Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 *Request* Pics or Video to show how to remove a Leo 2A6 barrel * >

*Request* Pics or Video to show how to remove a Leo 2A6 barrel *

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

*Request* Pics or Video to show how to remove a Leo 2A6 barrel *

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:53 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Request* Pics or Video to show how to remove a Leo 2A6 barrel *

Guys...

I've secured a Leopard 2A6... but the seller isn't sure about removing the main gun for shipping. I've assured him that its just a matter of these steps:

- Lift up the hinged gun shield plate that is assembled in step 51, part E1 hinged with pin MS4.
- Remove the MA2 3x10mm bolt holding the black R2 to the metal barrel below it, and the clip on the side of R2 secures the barrel flash (the rear R2 fixture is an MB3 3x8mm self-tapping screw) all seen in step 54
- gently pull the barrel straight out of the mantlet, and presto.

If one of you guys with a Leopard 2A6 could do this in either a number of clear still pictures, or even a short video, to show him just how easy it is, I'd greatly appreciate it. To me it'd be a GREAT relief, as the barrel otherwise sticks out beyond the rear of the tank enough that if bumped (and this is gonna go thru CANAD Customs, not known for their delicate handling...) it could do a fair bit of damage - image a metal barrel rammed into the turret plastics, the attached/nearby electronics, and the traverse ring and upper hull plate. OW.

Can you guys do this for me? I'll owe ya a favor... (mebbe one of those camo tarps I mentioned, the 30" square ones for 'protecting' your tank from the sun, evil dive-bombing Stukas, and even seagulls!)

Old 04-15-2011, 04:35 PM

Default RE: *Request* Pics or Video to show how to remove a Leo 2A6 barrel *

Guys...

No-one willing to walk someone through this simple task? You don't have to completely remove the flash from the barrel... just stop when you've shown the barrel partially pulled from the mantlet, with the flash-lead clearly inside beyond the mantlet shield.

I've got a pic of the Leo the seller sent me (below) where I circled the hinged upper mantlet shield that needs to be flipped up to find the forward bolt that needs to be pulled... I just need someone to ~confirl~ that this is ~all~ that needs to be done to pull the barrel.

Anyone willing to do a couple of pics (or a short video) can contact me (MSN would be fine for the discussion) to see what they'd like me to make for them (within reason, as shipping my first bridge might be a TAD bulky... but a camo's 30" tent-tarp (you pic a simple scheme - Desert tan/browns, jungle greens, or even greys & black) Postage on my dime, and you WILL have it in a reasonable time, short of me getting hospitalised!

Any takers?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79933.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	1594422  
Old 04-15-2011, 04:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love to help you out but I don't own a 2A6 Wolf...I am sure someone here will lend a hand.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteWolf McBride

Guys...

No-one willing to walk someone through this simple task? You don't have to completely remove the flash from the barrel... just stop when you've shown the barrel partially pulled from the mantlet, with the flash-lead clearly inside beyond the mantlet shield.

I've got a pic of the Leo the seller sent me (below) where I circled the hinged upper mantlet shield that needs to be flipped up to find the forward bolt that needs to be pulled... I just need someone to ~confirl~ that this is ~all~ that needs to be done to pull the barrel.

Anyone willing to do a couple of pics (or a short video) can contact me (MSN would be fine for the discussion) to see what they'd like me to make for them (within reason, as shipping my first bridge might be a TAD bulky... but a camo's 30" tent-tarp (you pic a simple scheme - Desert tan/browns, jungle greens, or even greys & black) Postage on my dime, and you WILL have it in a reasonable time, short of me getting hospitalised!

Any takers?

lift the hinged flap

Name:	Ge96098.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	1594432  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Um... don't mean to be rude here... BUT:

If people read the first posting with my step-by-step 'instructions' on what I'd hoped to have illustrated, I ~did~ note that I knew the hinged flap has to be lifted to expose the bolt. Thats why I highlighted the hinged flap, and the AFT screw that attaches the bracket to the recoil mechanism.

What I'd ~hoped~ for was someone who'd open their Leo up, lift the flap and take a pic, and then perhaps pull the forward bolt and begin to pull the barrel, so the seller can see that it ~is~ just that easily removed. He's sending me the Leo, so I don't have one to do the demo pics...

Anyone got a few minutes to do that small demo?

Thanks,
WhiteWolf
Old 04-15-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not just a matter of lifting up that flap. The whole block needs to be removed.

There are two screws on either side of the mantle block. I'm not sure what will happen if the sloped armor plates on either side are glued in place. Mine aren't glued (held with friction) so they kept popping up when I would manipulate the block to remove it.

Name:	Zx69953.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1594468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21744.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1594469  
Old 04-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Whoa...

