Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Want to get into crawling

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get into crawling

I want to get into rock crawling, but need some input as to what would be a good starter truck for it. My only requirements are that it work good and be waterproof(I somehow ALWAYS find the puddles). Would like to stay below the 300 dollar mark if possible. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 PM
K_B

Default RE: Want to get into crawling

Sounds like you're looking for something that's a bit of a multi-purpose rig; not strictly a rock crawler. I would recommend the SCX-10 scale kit or wait for the newest SCX-10 Toyota truggy kit that's coming out. Then put a Traxxas XL-5 speedo in it, a Traxxas 2056 servo or a TowardPro 945R for steering and a plain ol' 27T stock motor or one of those cheapy Mabuchi motors or the Traxxas Titan motors. You'll have to figure out a way to waterproof the radio box though.

Even so, that will probably still be over $300, but it's worth every penny. Anything under that isn't gonna be near as nice or as fun.

Did a quick total and it comes out to about $350 not including a radio.

You could get the RTR SCX-10 for $300 and replace the electronics with waterproof units. That will total up to around the same depending on if you swap out the servo for a waterproof unit as well.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 PM

I want a full out rock crawler. Have a Revo for the crossover type area. At work there are actually quite a few piles of old asphalt(chunks) that I want to run on, as well as the early snow banks we get around here(part of the reason for full waterproof). I am thinking of a Summit as an electric multipurpose rig, but don't know how well they can crawl, and the price tag on them is holding me back.

P.S. I have a thing against Toyotas and Hondas, bit of an america car and truck guy.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 AM
K_B

Well, you could go with the Axial AX-10. It comes in a bunch of different varieties, but the RTRs don't come with waterproof electronics. If you want a proper drag brag that will keep you from rolling backwards, you'll have to go with a non-waterproof ESC and do something to protect it, like wrap it in a balloon or something.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:28 AM

Found them, and they are quite a bit more affordable than I thought they would be. Also found several pictures of them, but now I'm wondering why I see so many with the battery mounted on the front axle when the pictures of it for sale show it on top. Also, how warm do the ESC's get on the RTR version(so I know if I can seal it with a balloon without trashing it), or are the electronics on the RTR junk?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:09 AM
K_B

The AX-10 is designed to have the battery up to to accommodate regular old stick packs, which are very common and inexpensive and mounting it up top is less of a hassle. However, having that big battery up high plays hell with the center of gravity, so guys started using 2/3A size NiMH saddle packs and mounting them on the axles. Most recently, guys have been moving to lipo batteries and by using a special plate that moves the servo to one side of the axle, it leaves enough room to mount a small lipo battery which is lighter and generally has better runtime than the 2/3A NiMH batteries.

Crawlers draw very little amperage so the ESCs usually don't get that hot. I don't know if that's true for the ESC in the RTR though. The electronics that come with the RTR are marginal at best. That goes for just about any RTR though, not just Axial.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 AM
My Feedback: (11)

If I were starting over buying a straight up rock crawler I would buy the Venom Creeper, upgrade the weak points and save myself some money. It drives every bit as well as the Axial AX10 for less and they both need upgrades in order to handle real rocks, IMO. I hate to think about how much money I've put into my AX10 and my friend can do the same stuff with a Creeper. []

The Novak Rooster Crawler ESC is great if you are not going to use 3S LiPo batteries, but there are others that will do the same thing, have a drag brake and will handle a 3S battery. The Tekin FXR is one that comes to mind. Along with the 35t TEKTT2106 motor, they are a great combination. That is what I plan to get for the SCX10 truggy I'm going to get when it is released on the 22nd.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:05 PM
My Feedback: (4)

+1 ^^^

Allthough I have absolutely no regrets about my Axial even though like Alpha I have dumped a lot more money into it than I initially planned to. The Venom from what I hear is a standup rig, but doesn't have as many available option parts as the Axial... If you want a platform that you can literally build in any direction the axial has the most stuff available.

Also the Axial is the rig that seems to prevail at most comps out here in cali. buit again that is due to the number of mods it has available as well...
Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM

What type of mods are you talking about? I'm already looking at getting a new radio(2.4 ghz plane) so that I can get full control, 4 wheel independent steer, add a working winch, and have some room for future use, and I need a new one since mine's a bit outdated now.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 PM
DS

Straick you got a pm!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 PM

Just got back from the yearly attempt of New York trying to kick my 1:1 truck off the road, and unfortunately, I needed to get new tires in order to keep driving her. Guess the time to get more money for this will give me more time to look at options and what all I can do. Thanks for all the help so far.

P.S. I do have a chance to trade a nitro(one that I don't run often due to no parts support in the area) for a summit, is the summit any good at crawling?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM
K_B

The Summit is not good at what would be considered competitive crawling. It will crawl through a pile of rocks laying on flat ground, but that is only one aspect of crawling. The other aspect is insanely steep ascents, which the Summit is absolutely no good at since it has a terrible center of gravity.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:09 AM

Guess I'll hold onto the nitro then. Thanks.
Now I just have to get money back together again.