still do bodies all the time, just not as much...and if we can supply the body we made a deal not to go over "60.00" if we can help it.....
someone else asked what bodies did we have?
All of them....including truggies....but we stopped cause people "Complained"(thats being nice!) cause they were 7.00 to 10.00 for buggies,and 18.00 to 20.00 for truggies.....so we stopped....
sorry??
but we do have a bunch left laying around? leave me a note? i might have some someone might be looking for?? 10.00
and what we had were: Kyosho's, Mugen's,Ofna's,Thunder Tiger's,Associated just to name a few......
and no i dont have any MP9's or MBX6.....
the guys on ebay might? that sell our stuff but we dont???
but here's how they looked......

and how they looked painted....
not the same body type but you get the idea...
now this one some one told me made the cover of some R/C magazine?
i dont keep up on that stuff so i dont know??
now if they said Hot Rod ,Chopper, or car or truck Mag ,yep..i could tell ya...but R/C mag..??? No...????
but here is one we used to Make, made for the CEN Matrix

Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: RGX Blade

someone mentioned Heli Canopy's...???
sure we do those too.....can write me if there is an idea you have etc.
right now were doing one up that is like "Alien" H.R. Giger style....Bio-Mechanical look...kinda cool...!!!

but let me know at [email protected]

which i can understand as well being a racer sometimes it could be frustraiting....we still do bodies all the time, just not as much...and if we can supply the body we made a deal not to go over "60.00" if we can help it.....
Can you paint up the truggy body we were discussing yesterday for $60.00? I have a cuple of othe clear lids I want you to paint for me if we can work out an agreement.

To all of you who are interested in a painter, as you can see from the pictures that were posted, Blade at RGX does some fine airbrush work. He is reasonably priced and the turn around is quick. I received the last body he painted for me in about 3 days. I could have had it sooner but I couldn't pick it up on the day it was finished.

Awesome painter and awesome guy. Contact him if you need anything painted.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:14 AM

sure all "BUGGY" bodies i can do and for the most part keep the prices "Under" $60.00 providing i can either get the bodies, or there given to me through various donations....
when given to me i usually give those away at fund rasiers,charities etc..

or when i can still get them through "Just Bodies" cause we dont make them anymore....??? same for the truggy bodies.....
there like $10.95 for the buggy bodies...?? and i am not sure if they are doing truggies...??? but they were like 18.00 or 20.00 ???

but for the most part on "Average" to just paint if a customer brings me one...there around $25.00 to $45.00(just to paint) and done in a hour or less ....same for truggys to just paint...
sometimes even $10.00 when there not very complex...those usually take me a few minutes......

"IF" i have to "BUY" a certian body that a customer wants...(Jconcepts,a particular proline etc.) then they pay just what i bought it for ....so say i have to "BUY" a body
a proline for say a KYOSHO MP9..?? if it cost 25.99 + taxes if i am charged etc...say in california the final would be $28.14 + 25.00 to 45.00 to paint.....
again even sometimes even $10.00 to paint if there not real complex......

truggies i almost always have to buy??? except for mine? i still have "My Own Mold" to make the bodies for my GX-5 prototypes and TTR's....so those kind i can get the killer deals on....
but no one has my truggy??....(GX-5) and very few if any run the Thunder Tiger ST-1 well they do but now they call it the "Associated RC8T"

so for example most truggy bodies are around 25.00 to 40.00 say if the body costed 43.99 rare but they sometimes do..
then that would be 43.99 + any taxes costed to me...say for example the 43.00 dollar one..then would be 43.99+tax=$47.61 +cost to paint...anywhere from 25.00 to 45.00
then in some of those cases they exceed the 60.00 make but little i can do on situations on those.....