AH... now I see what you mean. First picture amended, to show relevant parts:

The assembly is shown in Step 58, the 'gun rear' unit that has the turret lift lugs attached to it. Its K5 & K6, glued under K27, w/ 2 x Q10 glued on top, held down with 2x 3x8mm self-tap screws (MB3)

He'll need to pull the two MB3's (circled in bright green), then lift the assembly (blocky red), and THAT along will expose the offending bolt (forward of red circle), RIGHT?

Thanks Cappy, owe ya a tarp if thats everything.

Name:	Zx69910.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	1594513  
Old 04-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the green circles are where the two screws are. I don't have the manual handy, so I'm not sure of the part numbers and such. It may get dicey with the two armor plates on either side, but I doubt it will break anything. As a matter of fact, if the plates should snap off at the glue joints, they may hold themselves in place even better friction wise afterwords.

Not sure why, but I figured it was just a matter of lifting that plate to get to the screw as well.

And don't worry about the tarp. It was my pleasure to actually 'work' on the tank again.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man Ive wanted that tank for about 2 years now but after building a Pershing i dont know if I could deal with trying to fit all that stuff into just the turret of the LEO. LOL The Pershing almost drove me nuts. Well all most finished driving me nuts.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Thanks to all who helped...

Especially Crunchie, who pointed out what I'd missed in the manual (sometimes its hard to see ~precisely~ how summat goes together without it being right there...)

The barrel is safely out, and not I can relax. I should have the shipping estimate tomorrow, and it may even be on its way by evening (no bets/guarantees tho)
And if I can note any items that are improvable when I do my work thgat haven't been already covered, I'll mention 'em.

Anyone planning on making some of that Barracuda thermal camo for the 2A6? Just askin... it looked ~really~ neat.

Next task is to assess the 'saggy turret' issue and see if its repairable, or if I'm gonna have to buy sprues... (will go digging for that thread tomorrow morn, too tired now)

Again, thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM

let me know what bits your missing or have damaged when it arrives I ordered a bunch of the sprues and screw bags last year and they messed up the order and doubled everything so i have tons of extra parts for the leo
Old 04-19-2011, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Darksheer

let me know what bits your missing or have damaged when it arrives I ordered a bunch of the sprues and screw bags last year and they messed up the order and doubled everything so i have tons of extra parts for the leo
Double doesn't sound "messed up", but rather "blessed up"! You're a good and generous dude!
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Darksheer:

Thanks, I appreciate that. It has the classic 'turret sag' issue, so I dunno if I can repair it, or if I'll have to replace the turret casing. Bustle bin PE needs to be cleaned and repainted (sloppy painting clogged the mesh)and the engine grilles got dinged due to the turret sag, may be able to straighten 'em if they ain't too badly gouged. Beyond that I'd be guessing.

Its with Customs Clearing in Windsor at the moment (UPS), so if Customs dun drag its ass (logged in 15:14 today), I may have it before Good Friday (and if so, it ~will~ be a good Friday for me!)

WhiteWolf

PS: and praying Customs dun burn me too badly on the 'duty'... standard 13% should make it $52... but this is UPS brokerage... could be triple that easily (one reason I prefer USPS/Canada Post over couriers)
Old 04-20-2011, 04:23 AM

kk good luck with the customs idiots since today ends in the letter Y you might get that tax or the famous "the sun rose" today tax as well.

Ill look through the box tonight and post what sprues and bags i have

PS dont forget to inspect the box for monkey poop and wear gloves

Old 04-21-2011, 09:57 PM

Whoops...

Mebbe I shouldn't have checked UPS at 01:30... it says it Cleared for Transit at Windsor at 00:30, but it went to Hodgkins, IL (West Chicago suburbs!) for 00:04 (crossed a time zone?) But thats 460+ kms WEST on I-94, dammit! Its moving the wrong bloody way! Its gotta come EAST from windsor, ya bl00dy fools... Across the bridge and up the 401& 416, you m0r0ns!

Then again, mebbe its gotta fly outa Chicago Midway Int'l Airport to Ottawa. Why it dinna fly out of Coleman A Young in Detroit, or Windsor (YQG) Airport to Ottawa Int'l (YOW) Um... is it because Chicago-Midway is Int'l, Young-Detroit isn't? By why not O'Hare or Gary instead? Both of them are Int'ls... then again, mebbe thats where the Windsor Clearance is for UPS outbound-to-Canada... anyone know?

As much as some of you guys trust 'em, I trust the Government Posties (USPS and CanPost) more. Its the Customs Twits that mess the Postal items up... been there, got the horror stories to prove it! (and a few pics)

Hoping it'll be a Good Friday after all...

WhiteWolf

PS: Oh bother... checked the 'scheduled delivery' date: Wednesday, April 27th, by end of day. But at least its in transit again... 04:30 it left Hodgkins, Il !