Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Regional Racers & Bashers
 Hobbytown Racing Thread (Grand Blanc, MI) >

Hobbytown Racing Thread (Grand Blanc, MI)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Regional Racers & Bashers Speak with other RC car fanatics from your local area

Hobbytown Racing Thread (Grand Blanc, MI)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbytown Racing Thread (Grand Blanc, MI)

Daylight in the swanps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugggggggghhhhhhhh it's too early. Well if anyones gonna be there I'll see you......

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:13 AM

Getting ready to head out myself. Gonna be a great day for some racing.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:41 PM

Here are some shots of the racing today. Didn't get to run but I had a good time anyways.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13642.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	502590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74721.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	502591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25687.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	502592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19625.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	502593  
Old 08-06-2006, 03:44 PM

Heres a couple more from the other side of the event.

Name:	Xv63886.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	502594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33909.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	502595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91966.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	502596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24209.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	502597  
Old 08-07-2006, 07:34 AM

Nice pics!! [X(] I didn't see that little orange rig.......I didn't think you were there. You should have introduced yourself.........

Man, that was a tight track yesterday. I'm happy with my results. Hanging with big Jeff for a few laps in NT made me feel good. Too many problems with the Warhead to blame myself.............Broken ball end, stripped wheel and I'm still not getting as much steering to the right as I have to the left??? I pulled it apart and checked it yesterday and came to..........well..............I don't know why. It just kept running wide on right handers if I didn't slow down enough......???????.......I can carve it to the left.....it's getting irritating. I've adjusted my end point and I'm getting maximum throw, suspension action is the same in both directions...??...

The guy with the small truggy owned the track yesterday in Monster Truck.

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:44 AM

I kept trying to figure out what you were running, I wasn't real sure. I was down on the grassy end with Rob and Mark. I was gonna run the MLST but I had to leave for an hour or so two different times throughout the day. I will be running at HT next saturday though. I would run this saturday but I have a canoe trip down the Pine river to go get a little messed up at ha ha.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:06 AM

I was right next to Rob(Mirsky, right). I had the red Reebok polo on, Yellow Warhead, Red NTC3. Pat was under my tent. Grant's my son(he was running the electric Evader with the first round of monster trucks). Glad you could make it out. I found out on my way home that I've got a faimily party next Sat.[] I might still try to weasel some racing.........not sure though. I'm bumming because I've got all week off and can sort some things out with the cars(as well as a million other things I have to do)and then get down to some racing on Sat.......Oh well.

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:13 AM

Oh yeah, I will know who you are next time now. Was your son having slipper clutch issues? Well hopefully you can get some racing in. It sucks to have all that extra time to get everything ready and not be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:06 AM

Yea, turns out it was his diff that was slipping. We got it tightened up in the main. It's a miracle it didn't melt the gear. I'm giving the credit to the Tamiya ceramic grease that I used when I did a trackside rebuild a couple weeks ago. I cranked the slipper all the way down so I've got to reset everything before he races again.

Chaseman..........[sm=bananahead.gif] where ya at bro??..........

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:43 PM

Racing is cancelled for tommarow. Dave had to take care of something at work and the shop is understaffed due to people needing the day off.

Bummer..................

Well, one more week to get our stuff in tip-top shape.

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 05:27 PM

Canceled huh? That kinda stinks, I will be there this saturday for sure, unless for some reason they tell us thursday that I have to work, but I doubt it. If all goes well I might have a shiny new Nitro MT to run, that class looked like it was a lot of fun.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 AM

Anybody know if there is any RC racing going on down at the Woodward Dream Cruise? If so that would be great.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:45 AM

I haven't heard............you could probobly contact the folks who put on the cruise??? Not sure where you'd get the number though.

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:49 PM

Right on, probably not then, because I posted this question in a couple of forums and other than the usual quarter scale races no one has heard of anything. Oh well maybe one of these years the rest of us will get our turn.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:59 AM

Well, it's not raining in Flushing...............but I got the call................They cancelled the racing. I guess there's a good chance it'll rain.

Maybe next week...........

