Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya KT

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tamiya KT

Hey,
If you have followed my posts you know that I have been a long time proponent of Heng Long Tanks. I've done pretty much all you can do to them, except get the airsoft gun to work Burned out on it a bit. Always wondered about the vaunted Tamiya kits but I would rather spend the money elsewhere. A King Tiger would be great but I hear that they cost like $600-700 with shipping to the US. So I thought. I went to ebay and found a KT kit for $250. Damn, that's with shipping included. It's older and not FO but I want to mod it anyway. I thought they were supposed to be expensive.
I have to tell you, this has been a totally different experience than my HL exploits. While I like to mod them it is like the work has already been done here. The smoothness of the drivetrain and the suspension, even with the weak Tam idler, is completely different. This thing moves completely different than my HL tanks. I must say, I am truly impressed. Now,...how can I change it.
Worth every penny,
Perry
Old 07-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya KT

How can I change it? Cool question.

I have converted a couple of old (pre full option models) Tamiya King Tigers to semi f/o and full option, mixing HL and Tamiya parts. The tanks work great, but if you go down this modification road with your Tamiya King Tiger, it can get expensive over time, so be careful. The up side is that if done right, you will get for your efforts a tough, durable and great operating out door tank.

Tips:
1. The compact HL PZ III main gun elevation unit works great in either non or full option Tamiya King Tiger turrets.

Use a small reversing Tamiya ESC (electronic speed controller for non-f/o) to operate the HL elevation motor. Plug the ESC into the receiver. Use a Battery Y Cable to join the ESC to the single 7.2v tank battery.

The HL elevation unit will plug right into the DMD Unit with a plug change. For DMD plugs, email for more info to: [email protected]

Find Tamiya Tank transmitter setup info at: http://www.customrcmodels.com/Tanks/id92.htm

2. Visit this site on how to upgrade the older clutch action Tamiya gearboxes for more performance: http://www.customrcmodels.com/id455.htm

3. If you do not have turret rotation, this is the unit for the non-full option King Tigers. Tamiya still sells it.

(RC Rotational Turret Unit - Hop Up Option Item #53400): http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...p?sub-id=33000

4. Tamiya DMD parts are not cheap, but if you have a lot of time, you can search them out on ebay for better prices.

5. If you install the newer Tamiya DMD Gear Boxes (a drop in modification), use a gear box mount brace found at [email protected]

6. The King Tiger idler return springs should be upgraded for reliable operation, email for more info on a superior kit at: [email protected]

7. This is probably enough for now, but no doubt you can figure out how to add HL sound & smoke units and sync them to the receiver with Y Cables.

Also, the compact HL Speaker box works great in Tamiya Tanks and plugs right into the DMD Unit with no mods. The HL Speaker is a good buy; takes up less room and sounds good.

Hope some of this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35545.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	725238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49260.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	725239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63865.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	725240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23848.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	725241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91969.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	725242  
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 AM

I feel the same way Perry, I have been all HL till I found myself longing for a Sherman. The Tam Sherman is something else, the exposed working suspension was one of the big attractions and from a historical perspective it was an important vehiclle but enough about my Tam. I have been itching to build another Tamiya, it was alot of fun building that damn thing. I have been thinking of the KT or Panther. Of all the tank builds I have seen here the two most extensive were the KT and Sherman ( i think by Stern and Wight respectively ). So from one Tam noob to another, grats on a good purchase! Keep us posted on the build and pics.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:43 AM

Congratulations!

They certainly are expensive, but I don't know of any Tamiya tank owner who was not impressed and happy with their purchase. Your new KT will be a lot of fun, but even though it is better than the HL tanks, it doesn't hold a candle to a full option tank. There is something about the added sounds of the motor, squeeking wheels, gun flashes and cannon booms that really take these tanks to the next level.

