Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Tamiya Tiger I build

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tamiya Tiger I build

I just ordered the Tamiya Tiger I from AAF Tank museum, (best price including shipping I could find!).
I am interested in some upgrades and need some advice (first R/C Tank build).
Can a smoke generator fit in the hull (such as the HL one or the one from RC Commander? Any experience with this?
Are the sealed bearings sold on Ebay a needed upgrade or does this new kit (Early production) have sealed bearings already?
Any other upgrades that are needed?
There are no battle groups near were I live, so the tank will mostly be a park runner.
Thanks!
Ihave a Futaba 6EX and read another thread about using this radio, does anyone else have any experience in programming this for use with the tamiya tanks?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9798385
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Tamiya Tiger I build

Congrats on a great choice, you'll love it.

Mine is pretty old and going strong without ant bearing upgrade. I did on the M4, but not the Tiger.

In terms of smoke, it's a pretty tight fit in there with dual 7.2s and the modules, the sound box takes up a huge chunk of real estate in the back, it won't be easy to fit a unit unless you find room in the area above the steel hull, below the deck (where they stored rounds on the real thing) or use a different speaker. At least that's my impression of it, I was thinking of one myself, I'm building a proportional smoker when the parts arrive, but that was for some HLs.

Good luck with it and post pics!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM

I know putting in a smoker can be done just cant locate it the post. A member on the forum Steve Shark27 did an outstanding job and also posted a build section on hoe he did it a while back. he may see this and answer you or you may find it in the search.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I've never done anything with a smoker, but I have seen a few. I'm sure, put a smaller speaker in, use only one battery ... it should work. As far as wiring it and the operation, don't know.

The kit doesn't come with bearings but you may have to drill the roadwheels out some to fit. Never did that either for I have WECOHE Late Wheels on my Tiger platform and they are aluminum and had bushings and I don't think they will drill out.

Congrats on the kit and welcome aboard! You will have fun putting it together.

~ Jeff
Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the FAQ thread.... Based on personal experience and about a dozen other Tiger I's in the club.

"TIGER I: (built plus feedback)
No Major Issues -
1) The Track Tensioner could be better - 2) Keep an eye on you track through out the day. The tracks can jump on the idler wheel - 3) Fabricate your own Tension system, or purchase an aftermarket tensioner (Daryl Tuners upgrade).
1) Main Gun Barrel Seam - 2) May cause recoil issues - 3) Careful sanding, filling, and painting of the seam,or replace with metal barrel.
* 1) Gear Box Brace - 2) Helps reduce gearbox and chassis flex. Metal Tracks cause more stress - 3) Fabricate your own or purchase after market (pcomm1) "

Nice tank right out the box. Being the second oldest Tamiya kit, you needed to run (2) 7.2 V batteries when the capacities were small (500 -1000). With today 3000+, and the fact you are not battling, you should be fine with a single battery.

Good luck with the build.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM

Great choice of a tank. You will be fine with one battery of 4500 or 5000 mah. to run for quite awhile. I battle mine and run for most of a day on one charge. I put a NON-Heng Long smoker in mine also. I cut out an area of the speaker box and ran the exhaust tubes through the back plate to the exhausts. I got one of the new type with a small fan on it from RCTankWars.com

Herman<br type="_moz"/>
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks CHIEFSONN,
jrhess3,
Here is a link to my Tiger One Build. It shows the installation of the smoker. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10782923The smoker I used is similar to the one that Phil at RCTankWars.comsells his is a little smaller so it is probably a bit easier to install. I usually run two batteries one for the Tank one for the smoker. I have a switch that I use to activate the smoker when I want it. I don't run it all the time, as I battle with the tank and it gives away my position!
Also in the post is the upgrades I used on the Tiger, I can recommend the wheel bearings (get the sealed kind)it reduces the rolling resistance. You have to drill out the wheels a little to fit them (at least the ones I bought from Mitosal)so be careful. You can trigger it with a dimension engineering battleswitch if you want to use your radio to turn it on and off. http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...s/battleswitch
Here is a link to my video showing it running at Danville last November during a battle break. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHuvtLBw-ko
Have fun with your Tiger One. BTW you should come to Danville this month you are in New York not that far away.I am driving from Florida, (as is Dennis LaPalme)to be there and I know several people from New York and New Jersey will be there. You are wrong about the battle group,you need to contact Bob the Commander, he is over in New Jersey probably less than 45 minutes away from you, he heads up NEAD you can be his 101st member.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29820.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1752113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63419.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1752114  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Thank you for all your help, My tank shipped from AAF and will arrive on Monday, then I will sort out all the advice and see how much more to spend!! My lastbuild was not a tank (Lutzow in 1/144) so this will all be new to me!

Name:	Ay75964.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1752454  
Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: jrhess3

Thank you for all your help, My tank shipped from AAF and will arrive on Monday, then I will sort out all the advice and see how much more to spend!! My last build was not a tank (Lutzow in 1/144) so this will all be new to me!
Herr Hess,
Luckily there are at least 6 very good RC tankers near you in the NYC metro area. I'm only 15 minutes from the Tap. If there is anything we can do to help all you need to do is ask.
The Tiger is a perfect first tank. I bought mine used about 6 years ago and have handed it down twice to my kids. As best I can figure it is about 11 years old now and still going.

Name:	Ol31362.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1752600  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 AM

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Always great to see another boat modeler on the AFV forum.

You'll want to check out Danlrc's work - he's master ship modeler whose work can be found in RCG's Scale Sail forum - who recently built a KT with an excellent smoker onboard. Granted, its not a Tiger I but you'll be in good company following some of his advice. Here's his KT build:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 AM

Who is that young looking guy holding the Tiger?.....and what is that on your TX, a field sobriety test?.....he he.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 AM

If you mean RC Command they are long out of business even though their website is still up.

Russ

ORIGINAL: jrhess3

... or the one from RC Commander?