Banzai !
Old 08-19-2006, 10:07 PM

I figured it was gonna be canceled it has been raining at my house since about 3:00 am. It really bums me out cuz I was all ready to go with a shiny new RC18B with a Reedy 17t mini mod. I was hoping to be competetive against the brushless guys and do it running a brushed motor and Nimh batts. Oh well there is always next week.

Name:	Pn37815.jpg
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	509835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81277.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	509836  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:00 AM

I think it rained alot more south of me. It rained very lightly here for about 40 min. It was completely dry out around noon[>:] They could have raced...........
Nice lookin 18B!!!! I'm amazed at how fast they can go(with a little $$$ put into them). I might build one this winter..........but I'm more of a nitro guy.

I'm getting the Warhead dialed in but it's only capable of so much. The steering problem was due to binding brakes.......it doesn't like to turn on the brakes for some reason and I found one of the screws had backed out on the calipers(for the second time)causing the discs to get cocked on the output cup and drag. I CA'd the screws in and installed new discs and calipers making sure there was plenty of play in the linkage.

I'm planning for an X1 CRT(kit) right now. I've got another Warhead that I bought for $50[X(] off Mike. It's like new.......but needs a proper clutch setup(the stock setup uses a clip which had come off), and the steering modified. I also had to pirate the motor mount off it cause mine cracked...........and the reverse isn't working in the Warhead I race so I might pull the tranny out of it and send it in to Duratrax along with some stress tech parts etc........ some more to pirate off the extra........
Once it's back together........ I'm going to Ebay it along with some other stuff to help pay for the CRT.

Happy wrenching!!!

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 AM

Hey Banzai, Gonna get a truggy huh? Mike likes his alot those things fly pretty good too. out at the track in holly that crt was bad to the bone. Sounds like you guy's have'nt raced much since I was gone......[>:]

I was gonna go to Bristol this week but, not going. Hopefully we will be racing SAT (NO RAIN )
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE....

I am have racing withdrawl[&:]

Sounds like the warhead is going on the ebay block. You should do ok with it out there.

My chargers have taken a dump and I have to get a new one asap. Has anyone at the track have any good ones for sale?

Ok Guy's talk to ya later.

By the way Nice pic's Fastmax and nice looking truck.
Chaseman81
Old 08-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Glad to see your back! [sm=shades_smile.gif] Nope, I think we only raced at Ortinville, they've cancelled the last two weekends. I'm really going through withdrawls too............I wasn't too happy with last Saturdays decision to cancel, they could have started late and pushed the racing until 6 or 7:00. I had figured the weather would cooperate and was awake until 3:30am getting ready and back up at 7:45. Since I fully charged my packs for last week I've got to cycle them tonight and tommarow. I've got a Nova head on the way for the STS .28. The NTC3 is ready to go.

I'd recommend the Duratrax Intellipeak ICE charger. Alot of guys are using them including myself. It'll do just about any battery and the cost is reasonable for what you get. You'll need a power supply for home(and the track if you've got AC) You can get the charger for a tick over $100 and I'd recommend the Ripmax 20A power supply from Hobby People......it's $70. It's the last charger you'll buy for a looooooooooonnngg time.

Hope to see you guys at the track!!

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 AM

Thanks Banazi,
Yeah the weather has been a bit hinky lately. I am keeping my fingers crossed

That ice charger is the the one I am looking at but I was also looking at the MRC super brain 977
it comes with the power supply with it. tower has it For $95.99
What do you know of this charger Banzai?

NOTES FROM OUR TECH DEPARTMENT
This is the MRC 977 Super Brain Battery Charger.
Charges 1-9 (1.2V-10.8V) cell batteries of any capacity.