My advice would be to paint it and have fun. Then, in a month or two, sell it and put the money toward a FO KT and build it from the ground up. It can be very costly and frustrating to turn one of the older versions into a fully functional rc and even more so to make it FO...and you need to hear the sound of you turret rotating and see your cannon recoil. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Good Luck!
Chad
Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 AM

I dunno how much the FO costs to add but it does add alot to the experience. The sounds, muzzle flash/recoil and precise movements make it worth it IMO. I don't think Perry is the build and sell kinda guy, more likely he will put some ginormous air cannon in it and blow things up
Old 07-18-2007, 10:41 AM

I agree you guys, better to build a new f/o kit. The Sherman and Tiger I are the most popular TBU club tanks. They also seem to be the best of the bunch for ease of build and maintenance.

Adding all the FO mods to an older Tamiya Tank usually exceeds the cost of buying almost any Tamiya WWII RC FO Kit NEW. It is something to do for fun, not profit.

As I suggested, the tanks work great, but if you go down this modification road with your Tamiya King Tiger, it can get expensive over time, so be careful.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:44 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Understand about the FO value but I am happy with this. Besides, don't want their recoil, traverse, and elevation controls. THey will get in the way of the gun (right on the money armchair) FO's are $600-$700 so I think this gives me great value for only $250. Would be nice to have the sound though.
I bought the turret traverse hop up but it is huge and possibly, if it is possible, louder than my WSN one. I'm going to convert a servo. CO2 gun is already installed.
Looks like the idler upgrade will be a good one.
Thanks pcomm1 and your tank looks great. I was wondering what it would look like without the Zim.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:08 PM

Thank you.

Tried zimmerit on a Tamiya 1/16 Tiger I Mid and it is not much fun at that scale. Never again.

Use WD40 and Tamiya gear grease (Tower Hobbies) to quiet the turret rotation gears. And you can use a small reversing Tamiya ESC to operate the turret hop up kit and save the space the servo system takes up. Just wire it direct to the motor. Show us work in progress images when your ready.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 PM

Here's some prelim assembly pic's nothing too special yet. What you see is the kit built pretty much out of the box. I still have a lot of detailing to do and some electronics to add. This thing is really big. It's amazing. I set a HL PIII chassis next to it for size comparison.
The gun in this one is my .177 caliber Mark 2 design with a 315 mm barrel. The biggest I've built yet. I'm not much of an IR apple guy.
I'll load it through the rear loaders hatch. We'll, I guess that kinda makes sense.
I had to come up with a different turret traverse since the guns in the way and the Tam ones are pretty weak anyway. Took an old HL Bulldog to the band saw and cut out the necessary parts. I'll graft this on then control the HL servo with a ESC as you mentioned. I think elevation will be a mini servo.
Man, this thing has been great to work on.
Perry

Name:	Ay76143.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	725919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79434.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	725920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21930.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	725921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11047.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	725922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98199.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	725923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66282.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	725924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74867.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	725925  
Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 PM

Well, ArmChairGeneral was right, you are putting in a ginormous air cannon. Sorry for the lame advice I gave you earlier; explaining things to you like you were a newby. You clearly know what you are doing and I am very interested in seeing how it all comes out.

Very Impressive!
Chad
Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 PM

The turret trav mod is done and was completely easy. The grafted HL parts fit like they were designed for it. The green base rotates cleanly

Name:	Tr50361.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	725938   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43921.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	725939  
Old 07-19-2007, 02:10 PM

Ohh, you got my favorite Turret too, I love that look. Will you be adding Zim? It cries out for it I think. I used Tile mortar on my Sturmpanzer III and it worked out pretty good.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:43 PM

No worries Chad, I kinda am a noob, a card carying Tamiya Noob so it's all appreciated.

I like pcomms tank but I think I will put the zim on this one. It just cries out for it. Since it was applied at the factory I imagine they should all have it. I'm a little scared though. Never done it. Seems like the kind of thing I'll mess up. Got some time to research it and think it over. Can I use automotive bondo? I have a lot of that.

