Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 HL Pershing just arrived. . .a must read for Tomzag >

HL Pershing just arrived. . .a must read for Tomzag

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Pershing just arrived. . .a must read for Tomzag

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL Pershing just arrived. . .a must read for Tomzag

Well, I just got my Pershing fresh off the FedEx truck a couple of hours ago -- and my luck must have run out. The Tiger must have been one of the "fluke" HLs that were good out of the box. The Pershing must have been built on a day when the HL factory was having a birthday party for Mr. Long or something (they were all drunk). I went to take my new prize out of the box, and the turrent fell off -- yeah, that's right -- it fell off (not completely, mind you, it was still connecting by the wires). I thought, "well, this sucks." I proceeded to take the tank apart to try get to the heart of the problem. The turret ring was completely unattached to the turret, and one of the mounting tabs were broken. I CA glued the piece back together, waited for it to dry, and then fixed the turrent. Then I noticed one of the wires from the machine gun was totally unhooked (or not soldered as it were). So, I then fixed that. Did an electronics check before I assembled it, and everything seemed okay. Got the tank back together and everything works "pretty" good. The tank shoots harder than the Tiger (bonus), and the smoke generator works really well. Well, here's the downside. The controls are hoaky -- nothing like the Tiger at all. When you turn the tank or spin, it will go 90 degrees before it stops -- not proportional. However, the speed control seems proportional. But the real bummer is that the forward movemenet is jerky -- I'm not sure if it's a gearbox problem or a transmitter/receiver problem. Oh well, you can't win 'em all. So, I'm waiting for the I told you so. Well, maybe I'll be doing an electronics upgrade before I had planned.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM

Default RE: HL Pershing just arrived. . .a must read for Tomzag

I know that you tried to fix it yourself, but can't you return it or maybe write them a letter? They maybe able to do some thing for you. Maybe they might give your a discount on your next purchase???
Old 08-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

I just read it.

I hope the new comers learn from this.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:44 PM

I just don't understand the lack of consistency, even for Chinese factory standards. Oh well, I'll get it lined out.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:39 PM

[X(] Sorry to hear that titan well you will wander from the tiger lol
Only joking bro hope you get it sorted or they sort something out like a discount or new tiger[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Ps HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR LONG
Old 08-31-2006, 08:31 PM

well, welcome to made-in-china world! ive been living in it since i was a kid... you want quality, the tank is green colour!! and that is quality enough
Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 PM

Sorry to hear abt your experience, this reminds me of a friend whom bought a supposely 512mb thumb drive in china for $usd15 thinking he got a bartgin. He plug it in and nothing happened, not wanting to give up on it he decided to open the thumb drive to have a look, inside he was horrified to learn that they glue the usb plug that was cut from a usb cable and enclosed it in a thumb drive casing. Not saying that all china business are unethical, but it happens.

I hope they do give you some sort of discount for your efforts for your next purchase though.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 PM

Who did you buy this from? Cause if it was Mato he claims to inspect them all before shipping.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, how bout some suggestion here. I know I've seen you guys talk about the jerky movements before, I know I have. Check your crystals and swap them out. Make sure the antennas are secure and that the wire inside the tank isn't close to any potential electrical interference.

Were there screws in the turret ring? Maybe some flunky Customs inspector was looking for contraband. On the other hand, if it came from Mato, tell him what happened and ask for a new turret ring. If it came from someone one of the US distributors, I don't believe they stock parts and they'll want the whole tank back, which I wouldn't do. I might be able to scrounge up a spare one for you if need be.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:07 PM

I would be thinking that it was dropped during shipping which caused your problems. I don't know about anyone else but Mato tests all tanks before they head out (so I hear).

I am sorry about your bad experience but I really think this has nothing to do with the tank or the company that sold it to you. One would think at least that they would have noticed a destroyed tank when the tested it or sent it out. If it was dropped then any tank, wether Heng Long, Tamiya, or whatever would have been damaged.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:35 PM

Mine was jerky, replaced the crystalls, and all is well.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:43 AM

Something like this happening is why I just ordered two tanks from Mato. I was definetely looking hard at ones on ebay because they would have been cheaper, and probably get here alot sooner. My better judgement told me to order from Mato because of the supposive testing and 100% guarantee. We'll see how things turn out since they havent arrived yet.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:43 AM

I bought the tank from Hobbytron, which is a U.S. internet dealer. That's the same place I bought the Tiger, and it was fine. I think it would have had to been dropped at some point, or some tomfoolery going on at the factory, because everything was still sealed. I tried the transmitter from the Tiger and the crystals from the Tiger, but it didn't seem to help it a great deal. The good news is that I'm getting more used to the tank and I still like it. It only seems to have the glitch going forward, and it's not all the time. As far as the steering, it is fine when your under movement -- works perfect. The only problem comes when you are trying to spin the tank on its axis. It goes too far in either direction (after you release the control). If you do a regular one track turn, it's fine. I drove it around for about an hour and a half straight last night, and it didn't get worse, so I don't think the board is junk. The smoke generator is killer on this tank -- it smokes like a freighttrain. I like the tracks a lot better than the Tiger, too (although it does seem to be a little slower). It climbs very well. Like some of the guys on here said already, there's no point in sending it back -- the shipping would probably be as much as another tank. If I can't correct all of the little bugs, this will be the tank I gut for some aftermarket electronics -- or I might order a new board. One thing I need to do, as mentioned earlier, is check the antennae wire inside to make sure it is okay. I'm kind of thinking that smoke generator, where it is in the back, might be causing some interferrence. I'm not too discouraged -- I just feel sorry for folks that don't have the know-how or patience to sort things like this out. I would hate for some kid to get a broke tank to start with. But, the HL tanks are still good in my opinion -- you just might have to put a little work in too them. After looking at everyone's comments, I think the next HL tank I get will be from MATO.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:56 PM

greeting's titan20 sad to hear of your troubles perhaps they(?) are selling you old stock[:@] early production runs of the hl pershing.good luck DAN