Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 Anyone have any experience with the old Tamiya "clutch" system tanks? >

Anyone have any experience with the old Tamiya "clutch" system tanks?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Anyone have any experience with the old Tamiya "clutch" system tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any experience with the old Tamiya "clutch" system tanks?

I've been seeing several of the old "clutch" drive system Tamiya tanks pop up on Ebay lately, including a couple of King Tigers. I thought about bidding on one of them, but I wonder how hard it is to get that system to work. I know it only uses on 540 motor. Does a servo activate the clutch system? How many channels do you need to control the drive operation? Thanks everyone.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Anyone have any experience with the old Tamiya "clutch" system tanks?

servo control steering by engaging or disengaging clutch.

i still have a set for Leo1a4 or gepard.

what do you use this for?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:55 PM

Default RE: Anyone have any experience with the old Tamiya "clutch" system tanks?

Thanks for the help. I've just been watching some auctions for the older style Tamiya kits on ebay. I might bid on one if I think I can get it to work.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a sytem that uses a clutch on each side and uses a servo controlled rocker to disengage one side or the other for turning. For something with as wide a footprint as the King Tiger, it lacks in some areas, but is better in others. Where as a dual motor sytem would grind whatever might get caught in the sprocket and possibly break the track(or worse), the clutches on this system would disengage before much harm is done. I own a KT with the drive system and the clutches have saved the track on numerous occasions.

However, you cannot have both tracks turn in opposite directions (pivot steer). Also, without a way to stop the now free rolling side, turns on high friction creating surfaces can be frustrating. The stock gearboxes may have a braking system already, but mine didn't work very well so I altered it. To get the system to work, it must have the rubber pads 'warmed up' by using the 'brakes' to stop the free rolling side.

Personally, after getting a taste of a speed controlled dual motor operation, the clutch system is even more frustrating, even with 'brakes'. But, it is still somewhat interesting because of the care that must be exercised in it's use.