Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 Decision on which to get....Sherman or KT >

Decision on which to get....Sherman or KT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Decision on which to get....Sherman or KT

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision on which to get....Sherman or KT

Well my Tamiya Tiger I was completed over a month ago (sorry I don't have a camera to show) and I've got the itch to get another Tamiya Tank. I've got the money to order a Sherman right now or I can wait a few weeks and get the KT. I like the KT but I'd have to get an airbrush and paint (I've never used an airbrush before). Other reasons I like the KT is the turret rotation speed compared to a Tiger I, the size, upgrades, recoil and the sound of the Maybach engines! But I would have to spend an extra $350-450 dollars (For Spektrum DX6, airbrush/paint and a couple upgrades). Total cost around $1000.
Now on the other hand the Sherman is about $100 cheaper (on ebay with shipping included) and I'd only need the Spektrum DX6, upgrade the barrel to 76mm and spay cans....primer and OD green. What I don't really like about the Sherman is no recoil (I know I know I'm being picky). I've read here that the Sherman is easy to build and reliable. Total cost is around $750.
So please give me your choices/opinions/experience on both tanks.

Thank you,
Pzjgr
Old 08-07-2007, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Decision on which to get....Sherman or KT

I personally would get the sherman.... Mainly because there is supposed to be a KT from HL on the way... and no talk of a sherman....

That is what I am planning for my first tamiya...

KT
Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a Sherman is a good choice for a collection, its small and manueverable compared to the bigger tanks, it has the coolest looking suspension, it represents the major armored effort of the allies. You can't loose with either but given that you have a Tiger already, the Sherman adds variety to your collection.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Sherman for "balancing the axis", simplicity and roominess. But, the lack of recoil is a little sad, and the fact that my Heng Long sounds so much like it is a bit lame. A FO KT would be nice for those reasons, but I suspect you can't go wrong with either.

D.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 AM

I have a Sherman and it's really nice. If you want to change to a 76mm gun, you will have to get a T-23 turret and transfer everything. That turret is the original one designed for the GP 75mm and the 76mm will not work. The Easy 8 also has a couple added rear end and back deck features that the E5 doesn't have.
Bill
Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Like my sherman better than my KT!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM

My 2 cents:

I recommend the Sherman first, so you will have an opponent for your Tiger I.

Later purchase and build the KT.

Why?

The Tamiya King Tiger as an out of the box build is a so so performer. It needs some running mods you have not considered, if you are going to fight it on battle days and or really enjoy running it in the backyard.

Of course, if it is an indoor model, the KT mods are not necessary.

The Tamiya kit idler spring tensioners do not work very well, so at the very least those need to be upgraded to keep the tracks from breaking or coming off.

Suggested King Tiger Battle Day Mods:
1. Idler spring tensioner system (email for more info: [email protected])
2. Gearbox mount brace to stop the hull from flexing and deforming (email for more info: [email protected])
3. 3 to 1 gear reduction (KT scale speed is way to fast as is the Tiger I) http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...g:::1_2:2.html

The Sherman on the other hand is almost bullet proof as an out of the box build and as you know, it is budget friendly. And there is a great T23/76mm turret kit available now (email for info: [email protected]).

After seeing the recent Sherman build results of others on this forum I interrupted my Tamiya Panther build (also awaiting the arrival of corrective Panther parts) and built a Sherman with a T-23 turret.

The build is a battle day oriented M4A3 (76) W HVSS/M4A3E8 “Easy Eight†Sherman Tank; Tamiya F/O with TBU and I am pleased with it. It works great and required very little post build tweaking
to get it to run well.

I just sprayed it with rattle can paint, Tamiya Olive Drab TS-5 (late production color) and dusted it with Testor's Dullcote. I will detail paint and weather it later. Probably, will not even drag out the airbrush to finish it. I will dry brush it with PrismaColor Chalk and seal it with dullcote.

