Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
suggestions on fighting tanks >

suggestions on fighting tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

suggestions on fighting tanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions on fighting tanks

I am looking for a pair of fighting tanks that work good outdoors for Daughter and me.
​​​​​​​could you make suggestions?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To start small and easier on the wallet to see if you guys like it look at the 1/24 Walterson's offerings.

https://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/Searc...s.asp?Cat=1913
Old 03-04-2019, 05:46 AM

Look like they have been back ordered awhile.
​​​​​​​Anything in 1/16 work good for the money?
Old 03-04-2019, 07:11 AM

Assuming you want RTR (Ready To Run) and IR ( Infra Red battling) ?
Out of the box simple (mostly) plug and play?
I would say Taigen. Imex Erik is on the forums. Shoot him a PM.
Great customer service if you buy from them.
They are good tanks. You can update them if needed if/when they need it.

If you want to build your own custom stuff the you can buy Heng Long (HL), Tamiya, Taigen, Hooben, Clark, and other small custom builders,
and make what YOU want. Lots of electronics out there to customize what you want. Skies the limit, no right or wrong.
Remember its what you want!
Just get ready for an overload of info!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 385 Likes on 243 Posts

Henglong IR tanks work too, im not sure how you set them up as ive never tried but others here have.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:41 AM

The Heng Long airsoft tanks work if it's just you and your kids. From what I hear not a lot of folks battle with the airsoft because it tends to blast the stowage, extra bits, and paint jobs off. But if it's just you and looking for it on the cheap, they're bottom of the barrel prices.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:35 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Most clubs do not use airsoft because their insurance will not allow it. If you use airsoft it's a good idea to wear eye protection.

That said, airsoft is fun to battle with if you don't mind occasionally getting some parts blasted off. It's actually harder to battle with because the IR beam shoots straight and spreads with distance, but the airsoft pellet follows a ballistic trajectory and is still only 6 mm wide when it hits. I battle IR now, but I still remember the satisfaction of hitting an enemy tank at 50 feet that was hiding behind a hill. The IR beams can't arc over a hill.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:28 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a fairly newbie myself who now owns 6 Heng Long tanks, I'd suggest you browse these forums a while and ask more questions before diving in. I started at Christmas and bought the first thing I saw as a gift for my grandson, which was a cute 1/20 scale M60 on amazon which he broke within a couple weeks and no spare parts are sold for it! Then I started looking around and saw that at least the Heng Long tanks have loads of spare parts available and upgrades too. They are reasonably priced, fairly strong and have nice features for the money. Many of the better brands of 1/16 scale tanks (Taigen/Imex, Mato, Torro and Tamiya) have parts and upgrades that will fit them, or can be made to fit them if you're a hobbyist.

While there is a valid argument to be made to start with a better base model tank like a Taigen with a metal hull and torsion bar suspension, the Heng Long all plastic, BB shooting, smoking and growling like a generic tank is a nice place to start for battling around the back yard IMHO. The Sherman and the Panzer III or IV seem to shoot harder and farther totally stock (less barrel to slow down the BB). My favorite is still the Tiger 1, but my grandson is leaning towards the Abrams M1A2 or the King Tiger!

My favorite dealers so far have been Imex/Taigen (Florida), Mato Mart (Canada), Forgebear Tanks (England) and ToucanHobbies (ebay, New Jersey & China). You can buy virtually every part available for Heng Long tanks on Aliexpress (China). It pays to pay up a little if you want your tanks or parts quickly.

Lastly, if you want to play in the yard and not a perfectly groomed lawn, go 1/16 scale. 1/24 is just too small.