Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
 trimaran plans >

trimaran plans

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

trimaran plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: trimaran plans

I cant read austrian/german. Curious as to how the arms are built. guessing a mold is made, but want to see how the mold is made, what it looks like and how it the arms are made off the molds.

yann
Old 03-20-2009, 05:18 PM

Us ebabel fish to translate from German to English. Simple.
It works well enough that you can understand.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@
tommyeflight89

Foilers:
IĀ“m planning to build one with V-shaped mainfoils and a T-foil at the stern just like WIESEL in the rc-network.de forum.
How about starting a new thread about foilers?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:03 AM

There doesnĀ“t seem to be any interest in foilers in this forum -...- anyway.

Plan number 75 has been sent to Sweden.

I`m just wondering about all these folks out there, who are silently reading this multihull related topics, but don`t dare to start the build like TBK - or at least ask for the free plans -...-

What else can I do - except to give out these plans for FREE - to get the class going?
Any useful suggestions?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 AM

I would have started building a long time ago but I am at school currently. I was also offered a job in the same city, so I will need to outfit my appartment with supplies from my workshop at hometo build in the summer.
Good news is that I have space available outside for epoxy/coating/sanding considerations, but basically no power tools. I can't exactly bring the scroll saw and drill press with me....
On the plus, I will now have alot of disposeable $$$ for supplies. Perhaps full carbon moulded hulls will be an option.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 AM

@ tommyeflight89

Are you trying to tell me, you got too much money and you want me to build one for you? *g*
Old 04-01-2009, 11:11 AM

Hey Man, how is the building going?

I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9DXlhlRsxI and decided this is definitely the next project!

You were looking for plans and starting from scratch much as i am now, I was hoping you could send me some of the things you recieved to help me out.

Thanks,

Naser

[email protected]
Old 04-01-2009, 11:07 PM

A friendly HELLO to Kuwait!

Planset No.78 of the "Nightmare Mk.VII" has been sent to you!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 PM
TBK

Idealist

That video is pretty cool. Did you notice the angled fins on the float hulls. Are they supposed to act as foils? Did you try out anything like that in your previous designs? They use those types of fins on the full sized ORMA boats.

TBK
Old 04-03-2009, 09:37 AM

I havenĀ“t used foils in the floats yet. (YES - these ARE foils!)
But TomTest in the german www.rc-network.de/forum did it with his Tripod II.
There are several pics of it and if I recall right, even a video as well - but I canĀ“t find it anymore.
You will have to look for it yourself.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 AM

ORIGINAL: TBK

That video is pretty cool. Did you notice the angled fins on the float hulls. Are they supposed to act as foils? Did you try out anything like that in your previous designs? They use those types of fins on the full sized ORMA boats.

TBK

TBK,

I am currently building a Ghost Train (same design as the video) with the inward angled foils on outer hulls. The outer hulls are finished and getting close on the main.

See more at http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?t=5179

David
Old 04-06-2009, 06:33 AM
TBK

Thanks David

Your design looks interesting. Can you remove the foils on the amas for transport or are they permanently mounted. They look to be quite long. Is there some optimum length that you are working with. Also curious as to why you chose to use the Ghost Train design as the basis. It has a propencity to pitchpole due to a lack of bouyancy in the front. There are several other designs that have evolved since this was designed and they have much less tendency to nose over. Good luck with your build and I hope it gets the desired results. Most of the fun is in experimenting with all the parameters.

TBK

Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 AM

The foils are removable for transport. They are a bit long, but only have a 50mm width. I am going to play with the length to find what works.

I went with the ghost train because I knew someone building one that had templates to cut the foam for the hulls. It is an old design, but still seems to work well in the right hands. Mostly I just liked the way it looks. From what I have read the inward angled foils help with the pitchpole, as does a inverted T rudder, and having the right size rig for the conditions.

David
Old 04-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi David,

Welcome to this specific forum as a member of the small but growing fraternity of Multi Hull R/C builders.

A few inquiries about your utilization of the foils.

How did you determine where on the float hulls to mount the foils (simply the mid-point?)

In the same manner, how did you figure out what angle to use and what is that particular angle of the foils relative to the float hull center line?

What material comprises the foils construction?

