Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitech servos

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitech servos

Hi I am thinking of changing my 43oz servos for Hitech HS605BBS does anyone know anything about them.Thanks Gemini
Old 04-27-2002, 04:35 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Default Hitech servos

They are excellent.
You will find they are faster and stronger than the standard servo. I now only use standard servos on throttle and/or choke
Old 04-27-2002, 10:12 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (26)

Default Hitech servos

I now only use Hitec servos and receivers.

I have some 605's and they are great but their replacement, the 625 are much better and only a couple dollars more.

I also use 645's on my rudder. Great servos.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:35 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Default Hitech servos

I just bought 14 Hitec digital servos from Chief A/C. 10 5625s and 4 5645s. I have had great luck with them.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:48 PM
My Feedback: (506)

Default Hitech servos

6xx servos use three-pole motors geared down for high torque. They are not terribly precise, tho.

This may or may not be an issue depending on your application.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:37 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default Ditto

I was just going to mention what Visioneer_one posted. The Hitec 6XX servos are have poor resolution. I have measured the resolution of various servos. The 6XX's new right out of the box have a centering resolution around 2 to 3 degrees. The worst I have tested were Hitec 945's at 4 degrees. For comaprison, my best Futaba and JR servos have a centering resolution of about 0.15 degrees or better. If your looking for a low cost servos and resolution isn't critical, the Hitec 6XX line will work just fine for you.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:39 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Default Straight Info Here

Originally posted by visioneer_one
6xx servos use three-pole motors geared down for high torque. They are not terribly precise, tho.

This may or may not be an issue depending on your application.
This sums it up. Great power and speed for the price at the cost of poor centering. This only becomes a serious problem with long (3D-type) servo arms and big throws or planes that are super sensitive to control surface movement.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:38 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Default Hitech servos

A couple of dollars more?

Servocity prices
605BBS 28.75
625MGUS 39.95
Total 11.20 more per servo. X 4 = 44.80 per aircraft.

so far the 605s are hard to beat IMO of course
Old 04-29-2002, 07:41 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hitech servos

HiTec are quickly becoming the most popular servo in the US.
Congrats to HiTec. Good folks ,good products!
Old 04-30-2002, 02:22 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitech servos

I like Hitec servos, been using them for a long time, but I had one just recently cost me my Hangar 9 Ultra Stik. The left wing servo, a HS615MG quit working. Before it quit it deflected full up, then full down, and I was real low. Will I keep using them? Yep, just the better ones now though.

Vince
Old 04-30-2002, 02:53 AM

Default Hitech servos

Vince, and all the others, I have four of the 605's in my Kyosho P-40 Warhawk. On my third flight I was "testing" the envelope. I tried my first stall turn with this plane. Plane went up tail came around started to fall straight down then all of the sudden it acted like I hit the snap switch, only thing is it is not programmed on this model. I let go of the stick and after about ten to twenty feet is straightened out. I thought I lost a servo for a moment because things felt a little mushy. I landed checked everything with a fine tooth comb and took it back up. A few minutes later I tried it again and the same thing happened only not quite as bad. The reason I am posting this here is that I bought ten of the 605's from Tower and right out of the box one was bad. I also noticed that two of the servos checked so far do not center as well as the some of the others. They will travel past center, when I release the sticks, then bounce back to center. Is this what is referred to as resolution?
Marco.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:09 AM

Default My 605's noisy!!

What perfect timing. I was going to post and ask about a noisey HS605BB servo I have for the elevator on my 1/4 scale Spacewalker. (I have NOT yet flown this plane.) The noise is not a "hum" but more like a chattering sound. I thought the control rod was binding so I disconnected it. It still makes noise when I move it either direction. I can lightly push againest the servo arm with my finger and cause the noise to start. I have stood a distance away from the plane, but within hearing distance, and it still does it. I have also tried it with the batteries run down a little from full charge. Although new, I bought the 605 last summer and don't have the reciept to send back. Soooooo, all you 605 owners out there..... what do you think??? ..thanks .. lownslo

Bob
Old 04-30-2002, 09:36 AM

Default Hitech servos

I've had nothing but superb service from Servo city. I run 225Bb and MG all superb for Q-500 and QM 40's There is no way I'd run garbage in this kind of Aircraft. The 81 and 85's are also Excellent run these for throttles and for combat aircraft.
Pattern Planes and 1/4 scale I run 625's and 945's on the rudder Not a single failure in any or there servo's.
Never ran 605's so I can't make any comment as to wether they are good or bad.

