Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
FRAG: 1/16th GMC CCKW Trucks >

FRAG: 1/16th GMC CCKW Trucks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

FRAG: 1/16th GMC CCKW Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 10:00 AM

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default FRAG: 1/16th GMC CCKW Trucks

Gentlemen: We have completed (5) 1/16th scale "Deuce & 1/2" trucks....some are RC'd. Click on this link https://www.fragarmor.com/tips-build-threads to see many more pictures at the end of the build instructions (click the picture to access). You may also enjoy the rest of our website including our For Sale page. Thanks for looking. PP

The following 2 users liked this post by Panzerpaul:
dkaniel (05-22-2023), tankme (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 12:10 PM

Received 385 Likes on 243 Posts

That is just friggin awesome man.
I want to build some of those cckw trucks. I have the 3 d files somewhere for the conversion though I prefer to make them static rollers really,
Old 05-18-2023, 01:36 PM

Take a look at my build instructions to see what I did. I had 3D files for the front cab, hood and steps, but the rest was cast in resin from molds I made. Thanks for the compliment. PP
Old 05-18-2023, 02:40 PM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

Hey! I have of of those!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Q3hW13l.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	2272840

Martin was kind enough to share his awesome stl files and I printed 2 and Paco built them and sent one back to me, which was very, very cool. He did an excellent job.

Yours look just great, Paul, I'll have to look at your site for more photos of the one with the canvass top. Is that fabric or did you print it in plastic? From what little I can see it looks excellent.

Just had a quick peak at your link, I have a couple of those JJRC trucks myself and you're already giving me ideas. The windshield dust on your trucks is definitely something I'll be copying. Someday I'll get back to work on the tanker truck. I have most of the parts for it, and a trailer, too, just need to get off my duff. Someday.

Have you seen this one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	LSTECcw.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	2272841

Needs a lot of weathering and it's mostly stock, but the lights work from the TX (a cool spectrum 4 ch pistol grip Jackalope gave me way back when) and it has a camera in the passenger seat for FPV. It's fun to drive at night, too. And as a bonus I can lie to my British buddies and tell them I did that on purpose so they'd be more comfortable with the right hand drive.

Just skimmed the truck instructions. Wow, you guys really went all out. Where did you score the quad .50s? Don't suppose there's any more? I'm always on the look out for those.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:56 PM

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Thank you PanzerPaul - your build reports are always interesting and informative.
Bob
Old 05-18-2023, 06:08 PM

Crius:
What is your GMC made of? metal....styrene...resin...plastic...3D printed ???
The Canvass tops are fabric...... see last page on my build instructions.
There is also a build instruction for the JJRC trucks on that same page....I lowered the floors about 1/4" and cast new tires.

Where can I find one of these? I need a control board that has lights....sound too if available. Is the FPV camera set up stock?

There is a Quad 50 on ebay......here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/204335173346 If you want it, PM me and I'll pull the auction. I'll knock the price down some since there won't be any fees.

Glad you liked the GMC truck project. Took a couple years off and on to get all 5 done. PP

Last edited by Panzerpaul; 05-18-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:58 AM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

Hey Paul, sorry for the delay, I got a new phone and it's been giving me problems. Anyway, my cckw is pretty much entirely 3D printed, and all the design work was done by martin, AKA expat tanker. It's mostly pla, but we used wpl running gear for the motor and axles. The tires are printed from tpu. The fabric is called suplex, something the RC boat guys turned me on to. Great stuff for anything you want canvas for, from truck covers to tents to whatever.

You can get the M35 at taigen tanks, and there still only 50 bucks. They also have the new board kit that gives you lights and sound, but I don't know if it's in stock right now. I still have one of those kits that I will probably use in my tanker truck. If you saw the thread on the tank hauler I built, that was the board used there. Pretty good little board for the price, but you have to be careful about how much weight you ask it to pull because it will shut down if you draw too much amperage.

The fpv is not stock, it's a system put together with stuff from online. Runs on a small three cell battery, but with a step down I was able to make that same battery also power all the 7.2 stuff. The crate in the back of the truck holds all the stuff for the fpv, as well as the controller for the light bar. To view the fpv I have a pair of cheap goggles and also a little pilot screen, but you can pick up the transmitter on anything that will pick up 5.3 ghz.

Thanks for the link, I have one of those half tracks already, they sure have gone up in price. I paid $150 for mine. But what I was looking for was just the quad .50 unit. Commander Bob had a few a couple years ago but I haven't seen any since, I was hoping you had found a new source.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:27 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

WOW Paul! Those are amazing. You went into far more detail than the 3d printed CCKW's that I built for Gary and I using Martin's designs.

Here are a few pix of mine showing the canvas covers. I made the canvas from old bed sheets colored with die. I used fabric glue to do the canvas edges and bra hooks as the tie downs. The cab cover has a wire frame that sits down into the cab and supports the fabric. All the canvas can come off the truck if I want to remove it, but still go back on easily.

The entire truck is 3d printed except the drive train, side mirrors and hitch. The drive train is a kitbash of WPL truck axles and drive shafts, and epoxy and wires.

The Ben Hur trailer is also a Martin design that is 3d printed. The trailer has lights that power off the truck with a plug, just like real trailers.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:51 AM

I like your design choices....certainly simpler and quicker than mine. I will have to try the bed sheet method for the canvass.. Look really good Greg. PP
Old 05-22-2023, 12:28 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Panzerpaul
I like your design choices....certainly simpler and quicker than mine. I will have to try the bed sheet method for the canvass.. Look really good Greg. PP
Thanks Paul. Your models always astound me with the level of details you incorporate, both outside and inside.

I found olive colored die on Amazon for about $7 that did a whole set of old queen size sheets. I still have a couple of yards left over from the CCKW canvas project to make more cargo covers and tarps out of. I'm building another US 6x6 right now (not a CCKW) that will use the same material, so when it's parked next to the CCKW they will have matching paint and canvas. My Sherman also has tarps on board made out of those old sheets.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:23 PM

Gentlemen: I just tried adding these pictures to my original post, but found no way to do so. So.....here they are on the diorama I made for background photography:

Truck 1: 1½ ton w/ rider in rear

Truck 1:

Truck 2: Deuce and half w cargo

Truck 2:

Truck 3: I added a snow effect to the background which put a little more snow on the vehicle

Truck 3: as originally weathered

Truck 4: Quad 50

Truck 4:

Truck 5: Fully loaded w fuel and 50 gal drums (and a bicycle in case the truck breaks down..lol)

Truck 5:
The following 5 users liked this post by Panzerpaul:
Ex_Pat_Tanker (05-24-2023), jarndice (05-26-2023), Pah co chu puk (05-23-2023), Tankhobby (05-24-2023), tankme (05-23-2023)