Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Cost effective 3D servo???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost effective 3D servo???

Is there such a thing as a cost effectice servo for 3D flying. I would like to fine one for around 35 to 40 dollars if they even exist. Any info will really help thanks.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 AM
Banned

Default RE: Cost effective 3D servo???

What size/type of 3D plane are you talking about.

Servos for a little electric 3D foamy are a whole lot different to those for a 40% gasser.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 AM

I am looking for servos for a 72" katana plane. I will be running a 2.18 engine.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:34 AM

I just found this servo what do you guys think? http://www.hobbyhorse.com/hitec_hs5625mg.shtml
Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 AM
Banned

The Hitec 5625 servos are okay. They''re digital, reasonably quick and have adequate torque but some folks claim that the 56xx series don''t center too well.

I''ve used the 59xx series (mainly 5925 and 5945) with great results they have coreless motor which gives more torque speed and precision.

I also have HS5955TG servos in my 30% Extra and they work okay although the resolution could be better something about to be addressed with the release of the 79xx series.

The key thing with 3D is that, because you have *big* throws and large surfaces, centering and resolution *are* important. Once you start using dual-rates or expo, it''s very easy for movements around center to be quite large and jerky (due to low resolution) or for centering issues to really show up badly.

When I first used the 5955TG servos I found that I couldn''t get my Extra to fly straight and level - it was either climbing or descending. Turns out that the deadband of the servos was set to 2 and that meant I could use two clicks of trim before the servo even moved and it wasn''t returning to center every time. I reduced the deadband to its lowest setting and now it''s much better but I''d hoped it would be even better than it is.

There are options other than Hitec though.

Some of the servos coming out of China and Korea (where Hitecs are made anyway) are looking pretty good.

I''ve used the Scanner SV servos with fairly good results. They''re almost as good as the Hitecs (a little more play in the output shaft) but are about half the price.

Some people have said good things about the HD servos too (Korean) but they''re getting up in price.

I''m reviewing quite a few different servos (including hi-torque metal-geared ones) at the moment and will be publishing the results in coming weeks. Whatever you do, don''t buy any TowerPro MG995 or MG996 servos. There''s a review on my website which shows you why :-)
Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 AM

Thanks for the info I will check out these servos.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

A cost effective servo????

There isn''t anything about our hobby that is cost effective....

Oh, back to the question at hand; some guys I know are running these servos with great results. They aren''t digital but have metal gears, more torque than those particular Hitecs, reasonably fast, and less money:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JSP20071
Old 04-15-2008, 11:32 AM

XJET were can i find those HD and scanner servos.

Thanks for all the info guys it has really helped.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Banned

[link=http://www.hobbycity.com]Hobby City[/url] have both but go read the feedback regarding the company''s performance on the hobby-city support forum at RCG before you order.

They can be rather hit and miss and *never* order anything that doesn''t show plenty of stock or you could be waiting a long time.

I gather that TroyBuilt Models also carry the HD servos, albeit at a higher price.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:05 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Regarding the hobbycity.com hit or miss customer service, I was on the missing end. I had to get an item returned and it took 20+ phone calls to their customer service support line before anyone even picked up. All I wanted to know was whether or not after 3 weeks if the item I returned was received or not. Yes it was. Someone said it was in the office, but no one bothered to do anything with the item when it arrived. Very typical of Chinese businesses. I haven't had one Chinese company with good customer service yet. They do excel in pricing, but that's about it. I did get my warranty item replaced, but it was a huge headache.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 AM

What about the HS-5475HB?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 AM

I've had great luck with the Futaba 3305s. If you want digital check out the Hitec 56XX series.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:15 AM

Or you could take a look at the Hobbico and Tower Hobbies the CS and TS digital servos which are the same HiTec servos but NOT programable. They are cheaper.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 AM

JR SPORT 126