Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

liquid mask

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default liquid mask

what is your favorite kind of liquid mask or which is the best one you've used.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 PM

Default RE: liquid mask

Parma's stuff seems to be the best right now, but Bob-D's works great as well. Normaly I use Bob-D's, but being that it is thinner it takes more coats to get it to the thickness that I want, and at times I don't have the time to add another 3 or 4 layers of masking if I am painting for someone else. Other wise it works great.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 AM
My Feedback: (1)

+1 on that one. I love the parma stuff. Nice and thick. I use about 3 coats anyways just to make sure that it comes off easy but its easy to cut even though its that thick
Old 01-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Banned

I coat masking tape.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: evil3

Parma's stuff seems to be the best right now, but Bob-D's works great as well. Normaly I use Bob-D's, but being that it is thinner it takes more coats to get it to the thickness that I want, and at times I don't have the time to add another 3 or 4 layers of masking if I am painting for someone else. Other wise it works great.
i've been using the bob-D's stuff and it seems that the fascolor fish eye's when i spray it on after pulling the liquid mask especially the pearl white. any ideas. i'm thinking of trying the fascolor liquid mask.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 AM

That masking you use won't change that, although you could try to use dryer sheets to get rid of some of the static (used on the out side of the shell), but normally if you adjust the way you are spraying the paint then you be able to get rid of that.

I only use the water based paints as well, and some colors fish eye more then others. One thing that helps is spray in lighter coats (trust me you might think you are spraying them light, but if there is fish eye going on then you still might be too thick). Another thing I found that helps is tuneing the air pressuer to the paint. Some times if I turn the pis down the paint won't fish eye, other times I need to turn it up, just keep in mind that goes hand it hand with how the paint wants to be sprayed. Another thing that might help to to thin the paint with a little rubbing alcohol (water based paints only like faskolor, createx) so it drys a little faster (more of a flash dry), but keep an eye on the tip as you will get tip dry faster. (I do that all the time in those steps all the time, and normaly if spray lighter I don't have an issue, but if I do it is a simple fix (also you are better to spray on a test sheet or on the out side on the protective film))

One other thing that might help is to use spaz stix surfface preprep right after you pull up the masking. But I really don't recomend this to any one with limited exp. with painting as when used with LM it will give you some major problems if sprayed on too heavy. All it takes with that stuff it a very tiny mist, as anything more will cause the masking to reseal so it would be like you didn't cut anything out. Also you are only using it to take static out, not clean the surface, that is why you only need such a small mist.