Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New Airframe for YS 110

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Airframe for YS 110

Anybody suggest the ideal pattern/ 3d airframe for a spare YS 110 please
thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 04:03 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: New Airframe for YS 110

CA Models Epsilon is a good choice, plenty of other choices in the US available- not sure what is avail in the UK. MK Top Star 110 is beautiful but intended for pattern specific flying, not 3D.

Hangar 9 has several decent ARF's- Showtime and Funtana 90. Great Planes with the Venus 2.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:13 AM

the synergy 90 3D is a good choice...., check out the excelleron 90 too
Old 05-05-2006, 11:25 AM

Hirobo just released the Astral XX ARF for the YS110. I have one coming. It should be fantastic although a bit pricey and difficult to find.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:37 AM

thanks fellas I appreciate the advice, it may be a silly question but is it possible to modify a pattern plane such as the astral to get a more free style performance as well as pattern. Sacrilige I guess so apologies for offending the pureists!
have fun
Robin
Old 05-07-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The H9 Showtime is designed for such. However, the control surfaces on my Excelleron are very close to the H9 Showtime and 3D performance (at least my skill level, which I would call intermediate) is similar.

Personally, I prefer the Excelleron for pattern flying....it just seems more stable, especially in the wind. The Showtime seems too sensitive for my taste (would probably be perfect if I had the skills for it).

You could also throw the Quest in the mix (no flying experience but I have seen videos).

If you like to build kits (or ARC), then I would really consider the CA models planes like the Epsilon. There is a good video showing off its 3d flight characteristics on acro3d.com
Old 05-07-2006, 02:43 PM

thanks again
Old 05-07-2006, 07:32 PM

Dont suugest a plane that will do both pattern and 3D because it will do neither well. Get an Astral XX for pettern and a Funtana for 3D is what I strongly suggest.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:13 PM
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't make statements like that unless you've flown every airplane available.
There are airplanes that fly pattern and 3-D well and the Excelleron is one of them and
from what I've observed the Showtime is a good one also. It all depends on how sensitive
the airplane is set up. It takes more than just dual rates, the CG setting for pattern or 3-D
must be adjusted and the prop size and pitch is very different between pattern and 3-D also.
Oh, by the way, the 90 size Funtana is one of the worst constructed ARFs I've seen. There
has probably been 6 or 7 of them around here that the fuselage has broken in half after one
rough landing, not what I'd recommend.

tommy s
Old 05-07-2006, 10:47 PM

Yes, I totally agree that a plane such as the Excelleron (which I have flown, by the way) can be set-up to fly both pattern and 3D well. But it will require different set-ups and can't be set up to do both well at the same time as mentioned in your post. Also, since the 3D capable planes have much larger control surfaces, it is much more difficult to set -up to fly with as much precision as a pure pattern plane with smaller surfaces. I am talking about getting the correct throws while maximizing the resolution of the radio. For pattern, using at least 100-120% atv (end point adjustment) and 80-100% dual rates feels and is a lot better than dialing them down to 50-60%. I like to maximize all the precision and resolution that the radio and servos have to offer and I can really feel the difference when I fly the plane. No argument about the Funtana. I have also flown one and didn't like it so much coz pattern is more my cup of tea than 3D. Am not trying to bash or promote any plane here. Just saying that in my experience, I have never flown a 3D capable plane that flies pattern as well as a purely pattern specific plane, even if both are set-up similarly well. I can imagine that it would be okay for sportsman and intermediate, but for advanced, masters and P07 in a crosswind, the pure pattern plane will surely fly better and be easier to fly. Just my humble oppinion based on my experiences.

Jayjay
Old 05-08-2006, 04:20 AM

hmmm..... my G-trick does pattern quite well, rolling circles are a piece of cake on it too, it can also torque roll ! but does not do 3D that well though...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:26 AM

My point exactly because your G-trick is most likely set-up for pattern and is more of a pattern plane than a 3D plane. Any good pattern plane with enough power and the right prop will torque roll but not do harriers, waterfalls and the like. Set it up for 3D and its pattern ability will be compromised and it still will not do 3D as well as planes designed exclusively for 3D.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:33 AM

Since I have the same "problem" as Camel, I am considering also the Extreme Flight Yak 54 68".... but I have some difficulty finding it in Europe....
Old 05-08-2006, 08:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You will have problems finding it anywhere, especially since its not produced anymore...

I did read about one for sale here on rcu for $800 nib[:'(]