That's the Porsche turret but you probably already knew that.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM

I just popped over and checked out the features of the new KT kit, it seems to offer alot, it even comes with a zim kit and offers 2 choices of startup sounds like the real one ( crank for cold days and electric for other ). I have been wanting to do another Tamiya since the Sherman, this one is looking like a front runner.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=56018

Old 07-20-2007, 02:47 PM

GET IT!!! GET IT!!!!! GET IT!!!! I own 3!!! EXCELLENT KIT!!! While you still can.Tamiya is about to discontinue the F.O.Tiger1,and the king Tiger could be next!!! If you thought the Sherman is something Just WAIT till you see a Tamiya King Tiger.......King of all Rc Tanks!!!! I love it!!!! Here's a link to my collection,but I have to add my Tamiya Panther!!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4986780

Panther link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...tm.htm#5780423
(view all pages for all photos)
Old 07-20-2007, 04:01 PM

Wow, what a collection ! That KT with the interior detail is awesome looking.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Perry,

Great work on the turret solution.

Looks like you still have room in the turret to add main gun elevation. Try the HL PZ III elevation unit and 2 heavy springs to hold the barrel at full up. The motor then depresses the barrel easily, once you adjust spring tension. Use your atomic cannon as a fulcrum, just like the PZ III solution.

I did read the last of Porsche Turret KT lacked zimmerit, probably in the Tamiya Directions.
But since you like zimmerit check out this KT: http://www.naritafamily.com/Scalemod...hoto_frame.htm

You may want to finish this build with a better idler spring tensioner system. The kit's stock idler springs do not work. The plastic tracks will break as they flop around (right side mostly) and or throw metal tracks. Another solution is to anchor the idlers in place.

John

Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 PM

pcomm,
Atomic cannon, I like that Thanks to your sugestions I am now in contact with Daryl and I will get the idler upgrade and stiffening plate. Checked out that link and the guy is a real master. I can only aspire but I'm going to try it.
Anyone know if there is stick on zim for the porsche turret and where I can find it?
Perry
Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 PM

Cool. The parts you ordered will make your KT a solid runner. Again, really neat build.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:32 AM

A little bit of double posting here but I just finished my esc for the turret traverse. Thanks to Darkith's idea I hacked a standard servo into a reversible ESC for the turret traverse mechanism. So that's done. I just need an elevation scheme which I already have in mind.
Here's the converted servo-ESC.

Here's the link for more info
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6144490/tm.htm

Name:	Nl30871.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	729007  
Old 07-24-2007, 07:07 AM

Tamiya makes a stick on zim kit for the KT, it's included with the new kit, check ebay or tamiyausa for availability.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 PM

I'm not sure if it fits the Poesche turret though.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 PM

Since Zim was cracked and broken off over time you could do some of this to hide the slight shape difference, I intend to cut some of mine out to simulate this. Have you given any thought to what tank you will model?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: ArmChairGeneral

Since Zim was cracked and broken off over time you could do some of this to hide the slight shape difference, I intend to cut some of mine out to simulate this. Have you given any thought to what tank you will model?
I can't seem to find the Zim anywhere but that's a good idea. I don't really model towards a particular tank and I could use some help there. I usually make up turret numbers which is a little weak because it doesn't cost anymore to do it and adds to the realism. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Perry
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 PM

I did homemade Zim on my Sturmpanzer III, it was pretty easy using Tile Grout from home depot. I made little spatulas out of junk mail credit card apps ( the thick card types ) then used a small ( 2-3mm ) jeweler flat head screw driver to give it the ridge pattern. Following Sterns example I intend on using this in a watered down form to add a crust coating to my KT before painting. As far as which tank I will do, I am thinking of the odd types such as the ones rushed up to the Ardennes with medium blue numbers and yellow outline. Finding an exact color history of a tank is near impossible, I am aiming to use the information from the period to approximate one. Reading books I have found crews custon painted their tanks, often causing problems with command, in custom patterns not necessarily in keeping with doctrine. I am also sure a cameraman was not always around for the results. This gives us some leeway for artisitc lisense while being historically true in this case Perry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.