Sherman Budget:
Kit $339.
Hong Kong Air Mail with Insurance to CA $115.
TBU $75.
T-23 Turret Kit $120.
Spray Can Paint $23.00
Receiver and crystal for existing radio $30.00
Total Build: $702.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30917.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	737629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24229.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	737630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80274.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	737631  
Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 PM

Thank you all! I really appreciate the great advice (that's why I come here ). I'll be ordering the sherman tomorrow through ebay. Thank you pcomm1 for the info on the T23/76mm turret kit and what type of spay can you use (it's just what I wanted to know).

Thank you,
Pzjgr
Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM

You should still consider getting an airbrush, one thing I noticed when I started using one is that you use about 1/2 the paint to do the same job better. You may wanna do the bearing upgrade on the Sherman, about $20 on ebay, goodluck with the build !
Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 PM

nice looking easy 8. I want to do the same with mine, but am antsy about taking everything loose in the 105 turret and attaching it in the T-23. Do you have guidelines or photos to show howmyou did it?
Bill
Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 PM

Thank you, the T-23 kit is easy to work with and the swap should be trouble free. You will not ruin your 105 turret either. Nick Aguilar's T-23 Turret works and looks great. The T-23 turret operates the same as the Tamiya kit turret.

I wasn't interested in Shermans, but all the recent cool Sherman builds on this forum (including yours) changed my mind.

This site is my primary quide: http://www.rctankhq.com/T23_Turret.htm

Turret Kit: Re-purposing the Tamiya turret parts is a snap. Step 24; Part MY5, gun assembly mount is the only delicate removal chore. Everything else just un-screws from the 105 turret. The barrel and new muzzle break are well done and required minor putty fill and light sanding. The main gun flash unit fits in the barrel, by carefully removing the orange sheathing.

All the original Sherman kit parts drop into the T-23 turret with some minor cleanup sanding and drilling just 4 holes. The IF emitter drops into the new mantle per Nick's design feature. The kit came with an optional transmission cover, mine needed some sanding to get it to fit right, but it looks good now.

Other Mods: This Sherman uses a Daryl Turner gear box mount brace, metal elevation arm and I glued the turret clutch gear tight, but other than the turret kit, it is an out of the box build. Overall tank weathering and detail painting latter.

A few ETO detail parts are ordered: metal lifting rings (the kit includes good plastic rings to mount, but I would break those off during maintenance), metal periscope covers and metal shock absorbers oil reservoirs.

I know guys have done great jobs modifying the rear deck and back end, but I also found tons of online images documenting the Easy 8 without those updates. I did not mod the Tamiya hull to the later configuration. Visit: http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/arm...os/browse/9f30

Attached Images     
Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 PM

thanks for the info. I have one T-23 turret, mounted on one of my Century 21 Shermans to give me an early VVSS 76mm version, so I know how good the turret is. Maybe I will pick up another and do the conversion, now that Mike has a muzzle brake for the gun. . Thanks again.
Bill
Old 08-07-2007, 09:25 PM

incidentally, Mike's T-23 turret is an early model with the large, split loader's hatch. The Easy 8's I am used to had the later oval hatch like the Pershing, which opened outward and extended over the side of the turret. I might have to do some revamping and change the hatch for a korean War Sherman.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:25 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I know that you've already made your decision, but I just wanted to jump in here and say something about the Sherman...

It has always been my favorite tank for close quarter battling between scale buildings. [sm=thumbup.gif] The shorter barrel is so much easier to maneuver and since it is generally set-up as light armor in most people's war games, you get more shots off in a shorter time frame; "shoot and scoot". I think that I spent more time driving mine backward around buildings - firing - than I did driving it forward. It is definitely my Tamiya weapon of choice in an IR battle! Plus, reliability issues are almost nonexistent. I just wonder if you could replace the rotation unit with one from a Leopard. [sm=50_50.gif]

Jason
Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 AM

Personally I'd be in the same predicament as you, I like the idea of both tanks but because of already owning a German tank I would maybe sway towards the Sherman. They are both very characteristic tanks so a hard choice as far as looks go.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:37 AM

What price are you guys (well, in the USA) paying for Full-Option Sherman or King Tigers?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 AM

I got mine from a Canadian seller on ebay for $430+$25 shipping.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 AM

pcomm1 , If you are having trouble fitting the flash unit into the barrel remove the shrink tubing around the length of the wiring. Trim the shrink wrap around the flash unit but do not remove it. Pierce a small hole at the end through the shrink wrap and tie a piece of thread through the hole. Insert the thread through the breach end and pull the flash unit through the barrel feeding it in as you go. It should fit without the shrink tubing. I've done this with a flash unit that i have and it did fit. BTW, did the tips fitting the transmission cover work out? Hope so.
Thanks,
Nick Aguilar
Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 AM

T-23 turret update:

Hi Nick,

The kit trans cover now fits well. I will try the tip on the flash unit today.