FEATURES: Charges NiCd, NiMH, Lithium Polymer, Lithium Ion, Gel Cell and Lead
Acid batteries
Charges two batteries at the same time even if they are different
voltages and/or battery types (LCD displays only one channel)
Nearly foolproof setting for 1-3 cell Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ion
batteries for safe and easy charging
Charge rate with 0.10A increments from 0.20-5.0A
Discharge function for increased battery life, discharge rate with
0.10A increments from 0.20-4.0A
Peak threshold selectable in 5mV increments from 5 to 50mV
Large LCD screen shows battery voltage, charge rate, peak threshold,
capacity, number of cells in pack and elapsed time
Digital Signal Processing filters out noise and provides a high level
of measurement accuracy
12-bit Analog to Digital converter for high measurement resolution
Power Supply and Charger are fan cooled to keep components cool
during continuous charging

INCLUDES: MRC 977 Super Brain Battery Charger with 10A Power Supply and
instruction manual, two outputs with Kyosho style connectors,
alligator clip lead and 110V power cord

REQUIRES: Connecting charger to battery and Power Supply and following
charging instructions in manual according to battery type

SPECS: Power Supply; Charger;
Length: 6.6" (168mm) Length: 5.9" (151mm)
Width: 3.2" (81mm) Width: 3.9" (100mm)
Height: 2.4" (60mm) Height: 2.4" (62mm)
Input: 120-240V AC 50/60Hz
Output: 13.5V DC 10A

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML
Old 08-24-2006, 11:06 AM

Two BIG negatives with that charger..........

1st- It discharges at only 4A, Ice will discharge up to 10A which is much better for your stick packs.

2nd-and the one I really dislike- The peak threshhold setting is only adjustable in 5mv increments, the ICE does it in 1mv increments. In my experience, sometimes my NiMh Rx packs won't fully peak(be warm) at 6mv/c so I bump up the peak detection to 7mv/c and get a much better peak at around 112-115 degrees measured with my Raytek . If you used that charger(MRC) and set it at 5mv/c your Rx packs WON'T fully peak, then if you bump it up to 10mv/c they will OVERCHARGE and you'll ruin the pack in a handfull of charges. Of course it all depends on the circuitry of the charger, I'm baseing this on my experiences.

Another bonus of the ICE is that it has a motor break-in function for those electric motors, voltage and time are fully adjustable.

I also like the ICE's graphing function, when you charge a pack you can go to a graph screen and watch the voltage of the pack rise and drop off, this is a good way to see if your packs are really peaking without looking at the numbers themselves and getting confused.

If your looking to save a few bucks look at the Pirahna Digital peak charger, it's around $50 and will do NiCd and NiMh packs up to 8 cells, I used one for a while with GREAT success. Plus it runs on 120 or 12v. The only negatives are it's limited cell capability and the fact that it doesn't do Lithium batterys.

LMK if you got any questions,

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 PM

Thanks Banazi, I guess I will wait for the ice. It does sound like the best choice.
Thnaks for the great info.

Chaseman81
Old 08-28-2006, 03:25 AM

WHHOOOOO!!! GIT DOWN!!!!!

A CLEAAAAAAAAAAAN SWEEP!!!!!! 8 for 8 !!!!! Ummmmmmm, YEA, I had a good day!!!!!

DJ didn't seem to happy when he left though[sm=confused.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif]

He kept blaming this guy named........Kevin...........said he was on my team.....???

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 10:41 AM

You did rock on Sat Banzai. Yeah Dj was having some problems lol. I never hacked him but I did get a second in the main. Plus I got a late start , stalled out at the start. But got within 4 laps of ya.

Bought a ice last night off ebay Brand New 110.51 with shipping and it comes with a heat probe.
Also got a Futaba MC230CR FET Speed Controller Control. Now all in need is some IB-4200 batts and Shari should be competitive or at least last the whole race.

Gunnin for the hot shot Banazi next Sat. Knock him off the throne

Chaseman81
Old 08-28-2006, 03:57 PM

You'll really like that charger. It's got more features and charging modes than you can imagine. I didn't have good luck with the temp probe. It didn't fit very well over stick packs and didn't really fit tight enough on the smaller packs to give an accurate reading. If you calibrate what it reads to what an actual temp gun reads you can compensate on the charger to peak by temp. Mess around with it. Better put that instruction book in the bathroom[:@] There's alot to read..........

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.