Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Review:   Giant 1/4 Scale Spitfire MK-IX Plans and Templates >

Review: Giant 1/4 Scale Spitfire MK-IX Plans and Templates

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Review: Giant 1/4 Scale Spitfire MK-IX Plans and Templates

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Giant 1/4 Scale Spitfire MK-IX Plans and Templates

On ebay UK, see link: ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-1-4-Sc...:X:RTQ:US:1123 )

I found a set of templates and plans for building a Giant 1/4 Scale Spitfire MK 9

However I asked the seller where he purchased them from, so that I could approach the manufacturer for advice or instructions to help me build this plane.
The seller said that there are no instructions as it expects a high level of ability to build this plane.

But surely he must know who produced the plans/templates? (in fact he has just now emailed me saying, 'Air Classics, I thinks' (Honestly... that's a great help, NOT!)
I tried searching for Air Classics, a model manufacturer who might have produced these templates but I cannot find them.

I wanted to ask this forum if anyone has any views on the authenticity of these plans and if you know anyone who might have used the same plans from this seller, to build this Spitfire successfully; using these exact plans/templates, as I would like to speak to them, if they wouldn't mind, for some support.

Surely there must be instructions available to help you build this plane as there are instructions available for 1/5 and 1/6 scale models by other manufacturers to assist you.

Here are the specs of this Spitfire I hope to build.

Scale 1/4
Wingspan 111 inches
Length 89 inches
Weight range 25 - 32 Pounds
Power required 50cc or larger Gas Engine

I will appreciate any help and support if possible.

Thank you...
Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without seeing some of the drawings, too hard to tell. Most plan sets don't come with instructions.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Many, if not most, plan sellers on EBAY are selling unautharized bootleg copies of somebody elses hard work and are, thus, nothing more than thieves IMHO. That may or may not be the case with this particular seller but if it matters to you than I would definitely suggest doing some research prior to purchasing. You might also consider the 1/4 scale Spitfire offering of Mick Reeves. He lists instructions with the plans, although I have no idea how comprehensive they may be. At least it is a well proven and well respected design with multiple build threads to be found on the various forums. Plus Reeves can provide all the accessories to go with it as well.

http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m...its/p4spit.htm
Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 AM

I do like Mike Reeves 1/4 scale Spitfire....a lot.

Last edited by n.crompton; 08-25-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Almost all plans have a legend in one of the bottom corners. This is usually where the designer puts his name. I just bought a set of plans today, and was given the designers name. I hope it is not a bootleg, as they could have been an original purchase. I think it is pretty fair to assume that the plans are going to be all that you have to build from. If an instruction manual is needed, a full plan build may not be for you. Most large scale kits/plans I have seen, just had points of importance. The majority of the build details are left out. I guess that is what the forums are for! lol
Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 AM

Thanks for your reply. You are right, I am not ready for a full build right now and you can see this with my naivety but I didn't decide to purchase these plans with the intention to build now, they were to be my so called, 'DREAM' build.

I am at fault of being occasionally impulsive! but my point though, was to find out if infact these plans had surfaced before,from this seller on eBay and if anyone had purchased a set of these plans and successfully built this giant 1/4 size plane.
This would have given me some confidence that I have a set of legitimate plans to keep until I'm ready. I am retired and so have a lot of time to practice! Thank you to everyone who has kindly replied.