The flash unit is installed now and works just fine. Slipped right in, easily, per Nick's instructions.

Didn't even take 10 minutes to install!

Thank you. John
Old 08-08-2007, 09:52 AM

Ordered the Sherman, should arrive in 7-14 days. I'll be saving up for the T23 turret while it ships. Wackywheelz I paid $454 ($339 and $115 for shipping). Can't wait to start building
Thanks again everyone for the help. And Pcomm1 I love your sherman!

Pzjgr
Old 08-08-2007, 06:35 PM

I am also now thinking about buying a shreman. hmmmm.... I have never purchased a Tamiya before. So do I simply need to order a full option sherman? I know I will need such things as selected accessories such as bearings, metal tracks... but my worry is that is there Tanks out there for sale and I am wish I had purchased a different version?

Also what is suggested to be bought as accessories.... ie, turret, bearings, suspension upgrade.... Likeliy I will but the tanks and as I work on my Tiger slowoly buy everything I need....

Thanks...

Hope this is not considered Hi-Jacking a thread... I just thought this was the place to ask...

KT
Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 AM

Some answers to your questions:

Tamiya Kit #56014, Full Option, M4 Sherman, 105mm.
Visit Tamiya USA for kit info: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=56014

Recommended parts for outdoor running:
Metal Elevation Arm ([email protected])
Gearbox Brace ([email protected])
Bearings Optional (eBay)
Tamiya Battle Unit Optional (eBay)

Detail Parts:
T-23 turret ([email protected]) optional, visit (http://www.rctankhq.com/T23_Turret.htm)
Tamiya tanks do not need metal tracks, optional
Visit: http://etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=11
Visit: http://web.mac.com/gpsllc/iWeb/IMPAC...20Product.html

RC System:
First time Tamiya build: basic trouble free 4 channel radio, Tower Hobbies, (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBCP2**&P=7)

For rc set up info, http://www.customrcmodels.com/Tanks/id92.htm

Tamiya Tank Research Sites:
http://web.mac.com/ksoc/iWeb/S.C.A.T./Welcome.html
http://web.mac.com/ethandunsford/iWe...AK%20Home.html
http://tomsrctanks.com/

If you want a German panzer instead, start with the Tamiya Tiger IE, a very good running tank, with or without mods.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:00 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Two points:

The bearings may be optional, but are as needed as the gearbox brace, if not more. They give the tank much less drive-friction than stock bushings. I did my test with engaged gearboxes but no motors in place. W/ bushings in place, it wouldn't free-roll until about 10% incline, w/ bearings, it free-rolled at a less than 5%. Just be sure the seller certifies they have styrene-safe lubricant. Some guys had roadwheels destroyed by lubricant destroying the styrene.

And the Futaba 4VWD AM band Tx allows use of the Tak-Po unit (T-2000 RX/ESC) but there is generally more signal interference. A better be is the Futaba 4YF units (or a used VF if you can get one)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXEFJ4**&P=7

This is a 4 servo package, Tower may delete the servos for a slight savings. It also has a savings of $10 merchandise/$5 cash discount code (until Oct 31, Canada & US only)
Old 08-09-2007, 02:43 AM

Thanks Pcomm...

I have a HL Tiger and PzIII... I thought I would get a sherman from Tamiya to add some variety to my personal armoured divsion.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP... Back to my F01 while I ponder and dream... hmmm....

PS I have found, with shipping... I am looking at about 460 US... that sound about right?

THANKS

KT
Old 08-09-2007, 11:26 AM

Yes that's right KT. Going to see if there any bearings for the Sherman in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.