Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Plastic Tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Plastic Tools

Crazy question, I'm sure. But, I'm wondering if anyone knows of somewhere that makes plastic tools. I have a couple of tanks with adjustable idlers that use wrenches or nutdrivers (pliers can work, too, but not as well) to move the idler and adjust the tension. I'm hoping for the some plastic tools so that I can avoid marring the paint job once they're painted.

TIA
Old 01-24-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philipat
Crazy question, I'm sure. But, I'm wondering if anyone knows of somewhere that makes plastic tools. I have a couple of tanks with adjustable idlers that use wrenches or nutdrivers (pliers can work, too, but not as well) to move the idler and adjust the tension. I'm hoping for the some plastic tools so that I can avoid marring the paint job once they're painted.

TIA
It might be possible to make your own by finding the same size bolt head, heating it and inserting into some plastic stock to create a mold that fits.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could also grab some fuel tubing to put over the needled nose "fingers". I also use this on my hands free soldering grasps to not chew into thin sheathing.
Maybe just a piece of paper towel around the nut to make a snug, cushy fit. And now I have to bust your balls on worrying about paint on your idler....come on man!! Gotta show us pics now, and if I don't see bikini clad women over the engine deck and under-lowerhull?..lighting.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELITE-PERFOR...wAAOSwHQ9WZ1PD

Last edited by TheBennyB; 01-24-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:50 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by philipat

TIA

I would just use a sponge brush or even "dry brush" the marred-up painted area than worry about plastic coated tools.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2016, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Jeff, touch up or cover with mud.

How often do you need to adjust the tension? I can't remember the last time I needed to adjust unless I was doing major work.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hadn't thought of just dry brushing to look like it was supposed to be that way. I guess those would be prime candidates for wear, too.

Took my PzIII for a drive yesterday and found that the tracks were looser than I think they should be. I thought I had them at a good tension, but doing some mud driving and they need to be a little tighter. Shouldn't have to tighten them too often. But, it seems an easier way to get the tracks on and off then popping the cap from the sprocket and then having to re-glue (rubber cement).

The tanks I'm looking at are my PzIII and the PzIV. The PzIII needs a nutdriver and the PzIV (not done yet...but thinking ahead) needs a nutdriver and a open ended box wrench.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0026.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	2143539