My compliments on the way you are documenting your Ghost Train Build. Lots of info and there can never be enough photos! Will be following your continuing build log with keen interest.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Idealist,
I would love to have a set of plans for the TriMaran, I'm wanting to build a sailboat and think this would be perfect, appreciate it!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM

I have sent out plan No. 79 to a Jim Keeves - if this is you, you should have them on your PC by now.
If not, just send a mail to [email protected] and youĀ“ll have them tomorrow!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: eltoro

(snip)...
How did you determine where on the float hulls to mount the foils (simply the mid-point?)

In the same manner, how did you figure out what angle to use and what is that particular angle of the foils relative to the float hull center line?

What material comprises the foils construction?

My compliments on the way you are documenting your Ghost Train Build. Lots of info and there can never be enough photos! Will be following your continuing build log with keen interest.
Thank you for the kind words.

The location of the foils is based on what I have seen in pictures of various boats online. I have some of the pictures in my "Ref Media" folder, but most are not. That folder was an idea that came after I had done a lot of the initial research work. That and what "looked right". A lot of the boat is just "what looks right". I don't have my notes for the exact position in front of me, but it was near the mid point.

The foils are CF helicopter blades. Very stiff, thin, nice and light, and seemed like a good fit for the job. The [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6593]blades I am using are from here[/link]. The mount for the foils is such that I can adjust the length to play around with it.

The foil is angled inward by 50* in relation to the hull. The hull will be angled out by 14*, so it results in the foiling being angled in by 36* from the overall boat. This again what just what I though "looked right" after a few mock ups.

I have been intending to better document the specifics of the build, but it is enough to just get work done on the actual boat... Taking pictures is something that I will continue to do as work moves forward.

David
Old 04-08-2009, 06:37 AM

@ rcelectronicsdude

Good luck for your build!
I really hope you will be able to overcome the longlastig "Ghost Train-Problem" with your foils.
It would be a pity if you have to build another set of floats, just because you had been given false informations.
I have been pointing this out over and over again, but my warnings seem to be useless.

WIESEL from the german forum uses 38 degrees for his foils, so I believe youĀ“re on the right way.

Just one question:
Estimated time of mayden voyage?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Idealist

Just one question:
Estimated time of mayden voyage?
I am working to get the maiden voyage by early May.

David
Old 04-10-2009, 07:28 PM

Tonight I was able to send out plan No. 80 of the "Nightmare Mk.VII. - 20 more to go.

Untill today only four persons worldwide have plans of the Mk.VIII in their hands.

If you want to find out if you are eligible to build the Mk.VIII as well -
just send your request for qualification to:

[email protected]
Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 AM

Plan no.83 of the Mk.VII-version has been sent! - 17 more, to reach a full hundred.

Actually I would like to wait with the broad release of the "Nighmare Mk.VIII"-Design, to give TBK enough time to get his two Mk.VII boats finished.
The only important question for me right now is, if he is done first - or the full hundred of FREE sent out Mk.VII plans!

By now, five persons have the plans of the "Version 8.0" in their hands and a first pic of shaped foamhulls reached me from Thailand! - HEY guys from Australia and Sweden - you should get VERY busy, or Thailand takes the lead! -
_______

Designwise:
A simplyfied Version 8.1 has been drawn by Umut Korkmaz to my spezifications and plans of a RG 65 trimaran are in the pipeline.

Right now IĀ“m fumbling around with a 122cm Version of a scale 12,2m Cruiser/Racer-Catamaran - very simple, but nice shape - to be done of foam/fibreglass.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69457.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	1181267  
Old 04-20-2009, 03:42 AM

Ireland has joined in as well - 86 plans sent out overall.

(and I havenĀ“t counted the german fraction at all - as the plans had been published in their forum in 2007 allready)
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 AM

Scotland and Brazil have joined in - 88 plans sent out internationally - so 12 more plans left for a hundred.
I think that TBK will have his (first) boat sailing, before a full hundred is reached -...-
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 AM

Plan No.93 has been sent out by now!

And plan No.92 was a very special surprise for me.
It went to Mark Baldacchino, the man who bought the first ever "Nightmare"-Trimaran from me in 2000!
Yes - itĀ“s that yellow and blue boat you all know by now.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 AM

Plan No.99 has just been sent out.

And I received very nice 3D-drawings from DUNCAN the other day - Thank you very much for that Duncan!
And IĀ“m looking forward to receive the 3D-drawings of the new Mk.VIII from him soon.

Then everybody gets a much better idea, what the design differences between these two boats are.
I will start a new topic about that -
- as I believe there are a lot of students as well as professionals out there who love that kind of presentation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.