The only thing that concerns me right now is that the factory moving to the Phillipines! Is the quality going to suffer now? If any of you have been to the (PI) in your military career you will know what I mean. Have to see what happens in the long term, whether or not the quality that were accustomed to drops.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:05 PM
My Feedback: (506)

Default Re: My 605's noisy!!

Originally posted by lownslo
It still makes noise when I move it either direction. I can lightly push againest the servo arm with my finger and cause the noise to start. ... Although new, I bought the 605 last summer and don't have the reciept to send back.
Could be a bad amp or a dirty pot. Either way yuo should box it up and send it to Hitec. They'll take care of it.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:13 PM

Default Hitech servos

All ten of the 605's that I have are noisy. Not the typical hum but the loud chatter like lownslo mentioned. I do not know a whole lot about what servos should be used in different applications but I think that the 605 is a high torque generic application servo not to be used in precision flying aircraft.
I am calling hitec today to find out more info. I will post it here when I find out more.
Marco.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:53 PM

Default Hitech servos

I called Hitec and talked to Tony. We came to the conclusion that if I must use servo extensions they should be heavy duty and maybe even buffered. That should cure the problem. Just to be on the safe side I sent all ten in to be checked over. As for the noise I am told they are a bit louder than normal.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:56 AM

Default Thanks!

Hey drywaller......thanks for the info!!! I emailed a guy from their site. Bottom line.... I am going to send it in. I just don't feel comfortable with this thing as it is. .. lownslo
Old 05-01-2002, 06:09 AM

Default Hitech servos

Yeah, better safe than sorry. Besides Hitec service cant be beat. They probably wont even charge you for the service. I sent in a 555 reciever that was crushed in a severe crash and they fixed it, free of charge.
Good luck, Marco.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:48 AM
My Feedback: (37)

Default Hitech servos

Hitec's service is great. Twice, I've had to send Hitec receivers in for service and there has never been a charge.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:22 AM
FCC

Default Cheap Servos

I 100% agree with MonkeyBoy. Hitec Servos have low resolution and wider dead band that makes control less precise.

The simple example of this is that no competion pilot or champion uses any Hitec servo because they are not meant for perfect control and less reliable due to wider dead band because once they are out of the feed back loop the plane will surely hit the ground without control.

On the other hand if you compare JR/Futaba they have precision control. Remember if you save few bucks to get a cheap product whcih looks/works good for sometime then this saving could lost your expensive plane without recovery....
Old 05-02-2002, 09:30 AM

Default Hitech servos

Aaargh! I wish I would have seen this post before I had all these 645's and 945's all MG's arrive for a F3A Aircraft and a 3D 1/4 Scale CAP.
Monkeyboy and FCC do all these series Servo's have the same centering problems? Or am I going to have to attach a Protractor and verify each one?

I had assumed that the quality was as good as all the 225's I use for racing. Now was this a gross oversight on my part?
Old 05-02-2002, 11:13 AM

Default Hitech servos

FCC,

I think most competitors use the brand that sponsors them. I have had 6 servo failures in the last 10 years of so. 2 were mini JR's, 2 were high end coreless JR's, 1 was a standard Hitec and 1 was a GMS standard. The bottom line is every brand will have failures. I know many people flying Jets, 3-D and Giant scale using Hitec servos (not the standard's) with no problems.

Mark M.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:51 PM

Default Hitech servos

As far as I am concerned,....I would use nothing less than hitec 605's in my aircraft....they are VERY reliable and very well built.

Well worth the few extra bucks.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:14 PM

Default Hitech servos

Hey Scorpion, I just wanted to clarify my post. I did not have problems with the servos centering persay. They seemed to center well. My problem was when using servo extensions. I think when using the extension the current is reduced causing the servo to travel past center then bounce back.
I change out the 605's with the ever famous 9202's. The Futaba's seem to handle the extensions better than the Hitec's.
I was told this can be overcome by having the leads replaced with 20 guage (longer) leads.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:37 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hitech servos

The Hitec dollar for dollar were a great deal. The resolution was as good as any of the JR or Futaba in many cases better.
Sorry to hear about the string of problems lately and I HOPE the quality hasn't fallen off VERY recently.
I have been using the 605s in sport planes since they first came out and they have been bullet proof. Faster and more powerful than anything JR or Futaba has available within 20 bucks of the HiTec price.
Drywaller I think what you were asking about referred to as centering. That is how close it returns to neutral time after time. Resolution is the smallest increment the servo can respond to.

If you need real accurate servos the digital and or coreless will get the nod. Again HiTec has excellent offerings at reasonable prices and they do provide superb support.

In the mean time please keep us posted on the outcome of your current problems. My experience till now has been very good with HiTec but if they have indeed slipped we should know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.