Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

StuG complete

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 AM
DirtyBird69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: StuG complete

SCHWEEET!!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: ausf

That's what I love about building armor, if you screw something up, put mud, hay or a tarp on it.
~~~~~~~
I like the way you think....... your method is going to save me a lot of bondo and thick paint in the future. In the past, I have had the thought, "why demand a perfect (expensive) model, just buy an inferior (cheap) model and hide all of the crappy parts with great weathering and damage detail? There are a number of models on my shelf that could benefit from your idea.

Rex
Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a plastic Heng Long StuG III G with some mods:

Aluminum reinforced hull.
Metal gears with Promaxx 400s
Bearings in the final drives.
Return roller height corrected.
Waffle zim with ApoxieSculpt (went for field applied look, although I'm not certain waffle was ever field applied)
Brass schurzen and frame (measured off of Voyager's 1/35 PE kit)
Adjustable idlers and metal tracks.
Servo traverse with HL elevation.
Correct recoil movement ala Dan's mod.
DBC RC3 with Spektrum TX/RX
Benedini TBS mini and 6W amp.
Visation speaker.
DBU is in the cupola, you can see the grey/black lenses in the periscopes, those are IR filters.
The emitter is in the mantlet where the bolt is missing. That battle damage is from photos of an actual Tiger.
The Notek and convoy light both function.
Stowage and gear is all leftovers from other builds, etc.
Mud is both Aves and actual dirt in acrylic.
The inside hub tub is sealed and technically speaking waterproof, but I have no intention of finding out.

I think that's it, any questions of thoughts are welcomed.
Some mods.....LOL

Very nice. I love Stugs. I think we had 4 at the battlefield this past weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73877.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1882379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92446.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1882380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66737.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1882381  
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Panther F

This has to be (and I have seen a bunch) THEE best looking StuG!! It is model quality and filled with details you would see on static models like in the 1/35 scale.

Very nice work.

~ Jeff
As the proud owner of the first ever Tam-Long IR Battle Stug III. I concur entirely with Panther F.... it is the best RC Stug III I have ever seen. I love detail and yours has it in spades. Please do bring it to the next NEAD battleday. I want some pix of its in the field. Are you coming this Saturday?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 PM
cav-scout34

Great detail. Looks great.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:12 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again guys for the comments.

ORIGINAL: thecommander

Please do bring it to the next NEAD battleday. I want some pix of its in the field. Are you coming this Saturday?
Bring it? You'll wish I hadn't once I light up everytank on the battlefield. Just kidding of course, my son lets me rotate the cupola 45 degrees so I have a fighting chance against him. Maybe I'll do better with team support and some pointers.

I could make Sunday this weekend, but Saturday's out. Our Scout Troop is hosting a competition at West Point and I'm in charge of the First Aid event. I need to figure out whether the unsuspecting patrols will happen upon a compound fracture or zombie bite.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:20 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Good... can't wait to see it in action but Bob is a tough competitor and you do have one foot in a bucket without a turret so, goodluck!

~ Jeff
Old 05-16-2013, 04:34 AM
ausf

I have one foot in a bucket when I step out of the car. By the time I turn on the tank, my other foot's firmly on a banana peel.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Beautiful job, Ausf! Excellent attention to detail and construction. I'm really quite impressed.

I have never seen any reference of waffle pattern being applied in the field, but that really means nothing. The only absolute is that there are no absolutes. With all the old photos coming out of hiding for the last couple or three years, the variety of both field mods and factory slap togethers is quite interesting. No one can say it was not done, ergo have at it.

Again, beautiful work!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 AM
karel47

great work herman, very battled stug III , just love it
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 AM
ausf

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Beautiful job, Ausf! Excellent attention to detail and construction. I'm really quite impressed.

I have never seen any reference of waffle pattern being applied in the field, but that really means nothing. The only absolute is that there are no absolutes. With all the old photos coming out of hiding for the last couple or three years, the variety of both field mods and factory slap togethers is quite interesting. No one can say it was not done, ergo have at it.

Again, beautiful work!

Thanks Robert,

I have a real bad memory, but off the top of my head I think there was an issue with the mantlet and Alkett pattern or something that wouldn't jibe as is, so I just tool it upon myself to deem it a retrofitted early with waffle. I tend to use my artistic license a lot, mostly to cover up things, just like the damaged rear tow cable. It's damaged because I lost the 4th HL kit part. In reality, I would expect they'd ditch it and it'd end up being used on a farmer's plow after the war:

I know what you mean regarding photographic evidence. Whenever I placed an order from my distributor, I'd grab one copy of whatever JJ Fedorowicz book was just published, so I have a small library of a wide variety of German armor and there certainly is a lot of stuff you wouldn't dream existed. As I come across things it sticks with me to add to a build one day.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:56 AM
ausf

ORIGINAL: karel47

great work herman, very battled stug III , just love it

Thanks Karel.

It's Jeff by the way, not Herman.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Green Amphibian

I have the stug with the 44 dot paint job and shurtzen. Mine is not nearly as detailed as Jeff's outstanding creation.

Herman
Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Jeff,

How did you cut your Schurzen plates and get such clean edges?

Rudy
Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 PM
ausf

ORIGINAL: MAUS45

Jeff,

How did you cut your Schurzen plates and get such clean edges?

Rudy
Rudy,

Believe it or not, I used scissors. I had this pair I got free with an order from somewhere, they're kind of between scissors and snips. They have a serrated edge and cut through the stock without too much trouble, just some curling on the thin pieces. For the most part, I used pre-existing stock sizes, including the angle sections and only cut the edges of the large plates, triangles and the thin brackets and supports. I ran all cuts along 200 grit sandpaper.

If you look closely at this photo, you can see the top of the rear most support on the schurzen has the remainder of the serrations I didn't catch with sanding. The lower support was all cut, as well as the two brackets, otherwise all the stock was existing K&S sizes.

I copied the Voyager set and used a ton of flux with the iron set at 400 C. I also used round stock at all the connection points with the body and fender. I drilled a hole and soldered it together like pins that I used to apoxie from the inside of the tank. It ended up very sturdy, and only one 'weld' popped through all it's rough handling (My son likes to sideswipe) and a few seconds with a soldering iron, it was back in place.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:53 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks, for the details. I already have the "L" angle for the rails. I just need to pick up some brass strip to make the holders for the rails. I was worried about curling when I cut out the shields. Looks like as long as you have a good sharp set of shears that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again,

Rudy
Old 05-19-2013, 05:43 AM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

WOW! On a scale from 1 to 10, Your STUG is a 100! Thank you for the tip on wiring the details down and hiding the wires. I am going to try this.
Great Job.
Thank You.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:04 AM
tch2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

can we see a video of it in action?or driving around?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 AM
ausf

ORIGINAL: tch2000

Absolutely. I was waiting to grab some battle footage outside, it's just been a crazy week.

Thanks Rollin, any questions just fire away.

Rudy, I forgot to mention I pre-tinned both sides when I went to assemble. There was a heck of a mess of solder, don't try to be neat, I went back with files after to clean up the solder and finish-shaping the brass. I don't remember much curling on the large sheets, but any that occured was easily hammered flat afterwards.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM
maintcoder

Very nice work, impressive!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: tch2000

Absolutely. I was waiting to grab some battle footage outside, it's just been a crazy week.

Thanks Rollin, any questions just fire away.

Rudy, I forgot to mention I pre-tinned both sides when I went to assemble. There was a heck of a mess of solder, don't try to be neat, I went back with files after to clean up the solder and finish-shaping the brass. I don't remember much curling on the large sheets, but any that occured was easily hammered flat afterwards.
Ausf, I'm dying to get behind the Stug with the HD video camera mounted on my Panther or Stug. From that perspective it should look superb in action.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well done!  Any details of the build?  photos along the way? 
Old 07-13-2013, 05:07 AM
T Skaz

Nice job! I do like the war torn look a lot on the WWII vehicles. Like I say I'm just getting into the tank RC and just blown away and over whelmed with what is out there. It can be $$$$ so I'll just take a step back and do some more research. I have to show some restraint because now I'm thinking about purchasing a Sherman. And than I would like to get some 1/16 Panzer riders for the Tiger but I don't think they are available. I have them 1/35..use them a lot but have not seen in 1/16. Never stops. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 PM
billinmillstonenj

Amazing work! I'm truly impressed. This is competition quality! ...compared to this, maybe I should run to 1/72 scale
Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 AM
CHIEFSONN

MAUS45 I have used an old school paper cutter on some item in the past using thin brass and or sheet plastic .just for a thought. And Jeff that is on Hell of a piece of art,as I have told you in an earlier posting.....!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.